Rasmussen: Steele(R) catching up to Dems
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 01:28:13 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2006 Elections
  2006 Senatorial Election Polls
  Rasmussen: Steele(R) catching up to Dems
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Rasmussen: Steele(R) catching up to Dems  (Read 1693 times)
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 14, 2006, 03:55:57 PM »
« edited: July 17, 2006, 08:17:09 PM by olawakandi »

New Poll: Maryland Senator by Rasmussen on 2006-07-10

Summary: D: 47%, R: 41%, U: 0%

Poll Source URL: Full Poll Details

Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.65

« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2006, 07:07:55 AM »

Just as a side note, there was a story in the Baltimore Examiner yesterday that stated Steele wants to run a clean campaign and leave all negative advertising out of the race just as long as both democrats agreed.

Downwinder

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -6.43

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2006, 12:51:20 PM »

If both Cardin and Mfume are leading Steele, I'd almost like to see a Senator Mfume next year.  His would be an interesting perspective in the US Senate.
Mike in Maryland
Rookie

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2006, 01:31:53 PM »

Well, Mfume's lead is within the margin of error--still a bit too close for me to feel comfortable yet, though better than he was often doing earlier in the campaign.

The Cardin/Steele result is somewhat closer than most other recent reliable polls have had, though I'm not sure if that's a trend or just "statistical noise". (500 voters can provide a sizable margin of error.)  Rasmussen has been all over the lot in polling this race (and several others) so I take his results with a grain of salt.  Still, this doesn't look too much off base compared to others, though I have questions about his methodology.
Virginian87
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: -3.55, S: 2.70

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2006, 04:33:45 PM »

If both Cardin and Mfume are leading Steele, I'd almost like to see a Senator Mfume next year. 

Why would you want an idiot like that in the Senate?  I believe Cardin is much more qualified, since he would be more receptive to Maryland's needs.  Mfume strikes me as a man who would pander to the needs of blacks and no one else.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2006, 05:03:03 PM »

Well Kweisi Mfume and blacks thinks the black needs correspond to the needs of liberals. Raising the minimum wage, increase spending for education, and getting out of a civil war in Iraq. Those are the same needs as alot of liberals. 
Mike in Maryland
Rookie

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2006, 10:43:01 AM »

The Baltimore Sun just put out a new poll showing Cardin leading Steele by 11 and Mfume ahead by 2.  In the Democratic primary, Cardin led Mfume by 4 points with about a third still undecided.
Downwinder

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -6.43

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2006, 01:07:04 PM »

First, when is the dem primary in Maryland?

I only say that I'd almost like to see a Senator Mfume, because I think he might be a truly interesting voice in the senate, like the future Senator Sanders from Vermont.  He would advocate for causes that I think are often ignored, which are the causes of many liberals as well.  I also think it would be a good thing to have a US Senator who would pander to the black population.  After all these years, I think blacks in America still could use a powerful voice inside one of the most powerful institutions in the world.  I don't think he'd neccesarily ignore the needs of the citizens of Maryland while doing this.  Like many of our female Senators, he'd have to find a balance between representing his state, and representing his background (blacks).  Plus, I don't live in Maryland, so who represents them doesn't really matter to me; If I lived there, I'd probably vote for Cardin, but since I don't, it's easy to root for Mfume.
Adlai Stevenson
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2006, 05:17:17 PM »

I think that Mfume could be elected, albeit narrowly, however, I fear that his approvals would not be great.  He seems like a possibly volatile, foot-in-mouth politician.  2012 could be hard for him.

With Cardin, you just get the sense that he's sound and solid as a moderate to liberal Democrat, the perfect fit for Maryland.  Although it would be nice to see another black Senator, and I would be among the undecideds at this stage, I feel Cardin deserves to win. 
AuH2O
YaBB God

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2006, 05:29:13 PM »

Mfume cannot beat Steele statewide, period. There really isn't a whole lot else to say. If you know anything about politics and can bring your pro-Dem bias down from +8,000,000% for one second, it would be rather obvious.

Steele holds the entire GOP. Independents lean Steele. White Dems defect in relatively high quantities. Game over. He doesn't even need black votes.
Mike in Maryland
Rookie

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2006, 07:26:18 PM »

Mfume cannot beat Steele statewide, period. There really isn't a whole lot else to say. If you know anything about politics and can bring your pro-Dem bias down from +8,000,000% for one second, it would be rather obvious.

Steele holds the entire GOP. Independents lean Steele. White Dems defect in relatively high quantities. Game over. He doesn't even need black votes.

Not so fast.  There are a lot of liberal white Democrats and independents, especially in the DC suburbs (where I live), that will vote for Mfume if nominated.   Whatever the race or personal characteristics of the candidates, these voters are not going to vote to give another Senate seat to the party of George W. Bush.

That said, I'm not sure if there are enough of those voters to put Mfume over the top.  The Baltimore area has a lot of more conservative white Democrats and independents that will defect from Mfume, though not necessarily enough to swing the election.   Most of them will likely stick by Cardin, however.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2006, 01:15:59 AM »

Cardin will be Maryland's next senator (or at least lets hope he is).
GOP = Terrorists
Progress

« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2006, 05:59:27 PM »

Why would you want an idiot like that in the Senate?  I believe Mfume is much more qualified, since he would be more receptive to Maryland's needs.  Cardin strikes me as a man who would pander to the needs of Jews and no one else.

See how lame that sounds?
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.25, S: -2.72

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2006, 06:00:59 PM »

Steele has no shot.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to: