bizarre George Allen "macaca" incident
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 05:25:19 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  bizarre George Allen "macaca" incident
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: bizarre George Allen "macaca" incident  (Read 8431 times)
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: August 16, 2006, 03:55:37 PM »

I'm embarassed I ever voted for this dimwit in the first place.  Tongue

Why did you?

Six years ago I was a Republican, and a moderately conservative one at that. 
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #51 on: August 16, 2006, 04:17:48 PM »

Not a big deal. A stupid comment based on the idea that he felt shadowed and that he apologized for. Time to move on. Unless one wants to grasp at straws, of course, because their candidate is losing. And a person can do that, fine, that's politics. But to say something like this makes him "not qualified" is the bitterest partisanship of bitter partisanship. Come on. And if that's the case, okay, whatever you are doing, whoever you are, as soon as an insensitive thought or comment or something flashes through your head, you're not qualified to be doing whatever you're doing because chances are you are interacting with people on a daily basis. Because that's how I read the partisans' reaction to this - it's not the comment itself as much as the principle that allegedly behind it.

It's not that this means he's a terrible Senator.  However, this is the kind of behaviour that sends up a red flag for me.  Someone in a position of power can't have a disposition like this.  What he was doing, plain and simple, was singling out the person in the room who disagreed with the majority and making fun of him like a schoolyard bully.  A less than competent one, but still.

He's harmless, but he knows that he had the crowd behind him.  It's not a quality I find particularly attractive in a human being.
Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -9.39

« Reply #52 on: August 17, 2006, 08:16:10 PM »

Someone over at Kos is reporting that tomorrow's Ras poll will have Webb within five points, and Allen below 50 percent.

If this is true, it's huge. This race may have become truly competitive for the first time.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #53 on: August 18, 2006, 12:37:56 AM »

Someone over at Kos is reporting that tomorrow's Ras poll will have Webb within five points, and Allen below 50 percent.

If this is true, it's huge. This race may have become truly competitive for the first time.

Yeah, Kos is definately an accurate source. lol
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #54 on: August 18, 2006, 02:04:23 AM »

Not a big deal. A stupid comment based on the idea that he felt shadowed and that he apologized for. Time to move on. Unless one wants to grasp at straws, of course, because their candidate is losing. And a person can do that, fine, that's politics. But to say something like this makes him "not qualified" is the bitterest partisanship of bitter partisanship. Come on. And if that's the case, okay, whatever you are doing, whoever you are, as soon as an insensitive thought or comment or something flashes through your head, you're not qualified to be doing whatever you're doing because chances are you are interacting with people on a daily basis. Because that's how I read the partisans' reaction to this - it's not the comment itself as much as the principle that allegedly behind it.

It's not that this means he's a terrible Senator.  However, this is the kind of behaviour that sends up a red flag for me.  Someone in a position of power can't have a disposition like this.  What he was doing, plain and simple, was singling out the person in the room who disagreed with the majority and making fun of him like a schoolyard bully.  A less than competent one, but still.

He's harmless, but he knows that he had the crowd behind him.  It's not a quality I find particularly attractive in a human being.

Well, this is hardly novel, Alcon.  It is certainly in the nature of most elected leaders, and of democracy itself.  And it is the typical behavior of racists throughout american politics - even if they do not single out a particular present individual, they appeal to the prejudices and hatreds of the majority by attacking the scapegoated minority.
Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #55 on: August 18, 2006, 03:45:08 AM »

Actually, it is. Certain members have campaign sources (this particular heads-up was from a Webb staffer), and Kos accurately reported a number of Connecticut polls before they were released to the public.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #56 on: August 18, 2006, 12:37:34 PM »

Actually, it is. Certain members have campaign sources (this particular heads-up was from a Webb staffer), and Kos accurately reported a number of Connecticut polls before they were released to the public.

It's no more of an accurate source than the Atlas is when it comes to "insider" information.  Sorry.
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #57 on: August 18, 2006, 02:41:03 PM »

It's no more of an accurate source than the Atlas is when it comes to "insider" information.  Sorry.

It's accurate. Rasmussen just released the poll. Allen leads 47-42.

As someone who is of Indian Descent, I say that Allen is an idiot and that the Democrats should start funding Webb. This could be our sixth seat.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #58 on: August 18, 2006, 03:13:08 PM »

Indeed.  Here's the link:

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/2006/State%20Polls/August%202006/virginiaSenate.htm

I'm watching Tradesports to see what happens to the odds on Allen in both the Senate and Presidential race.  The initial "macaca" fallout caused him to drop from 16.0 to 12.0 in the presidential race, but he then rebounded to 13.5.  So far today, he's dropped to 13.0, but that could just be a blip.  I wonder if there's going to be an Allen sell-off, following this poll.
Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #59 on: August 18, 2006, 03:35:27 PM »

As Boris noted, it was just released and it was the same margin reported on Kos. Thanks for playing.
Deano963

« Reply #60 on: August 18, 2006, 04:29:45 PM »

Um, sorry, but yes it is. As Rob has already pointed out, Kos regularly (I can't even count how many times I've seen this happen) posts the results of new polls before they are even up on the pollsters' own websites. Many staffers will tip the site off to their own internal polls before they are released and the major nonpartisan polls also do the same. It's a fact.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #61 on: August 18, 2006, 04:36:27 PM »

I would never trust the DailyKommunist for any accurate information.
Deano963

« Reply #62 on: August 18, 2006, 07:04:19 PM »

I'm sure people in such deep denial are not their target audience.
M

« Reply #63 on: August 19, 2006, 01:04:39 PM »

I hope he crashes and burns. Granted the Repiblicans need a moderate in '08; but if it has to be a conservative let's keep that idiotic dirtbag Allen far, far away from any realistic shot at it.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #64 on: August 19, 2006, 01:15:05 PM »
« Edited: August 19, 2006, 01:16:39 PM by Maverick »

I hope he crashes and burns. Granted the Repiblicans need a moderate in '08; but if it has to be a conservative let's keep that idiotic dirtbag Allen far, far away from any realistic shot at it.

Charles Krauthammer (sp?) had said on yesterday's 'Inside Washington' that this incident, while not necessarilly imperilling the likelihood of his winning re-election as Virginia's senator, has torpedoed his chances at becoming the next GOP presidential nominee for the 2008 elections.  Would you -as a Republican- agree with him that Allen now pretty much has no chance in 2008? 

Other Republicans on this forum are free to answer this question as well...
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #65 on: August 19, 2006, 06:03:16 PM »

What's wrong with Allen?
MHS2002

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 1.57

« Reply #66 on: August 19, 2006, 08:31:25 PM »

From a personal standpoint I was high on Allen as the GOP nominee in 2008, however he just has not impressed me these past few months. It definitely seems like he is lacking a little bit in the intelligence department. Anyway, I wouldn't say this incident alone "torpedoes" his chances of becoming the nominee, but his stock is definitely on the down slope.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #67 on: August 19, 2006, 08:41:32 PM »

Anyway, I wouldn't say this incident alone "torpedoes" his chances of becoming the nominee, but his stock is definitely on the down slope.

Agreed.  People always tend to inflate the long term importance of the latest controversy.  Yes, the "macaca" tape could be damaging, but so could the tape of Bush not knowing the names of world leaders.  He managed to overcome that.  What could save Allen is the fact that "macaca" isn't exactly a well known racial slur.  Even though the fact that Allen speaks French seems to be a strong indication that he knew what he was doing, that's not necessarily going to be clear to the average voter.  If he had used the n word, it would be a different story.

You also have to ask how many '08 primary voters are even going to see this video?  In what forum would they be watching it?  I don't know that any of his '08 GOP rivals would go so far as to include it in a negative campaign ad.  And the media usually doesn't spend too much time on stuff like this unless the candidates themselves are talking about it.
Virginian87
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: -3.55, S: 2.70

« Reply #68 on: August 20, 2006, 12:23:18 AM »

Well, if the latest Rasmussen poll is any indication, then this incident is great news for the Webb campaign.  After Labor Day, expect to see the race get much closer as Webb barnstorms the state.  He'll be in Norfolk later this month, and then the Eastern Shore before hitting a few stops in Richmond and Fredericksburg in September.  Hopefully the DSCC will realize the error of their ways and start pumping money into this race.  More than any other state, Virginia has the chance to become the Democrats' sixth Senate pickup.
Saxwsylvania
Van Der Blub

« Reply #69 on: November 09, 2006, 08:38:32 PM »

As someone who is of Indian Descent, I say that Allen is an idiot and that the Democrats should start funding Webb. This could be our sixth seat.

Ahh, &#%*#%**#!!!!!
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies