Impeachment of the President (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 02:45:39 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Impeachment of the President (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Impeachment of the President  (Read 10885 times)
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« on: July 15, 2006, 08:41:28 AM »

As Chief Justice, I am required by law to preside over the Senate while it considers articles of impeachment. Senator Jerusalemcar5 made the following statement:

Under Article 1, Section 2, Clause 1 of the Second Constitution of Atlasia I hereby call for impeachment proceedings to begin against President Ebowed for comitting several acts of murder, most notably Southeast Governor Harry. 

Further articles of impeachment may be presented by Senators at this time.
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2006, 12:37:34 PM »
« Edited: July 15, 2006, 12:54:49 PM by Emsworth »

Before I accept the withdrawal of the article of impeachment, I have to ask Senator EarlAW to clarify whether this post was a call for impeachment proceedings.

Also, I would request Senator Captain Vlad to clarify whether this post was a request to start impeachment proceedings, or merely a suggestion that was put up for discussion.
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2006, 07:51:55 AM »
« Edited: July 16, 2006, 08:01:02 AM by Emsworth »

While this may be a deeply unpopular move, I feel I must ask that impeachment proceedings be brought.

Whilest I feel that up until a few days ago, Ebowed was a President of the highest order who I was greatly pleased to see re-elected, I do not share my colleagues predilictions in favour of simply forgetting the recent incidents - an attitude I find quite disturbing.

The actions of recent days, I feel, represent, a gross violation and abdication of responsibilities which demand reproachment. Without this, we are sending a message that the recent actions were acceptable. To me, they were not.

As I say, I do not make this statement and call for impeachment proceedings lightly, but I feel it is the principled thing to do.
In that case, I would request Senator Jas, as well as any other Senators who wish for impeachment, to present formal articles of impeachment that outline the high crimes and misdemeanors allegedly committed by the President.

Each separate alleged offense should be named in a separate article of impeachment.
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2006, 08:46:18 PM »

This is GAY.  If yall are going to impeach him, impeach him for MURDER, not other stuff...otherwise just shut up and get back to business (I'd rather the latter).

Yes, I'd say that was a good reason. Well, not murder, but attempted murder Wink
The Senator is free to introduce an article of impeachment that charges the President with murder/ attempted murder.
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2006, 12:18:19 PM »

Under the rules of the Senate, voting begins when twenty-four hours have passed without debate from any Senator. This twenty-four hour time period is about to be completed; a vote will be opened in a new thread.
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2006, 12:30:10 PM »

Under the rules of the Senate, voting begins when twenty-four hours have passed without debate from any Senator. This twenty-four hour time period is about to be completed; a vote will be opened in a new thread.

I would ask for direction as to the rules for conduct of impeachment proceedings.
The Constitution suggests that impeachment proceedings may brought "In the same manner as the proposition of a Bill." Thus, the rules that normally apply to legislation also apply to articles of impeachment.

Just to note, this is just a vote on whether to impeach the President. If impeached, a trial must be held before the people. There is no official impeachment trial procedure written down anywhere, so we will just have to adhere to normal parliamentary procedure.
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2006, 12:38:31 PM »

A literal reading indicates that the similarity in procedure referes only to the proposal of the articles, not to voting rules, etc.
Correct. However, as the Senate has not adopted special rules relating to impeachment, it seemed appropriate to apply the normal procedures.

In any event, voting has been suspended for now, if the Senator has further comments. However, I will note that the Senator does not have the constitutional right to question the defendant (unless the defendant wishes to answer). No-one may be compelled to incriminate himself.
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2006, 07:48:51 PM »

Do any Senators have further comments?
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2006, 07:44:23 AM »

Senators, voting is now open.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies