Nixion/Rockefeller 1960
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 01:39:08 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  Past Election What-ifs (US) (Moderator: Dereich)
  Nixion/Rockefeller 1960
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Nixion/Rockefeller 1960  (Read 1447 times)
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 11, 2006, 06:15:28 PM »

How would a Nixion Rockefeller ticket do aganst Kennady/Johnson in 1960?
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2006, 11:15:18 AM »

The presence of Nelson Rockefeller as the Vice Presidential candidate on the Republican ticket pulls in Rockefeller's home state of New York, of which he was Governor at the time, and very well liked in the state, and pulls in the neighboring state of New Jersey, where the Rockefeller name is well known.  In 1960, Nixon lost New Jersey by only 0.80%, and with Rockefeller on the ticket, this is enough to tip the state to Nixon.

Nixon wins the Presidency in 1960 instead of in 1968.

Nixon/Rockefeller            281
Kennedy/Johnson           237
Unpledged Electors          19

Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2006, 03:39:49 PM »

Here is my prediction call it over rated if you wish but it could have happened.

johnpressman
Rookie
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2006, 03:53:21 PM »

While I do believe that Nixon/Rockefeller would have beaten Kennedy/Johnson in 1960, I do not believe that New York would have voted Republican.   While Rocky was well-liked in New York, he was only Governor for less than two years and was running for Vice President, not President.  His influence would not be strong enough to overcome the overly Democratic vote from New York City.

However, having a strong, charismatic running mate like Rocky instead of a weak, do-nothing like Lodge would have tipped the vote in close states like New Jersey, Michigan and Illinois, and possibly even Missouri and Texas.  I cannot see any states that voted for Nixon/Lodge that would have gone Democratic had the GOP nominated Rocky for VP.  Both Lodge and Rocky were wealthy heirs of famous families, from Northeastern states that would not have voted GOP.  Rocky's free spending liberal ways were not well known at that time.  He was a hard-liner as to the Cold War like Lodge and a MUCH, MUCH MUCH better campainger!
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies