Sabinal, California
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 12:11:15 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 15 Down, 35 To Go)
  Sabinal, California
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Sabinal, California  (Read 4745 times)
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 18, 2006, 07:52:48 AM »

Just plain old geography, not political geography, but this seemed the best place since it wouldn't be buried.

It's one of the settings of On the Road, and it's the one place in the book that I can't find on maps for the life of me. An internet search doesn't really bring anything up either. (Though there's towns of the name in Texas, New Mexico, and Nuevo León).

So, yeah. Did Kerouac just make that place up? And why should he, when all the other places are real (though perhaps fictionalized. Real-named, anyhow.)?
Or if not, what fate befell it? Maybe Rocket or jfern knows something - you guys are from the San Joaquin Valley after all? It's vaguely localized somewhere between Bakersfield and Madera, although it's not clear, I think, on which side of Fresno it's supposed to be.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2006, 12:55:14 PM »

Nevermind, I've just found out, by just googling "Sabinal Kerouac" and leaving out the "California". Yeah, it's a deliberate misnamer - not even the only one in the book after all. The real place behind it is Selma, in Fresno County.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies