bizarre George Allen "macaca" incident (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 02:18:48 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  bizarre George Allen "macaca" incident (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: bizarre George Allen "macaca" incident  (Read 8493 times)
nlm
« on: August 16, 2006, 06:46:58 AM »

What does the term "macaca" actually mean? A shady definition like "a french ethnic slur" isn't good enough for me.

It's a Belgian/French ethnic slur for people of dark-skinned North African descent.  Allen probably heard the word from his mother, who is an immigrant from French colonial Tunisia (she is of French descent).  What's funny is that Sidarth (I've actually met this guy) isn't even North African at all, but Indian instead.

Ok, but I still don't know what it means. It seems to be as fairly harmless as  the term "cracker".

I believe it literally means Monkey - you know, like Howard Cosell's "look at that monkey run". But it can be used similar to the word "niger" in french.

It was a dumb thing to say. A friend of mine inside the Allen campaign said George really didn't know what the words meaning was, he just picked it up from some of his staff that did, that used it to refer to the young man. Using slang terms one doesn't understand in public really isn't that bright, most notably for somebody in politics. The whole "welcome to America" thing was all George though, and that has it's own context and insinuations, and when added to the slur makes George seem fairly racist on the surface.
nlm
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2006, 01:12:16 PM »

What does the term "macaca" actually mean? A shady definition like "a french ethnic slur" isn't good enough for me.

It's a Belgian/French ethnic slur for people of dark-skinned North African descent.  Allen probably heard the word from his mother, who is an immigrant from French colonial Tunisia (she is of French descent).  What's funny is that Sidarth (I've actually met this guy) isn't even North African at all, but Indian instead.

Ok, but I still don't know what it means. It seems to be as fairly harmless as  the term "cracker".

I believe it literally means Monkey - you know, like Howard Cosell's "look at that monkey run". But it can be used similar to the word "niger" in french.

Thank you for giving me the definition. Smiley Probably a dumb thing to say in public when you really don't understand the word, but IMHO people are way to hypersensitive these days anyhow.

While I think the whole PC thing has gone way too far. I also think that if I were standing in a crowd of black people, listening to a black Senator, and was singled out and called a term that was slang for white trash or something to that effect that I would be less than pleased. I imagine you would be less than pleased as well if you were in that situation. So, from that perspective I think Allen deserves some bad PR and a rough couple of news cycles.

Like I said it was a dumb thing for him to do. And Allen's follow up about mowhawks and the like have been pretty lame and make him look fairly dishonest.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies