The Other Hoover
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 08:17:12 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  Past Election What-ifs (US) (Moderator: Dereich)
  The Other Hoover
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Other Hoover  (Read 1187 times)
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 26, 2006, 10:14:53 PM »
« edited: August 04, 2006, 10:36:03 AM by Winfield »

It is November, 1959, one year before the open Presidential election of 1960. 

There will be no incumbent running, and J. Edgar Hoover decides it's now or never.   

Having been FBI Director since 1924, and about to turn 65 years old on January 1, 1960, J. Edgar decides he wants a change of pace, and casts a covetous eye on the office of the Presidency of the United States.

Born January 1, 1895, in Washington DC, the seat of power, Hoover takes this as a good sign for his expanding ambitions.

He meets with his most trusted friends and advisors at his home in Washington DC, tells them of his plans to run for President, and solicits their views and feedback, especially from Associate FBI Director and trusted confidante Clyde Tolson.

"You'll probably think I've taken leave of my senses," says Hoover, "but I don't like the direction I can see this nation headed over the next 4 years.  Our great military President, Ike, is leaving office, and I don't see anyone of any stature to replace him.  On the Republican side, you've got that sleaze Dick Nixon.  He can't be trusted, believe me.  You've got the billionaire Governor of New York, Nelson Rockefeller, who will try to buy his way into the Presidency in order to expand his family's power and influence even further."

"You think the Republicans are bad?  Take a look at the Democrats.  There's that rich, spoiled Massachusetts upstart, John Kennedy, heir to a fortune made in liquor trading.  The Kennedys are not nearly as rich as the Rockefellers, though.  They just like to pretend they are.  Old Joe wants to push his sons onto the country alright, every last one of them, as President, John, Robert, and Edward.  Then there's that hillbilly Texan, Lyndon, hoping to ride his horse into the White House.  His ambitions far outreach his abilities.  There is one decent prospect, Stuart Symington of Missouri, but he has no chance."

"Given this field, I intend to make a run.  I've got so much dirt on everyone of them, except for Symington, I think I can twist a few arms, drop a few subtle hints here and there to the right people, in the right places, when it comes right down to it, I think I'll have a good shot at it."

The discussion goes around the room.

"You may have a shot, Edgar, but that's a dangerous game, one that could backfire and come back to haunt you."

"True, but do anyone of them want to be brought down in order to bring Edgar down?"

"That's the $64,000.00 question.  How badly do anyone of them want to be President?"

"Are you kidding?  Anyone of them, except for Symington, would cut any deal imaginable with anyone you could think of in order to be elected President.  Heck, Nixon'd whitewash his own grandmother and rent her out to haunt houses if he thought it would get him a vote.  And that Checkers thing and that story about the plain Republican cloth coat crap is enough to make you sick.  Ike should have dumped him when he had the chance."

"What do you think, Clyde?" asks Hoover.  "Well, Edgar, I'd say if you truly believe that you can do more good for this country than Dick, Rocky, JFK, LBJ, or Symington, I say, go for it."
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2006, 12:28:12 PM »
« Edited: August 04, 2006, 12:59:37 PM by Winfield »

The discussion continues at the Hoover residence.

"You know," says Tolson, "there is one major Democratic player we haven't discussed yet, the hard working and dedicated Senator from Minnesota, Hubert Humphrey.  The man has ability and integrity, and a genuine love for this country.  He is motivated, I believe, out of a desire to serve this nation, and to do what he believes will be in the best interests of this nation.  Humphrey is a rising star in the Democratic Party, one of the best orators, and certainly one of the most knowledgeable and talented Senators this nation has.  Frankly, Edgar, HHH would make a great President."

"Let's take a realistic look at the political landscape," continues Tolson.  "The Republicans have been in the White House for the past eight years.  Sure, Ike has been a popular and respected President, but my gut feeling is that America will opt for change, and will likely elect a Democrat to the Presidency in 1960.  In my view, if a Democrat is elected President, then that Democrat should be Humphrey."       

"You know, Clyde" says Hoover, "you may be on to something.  There is one bright spot in that sorry list of candidates after all."

Tolson again.  "I know you believe you would like to be President, Edgar, and you really do not want to see Nixon, Rockefeller, Kennedy, or Johnson in that office.  I also said if you believe you can do more good for this country than any of them, then run yourself.  If you honestly believe you can run and make a difference, then go for it.  But, realistically, Edgar, how far would you get?"

"What do you really love more than anything else in this world?" continues Tolson.  "I'll tell you, much more than being President, you love being Director of the FBI."

"Well," says Hoover, "I can't deny that."

Tolson continues, "Now, all we have to do, is do everything in our power to help make HHH the next President of the United States."

"Sounds good to me," says Hoover.  "Let's go for it."

Humphrey and Kennedy were already actively pursuing the Democratic nomination.  Senate Majority Leader Johnson was interested, however, was tied down in legislative affairs in Washington for much of the election pre-season.

Prior to the crucial primaries in New Hampshire, Wisconsin, and West Virginia, unflattering and potentially damaging details about Kennedy's private life began to surface in national newspapers, and in the press of these three primary states, among others.

Kennedy plodded on for the next few months, denying the accusations, but the damage was taking its' toll on his campaign.  Kennedy was expected to win a big victory in the New Hampshire primary in his native New England.  Instead, shockingly, he finished just 2% ahead of Humphrey.  With a near win in New Hampshire, which he was expected to lose by a wide margin, the Humphrey campaign took on the perception that it had the momentum heading into Wisconsin. 

Humphrey refused to comment on the details coming out about Kennedy, except, wisely, to say he denounced "the politics of accusation and inuendo," and continued to gain momentum in his campaign.  Humphrey scored an impressive win in Wisconsin and an even bigger win in West Virginia.  The bad press about Kennedy had taken its' toll, and Kennedy dropped out after losing a fifth straight primary to Humphrey.  Johnson left his Presidential campaign until too late, and seeing the momentum Humphrey was gaining, announced his support for Humphrey. 

Humphrey wrapped up the nomination, for all intents and purposes, in May.  Humphrey chose respected Missouri Senator Stuart Symington for Vice President.

On the Republican side, as the incumbent Vice President, Richard Nixon had the upper hand going into the primary season, and defeated New York Governor Nelson Rockefeller for the nomination.  Nixon chose former Massachusetts Senator and U.N. Ambassador Henry Cabot Lodge for Vice President.

During the campaign, mysterious details started emerging dwelling on the potential sinister side of the Vice President, and rehashing scandals from the 1950s.

In the campaign, Humphrey was steadfast in his support for equal voting rights, whereas Nixon wavered, alienating whites in the north and blacks in the south.

On election day, 1960, Hubert Humphrey emerged as the clear winner, realizing his life long ambition of becoming President of the United States.

Humphrey/Symington          368
Nixon/Lodge                        150
Unpledged Electors               19                                     

This has to rank as J. Edgar Hoover's greatest coup ever.

12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2006, 12:36:34 PM »

But I wanted to see the first gay President and his lover Clyde in the White House
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2006, 01:23:57 PM »

In fact, I was considering a story in which Hoover threatens to release major details of scandal, corruption, and indiscretions, on all the major contenders, Nixon, Rockefeller, Kennedy, Johnson, Humphrey, forcing them all to withdraw from the race.

After a brilliant PR campaign, Hoover then steps in to fill the void, wins the Democratic nomination, chooses Symington for Vice President, and wins the election against a  relatively unknown Republican ticket of Senator Norris Cotton of New Hampshire and Senator Milton Young of North Dakota.

Most of the gay speculation about Hoover, I believe, has never been fully substantiated, although some of the evidence appears to be credible.   

Besides, are you absolutely certain that  J. Edgar would have been the first Gay President?  Smiley

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies