Nader or any others in debates?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 07:03:04 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election Campaign
  Nader or any others in debates?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Nader or any others in debates?  (Read 1370 times)
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 14, 2004, 05:29:28 PM »

Does anybody think they should allow Ralph Nader in the presidential debates?  I think they should.  I mean the debates should be allowed to every presidential candidate even if there chances to win would be slim to none.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2004, 05:31:29 PM »

I don't until there is a system where one of them can win.  Perot was allowed because he was polling above 15% and that's enough.

The debates are to help voters decide who to vote for, not to listen to people talk.  I'm more than willing to stop Bradnarik and Nader from entering in order to listen to the serious candidates for three times as much.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2004, 07:35:02 PM »

I've mentioned this on another thread:

To become a serious presidential candidate, I would say they need to be on the ballot in at least 40 states.  Any candidate who is able to get onto that many ballots should be allocated the same respect and privellages as the Democrats and Republicans, including access to the debates.
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2004, 12:57:27 AM »

I think that in the first debate, every candidate who is on enough ballots to win should be included in the debate.  

After that first debate, you should need 15% (or mayber 10%) popular vote support to be in the other ones.
ATFFL
Junior Chimp
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2004, 12:37:22 PM »

I think that in the first debate, every candidate who is on enough ballots to win should be included in the debate.  

After that first debate, you should need 15% (or mayber 10%) popular vote support to be in the other ones.

But then how do we decide 10%?  Which poll do we use?
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2004, 01:05:47 PM »

That's why I recommend basing it off of how many state ballots they are on.  In order to be a serious contender, you have to have access to at least 40 states.  That would weed out all these one-state candidates.  I'd have to search for the link, but there are over 50 Presidential Candidates so far this year, on numerous parties or as independents.  Imagine the chaos of running a debate with that many people, and then trying to weed out the top 10%.
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2004, 01:11:03 PM »

But then how do we decide 10%?  Which poll do we use?

In 2000, I think the debate commission already decided to use an average of five different polls...or maybe you just had to hit 15% on one of the five, but they used more than one poll.

You can't have six candidates in every debate...look at the Democratic primary debates.  Including Sharpton and Kucinich early on was fine, but at some point they were just distracting and eating time.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2004, 02:26:47 PM »

No!  Look at the later Dem Primary debates.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies