Why do people (suburb lovers) hate tall buildings?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 08:37:49 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Why do people (suburb lovers) hate tall buildings?  (Read 7070 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2008, 10:20:12 PM »

I kinda live in the suburbs, and I don't really care about tall buildings. I worked in a tall building.

Why do you STILL talk about suburbs? Is it fun for you, like how I say Pawlenty will help McCain carry MN? Because if so, it stopped being funny a long time ago.

LOL, and saying Pawlenty will help McCain carry Minnesota is SO F**KING HILARIOUS.
Padfoot
padfoot714
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: -6.96

« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2008, 05:13:57 AM »

I'm going to have to agree with what MODU said.  Tall buildings bring more people which brings more traffic and more noise.  Most people in the suburbs are looking for a quiet place with a garden and some trees.  Its not so much that they dislike the buildings but rather they dislike what comes with them.  Many people also find the phrase "good fences, make good neighbors" hard to apply when the fence becomes your ceiling.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2008, 05:31:24 AM »

For BRTD:

Anyone wants to guess which city it is ?
Bay Ridge, Bklyn! Born and Bred
MikeyCNY

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: -4.87

« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2008, 11:01:01 AM »
« Edited: March 15, 2008, 11:04:01 AM by Client-9 »

Here is the closest thing you'll ever find to a skyline in Washington DC.     The first pic is technically Virgina, but its still DC for all intents and purposes.   To anyone who has never been to DC, this city is actually quite large.  It ain't just the White House and Capitol Building, you know.

Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2008, 12:23:22 PM »

It is impressive, if intimidating..

Minneapolis has one of the most balanced, modern skylines in the country, and ranks far higher than other cities of its size (ranked as 25th best sky line in the world, 8th in the U.S.)

I do admit, however, that low-to-mid rise buildings (4-15 stories) make for a more pleasant urban experience.  Sky scrapers are great for a downtown office core where business people go to work and big events take place.

The best places to eat and the best culture is found outside of the center business district.. like Block E or the Warehouse District.

As long as fuel remains relatively cheap and land is plentiful, American cities will follow the general model of dense, sky scraper filled cored, surrounded by a vast sea of low rise buildings.

But there is a transit revolution in the U.S. and many cities are expanding their transit options and development is exploding around these lines.

I remember when the IDS tower (tall one on the left) was going up. It was not a balanced skyline at all back then, since IDS dwarfed the Foshay tower which was the tallest at the time. The IDS had the nickname "the big blue icicle" for its imposing figure.

It was also referred to as the 'middle finger' sticking up several hundred feet higher than the next tallest building.  But it was the first building of its kind and started a "glass revolution" that dominated new skyscrapers over the next 30 years.

I found another really beautiful picture of Minneapolis.. how it really does look like a massive forest with some skyscrapers sticking out of the middle.

Storebought
YaBB God
« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2008, 12:34:17 PM »

As far as skylines go, Houston has one equal to Chicago, for no real reason other than having a gigantic skyline.

But I wouldn't want to live in any high-rise building. Compartmentalized residencies degrade their tenants' standard of living.*

*Yes, I am aware of Donald Trump and all of his billionaire neighbors living in apartments overlooking Central Park. But I'd rather have the 'reality' of resting in open space in the country than the 'appearance' of one through a corner window overlooking a public property. This only mentions dwellings and not workplaces, where a corner office overlooking a posh park is of course desirable.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2008, 02:11:21 PM »

Because if God had meant us to live 100 feet or more above the ground, he would have given us longer legs.

Anything over 9 stories is fairly ridiculous for most places.  You either need on-property parking or heavy use of non-car transit to make use of them.  What makes most tall buildings economically viable is the vanity of the people and businesses who occupy the higher floors.  I lived in a tall building when I was a graduate student.  It was right next to campus, so I usually walked and parked my vehicle in student parking some blocks away to save on the cost of a parking space next to the building.  I also chose one of the cheaper lower floor apartments.  Indeed, I rarely bothered with the elevator since it was usually faster to use the stairs.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2008, 03:42:38 PM »

Skyline image of where I work:

Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies