The Bush-Is-an-Idiot Camp Grows
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:53:32 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  The Bush-Is-an-Idiot Camp Grows
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Bush-Is-an-Idiot Camp Grows  (Read 2582 times)
freedomburns
FreedomBurns

Political Matrix
E: -7.23, S: -8.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 30, 2006, 10:17:55 PM »

There is a sweet breeze in the wind.  The winds of change are blowing.  The sheeple are waking up, and the long national nightmare may be coming to an end, and sooner than you might think.  We may be due for an impeachemnt soon.  It has been ten years since the Rethuglicans tried to villify our President for getting his willy wet.  How much more serious are the crimes of this Pretzledent?  Answer: much!  Oh...and he's an idiot, as well.  Anyone who doesn't see this by now is probaly an idiot themselves.

http://www.tompaine.com/articles/2006/08/30/the_bushisanidiot_camp_grows.php

The Bush-Is-An-Idiot Camp Grows
David Corn
August 30, 2006

The other day I crossed paths with a conservative talk show host. We chatted about current events. He noted that he was quite pissed off at the neocons for suggesting that American blood should be spilled to benefit the Iraqis. Let the Iraqis take care of themselves, he huffed. I asked, “Are you in the Bush-is-an-idiot camp?”

This was a reference to a recent segment on Joe Scarborough’s MSNBC show during which Scarborough, a former Republican congressman from Florida, posed the question, “Is our president an idiot?”  After playing a montage of video clips showing Bush at his tongue-tied worst (“Fool me once, shame on you—fool me—you can’t get fooled again”), Scarborough said that an former close aide to President Bush had recently told him that Bush is “intellectually shallow and one of the most incurious public figures this man has ever met.” Scarborough claimed that Bush is “getting worse instead of better” and that when it comes to presidential stupidity Bush is “in a league by himself.” He added, “I don’t think he has the intellectual depth.”

My conservative interlocutor fidgeted, as he considered how to respond. After a moment or so, he said softly, “Well, he can be moronic.”

I have long thought it was not politically wise for Democrats to deride Bush as dumb. And I believed it was wrong to assume—as did many Bush-bashers—that W. was not intelligent. After all, he managed to become president—which is not an easy task (even if Karl Rove is your master strategist). He also managed, against the odds, to change the tax code to benefit folks like him. How stupid is that? But watching Bush grapple with the mess in Iraq—a problem entirely of his own making—it’s hard to sidestep the conclusion that his own, let’s say, information-processing abilities are profoundly affecting national security, and not for the better.

<...>

Yes, the world sees all Americans as idiots for electing this brainchild to represent us.  I am deeply embarrassed for my country.  I think that this is part of the reason that many Americans lie and introduce themselves as Canadian when they are abroad.  They are embarrassed of their citizenship, and with good reason, imho.

fb

J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2006, 10:31:12 PM »

I'm not planning to vote for a president (or, US Rep., US Senator, Governor, State rep., State Senator, Mayor, or City Council member, for that matter) on the basis of the fact that they defeat me in a game of Trivial Pursuit.
Citizen James
James42

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -2.78

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2006, 12:59:30 AM »

I'm not planning to vote for a president (or, US Rep., US Senator, Governor, State rep., State Senator, Mayor, or City Council member, for that matter) on the basis of the fact that they defeat me in a game of Trivial Pursuit.

So much for the Ken Jennings for president campaign.  Tongue
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2006, 01:07:03 AM »

His lack of curiosity is a larger problem than his raw intellect.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2006, 07:45:23 AM »

Exactly - the issue with Bush isn't that he's dense (which he is - frankly Intelligence is a big thing for me... and to go from a Rhodes Scholar to Bush is frankly quite sad) - the issue is as John Ford correctly said if he doesn't know about something he doesn't seem interested in learning about it.

Even if you don't have the most robust intellect - a healthy curiosity should be able to get you through. Bush doesn't even have that.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2006, 08:16:40 AM »

HAHAHA
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2006, 09:00:17 AM »

There is a sweet breeze in the wind.  The winds of change are blowing.  The sheeple are waking up, and the long national nightmare may be coming to an end, and sooner than you might think.  We may be due for an impeachemnt soon.  It has been ten years since the Rethuglicans tried to villify our President for getting his willy wet.  How much more serious are the crimes of this Pretzledent?  Answer: much!  Oh...and he's an idiot, as well.  Anyone who doesn't see this by now is probaly an idiot themselves.

Yes, the world sees all Americans as idiots for electing this brainchild to represent us.  I am deeply embarrassed for my country.  I think that this is part of the reason that many Americans lie and introduce themselves as Canadian when they are abroad.  They are embarrassed of their citizenship, and with good reason, imho.

fb

Emo.

Emo's to blame for this.

You hear this terrible whinning on emo songs. And the awful wordchanges for "comedic" effect.

DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2006, 09:03:17 AM »

Exactly - the issue with Bush isn't that he's dense (which he is - frankly Intelligence is a big thing for me... and to go from a Rhodes Scholar to Bush is frankly quite sad) - the issue is as John Ford correctly said if he doesn't know about something he doesn't seem interested in learning about it.

Even if you don't have the most robust intellect - a healthy curiosity should be able to get you through. Bush doesn't even have that.

Ummm, Bush had a HIGHER average at Yale than Kerry, but a disgraceful like 76 to 74, but Bush's was two points higher.  It's his accent that makes northerner elistist liberals think he is stupid, he actually is quite smart.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2006, 09:05:05 AM »

Anyway...my serious point. Go ahead with the impeachment. I personally think Bush is a huge twat. But you're gonna really look bad for doing so. And make Bush look like the picked on underdog (like what happened to Clinton) 535 vs. 1 (the partisan breakdown doesn't matter). Good thinking there chief.

Why don't you put your limited grey matter together and go win congress...and later...the white house.

Wait, you guys aren't competent enough to do that either.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2006, 09:06:10 AM »

Obviously you missed you was impeached for PERJURY, this whole thread has lost credibility because there is nothing worse than misrepresenting facts!
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2006, 09:10:39 AM »

Ummm, Bush had a HIGHER average at Yale than Kerry, but a disgraceful like 76 to 74, but Bush's was two points higher.  It's his accent that makes northerner elistist liberals think he is stupid, he actually is quite smart.

Did I say he was academically smarter than Kerry? Clinton trounces both of them. It's not his accent that makes people think he's stupid... it was what he does which shows people he's stupid.

Please show me besides his apparently stellar knowledge of baseball statistics (things he REALLY cares about) any evidence that Bush is smart.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2006, 09:36:17 AM »

Please show me besides his apparently stellar knowledge of baseball statistics (things he REALLY cares about) any evidence that Bush is smart.

Lets see...he's leader of the free world..and you're what? Some random poster on some non-descript political board.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2006, 09:54:48 AM »

Lets see...he's leader of the free world..and you're what? Some random poster on some non-descript political board.

And John Kerry must be at least 90% as smart, then?
ATFFL
Junior Chimp
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2006, 09:57:17 AM »

I'll one up that.  He managed to achieve nearly his entire legislative agenda in his first term.  His success was to the point that he had little to campaign on for his second term.  He managed to go an entire term without the use of a single veto by using the threat of a veto judicously and some pragmatic compromise keeping his party on his side at a time when there were divisions forming in the party.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2006, 09:59:54 AM »

I'll one up that.  He managed to achieve nearly his entire legislative agenda in his first term.  His success was to the point that he had little to campaign on for his second term.  He managed to go an entire term without the use of a single veto by using the threat of a veto judicously and some pragmatic compromise keeping his party on his side at a time when there were divisions forming in the party.

The smartest thing he does is make people think he's stupid and then suprise then.  Nothing beats someone who can play dumb and then burn you when you least expect it.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2006, 10:03:25 AM »

Bush has proven that lack of intelligence is not a hinderance to getting elected - in fact he's shown that by using ridiculous generalizations and perpetuating this down-home hokum bulls**t that somehow makes him a regular guy. Which of course is nonsense.

Firstly StatesRights - you have absolutely no idea who I am - plus as I expected you were unable to give me one scrap of evidence that shows him to be smart - so you retorted with adolescent childish insults... good for you. At least Tredrick gave some suggestions all though Bush was being tied up until 9/11 and knee-jerk patriotism somehow gave the Congress cold feet about exercising their most basic and important fucntion.

But I will agree with you on one point. The Debates in 2000 were when Gore let the election slip through his fingers. Bush's camp had lowered the expectations of him SO MUCH that for Bush to be considered the winner - all he had to do was turn up and not screw up - plus Gore didn't help himself. So - he wins by the politics of low-expectations.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2006, 10:04:45 AM »

Granted, I don't know all that much about how the White House works, but I'd think that giving Bush full credit for all of that is a little unreasonable, no?
ATFFL
Junior Chimp
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2006, 10:13:12 AM »

Granted, I don't know all that much about how the White House works, but I'd think that giving Bush full credit for all of that is a little unreasonable, no?

Bush chooses his staff.  While a good portion of his legislatve success goes to Cheney and a couple of other people, Bush put the right people in the right places and was very active with Congress in his first term.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2006, 10:27:51 AM »

Firstly StatesRights - you have absolutely no idea who I am - plus as I expected you were unable to give me one scrap of evidence that shows him to be smart - so you retorted with adolescent childish insults...

That was an insult??? lol Roll Eyes
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2006, 10:33:24 AM »

Firstly StatesRights - you have absolutely no idea who I am - plus as I expected you were unable to give me one scrap of evidence that shows him to be smart - so you retorted with adolescent childish insults...

That was an insult??? lol Roll Eyes

I'm sure you're capable of much more cutting remarks - but I was curious what you could offer of proof of his intelligence and you offered a popularity contest - a big one - but not one that relies on intelligence.

The White House varies by Administration - under Clinton and Bush I the President was very much tied in with the appointments and acted often on his experience and knowledge. Under Reagan and Bush II the White House is decentralised. With the President largely as a rubber stamp and spokesperson - for the work of people like Cheney, Rumsfeld, Rice, Rove (until a little while ago).
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2006, 10:37:52 AM »

Look at his grades at yale. That is enough evidence of his intelligence. How many forum members here do YOU think could get into Yale? Anyways, you want to blast me for my truthful comments earlier...and call me childish..and throw names at me...but look at the stinkin title of the thread...and that's from YOUR own side.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2006, 10:45:06 AM »

Look at his grades at yale. That is enough evidence of his intelligence. How many forum members here do YOU think could get into Yale?

Well, I grant you that - but it's called legacy admission. How many people without the connections that EITHER Bush or Kerry had would have gotten into Yale with a High School C+?

I know - I was considering going to college in the US and took the SATs and had my Australian high school grades translated.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2006, 03:25:30 PM »

Who said he could beat me?
Virginian87
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: -3.55, S: 2.70

« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2006, 05:04:30 PM »

Look at his grades at yale. That is enough evidence of his intelligence. How many forum members here do YOU think could get into Yale?

Well, maybe if my father, grandfather, and great-grandfather had gone there, I would have gotten in too with C's in high school.  I don't see how you think that just because Bush attended Phillips Exeter and Yale (both of which are thanks to a wealthy family and legacy connections) that he's naturally smart. 

In real life, I got rejected from Yale and I had over a 4.0 high school GPA.  Good thing Columbia didn't feel the same way. Smiley
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2006, 05:30:29 PM »

If you were rich wouldn't you want to send your children to the best schools and keep them out of military service? Obviously the answer is yes.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies