High voter turnout?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 05:26:37 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  High voter turnout?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: High voter turnout?  (Read 2839 times)
millwx

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 17, 2004, 09:02:00 AM »

Just curious about some UNBIASED opinions on how a potentially high voter turnout could impact the election results this year.  I'm of two minds myself...

1) Reps tend to be more motivated and turn out more, therefore, high voter turnout could be a reflection of a charged up Rep Party... meaning the Reps do better.

2) By the same token, since Reps turn out more normally, that leaves a greater number of untapped Dems... so, high voter turnout could mean more Dems show up, meaning they do better.

I raise this issue because some analysts think this election year will see high voter turnout (I'm skeptical, as many voters don't seem enamored with either candidate, but let's go with this assumption...), and it seems to me that these "extra" voters may well get missed by most "Likely Voter" screens.  This could yield a systematic bias in all LV polls.  But... in what direction?Huh??
mddem2004

Political Matrix
E: -6.38, S: -4.00

« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2004, 11:02:43 AM »

The data that I have always seen is that a higher voter turnout usually helps the Democrats because there are a lot more "soft" Democrats than there are "soft" Republicans. The higher the turnout the more you go beyond the hard bases and the more likely you will capture more of these "soft" Dems.

I agree that neither candidate is generally all that captivating to that vast center. But the same can't be said of the bases I don't think. Both parties bases are solidly behind their candidate and by about the same margins.

I think this will be a "Battle of the Bases" so to speak more so than ever. Depressed voter turnout (judging from the intensity of negativism on both sides) is a real possibility for those voters that don't strongly identify with either party.

With that said.....
The two groups that I'm gonna watch real close are:

1) new voters under age 25. Whose winning the registration battle for that age group? With the internet really coming in to its own this election, will that age group, along with a war thats being primarily fought by that age group, bring them out more than their historically low turnouts? And for whom?

2) The Hispanic vote. The numbers that I see says that in a "normal" turnout year (about 52 to 54%) the Republicans MUST get 35% of that vote or statistically they just ain't gonna do it.

One thing in favor of a high turn out is this. Not to sound partisan....and I mean that.....but I think most people will agree that this president has been a controvercial world figure, and controversy always brings a hightened interest.
The Vorlon
Vorlon
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -4.21

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2004, 11:06:29 AM »
« Edited: June 17, 2004, 11:09:13 AM by The Vorlon »

Just curious about some UNBIASED opinions on how a potentially high voter turnout could impact the election results this year.  I'm of two minds myself...

1) Reps tend to be more motivated and turn out more, therefore, high voter turnout could be a reflection of a charged up Rep Party... meaning the Reps do better.

2) By the same token, since Reps turn out more normally, that leaves a greater number of untapped Dems... so, high voter turnout could mean more Dems show up, meaning they do better.

I raise this issue because some analysts think this election year will see high voter turnout (I'm skeptical, as many voters don't seem enamored with either candidate, but let's go with this assumption...), and it seems to me that these "extra" voters may well get missed by most "Likely Voter" screens.  This could yield a systematic bias in all LV polls.  But... in what direction?Huh??

The current Gallup likely voter model suggests a turnout of about 60% - which is up fairly sharply from the 54.7% achieved in 2000 (54.7% is the US Census Bureau estimate, it varies slightly in other sources)

This will NOT cause a systematic skew in the better public opinion polls.

To use the Gallup model for example, they don't simple take a stab what they think turnout will be - they take a long series of questions and assign each voter a "score" based on many things such as past voting behavior but also current they persons current level of interest, level of attention, motivation, strength of support, etc...

These scores are then compared to historic information comparing these scores to actual turnout levels.

The Gallup model is very good.

Democracy Corps (Greenburg, Quinlan, Rosner) The firm James Carville is with also deserves to be singled out as having an especially excellent "likely" voter screen.

Harris, and TIPP are also very good.

On balance, the conventional wisdom is that a bigger turnout helps the Democrats, and I "think" this is likely to be true again this year.

Most likely voter polls have historically found that the GOP does "about" 3-4% better among likely voters than registered voters.

Most of this year there has been very little gap between the two.

One issue I am personally watching very carefully is "voter fatigue"

Normally a big chunk of the electorate only tunes in intermittently to the Presidential race, usually only for a few weeks in late October, Early November. (This is what both parties typically get a huge (10% or so) bump in the polls from their conventions - not that many people actually change their minds, but a lot of new people actually "tune in" if only briefly)

The big question is will voters keep up this level on intensity, or will the "get tired" and just fade away and not vote?

This is a question on which there is no historical polling data.  The electorate has never been this tuned in so early.

One "test" of voter fatigue will be the polls taken "post conventiion" - I suspect that both parties will recieve a far smaller bump than is traditional, but again this is purely a guess - we are in uncharted waters from a polling perspective.

millwx

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2004, 11:44:50 AM »

This will NOT cause a systematic skew in the better public opinion polls.

To use the Gallup model for example, they don't simple take a stab what they think turnout will be - they take a long series of questions and assign each voter a "score" based on many things such as past voting behavior but also current they persons current level of interest, level of attention, motivation, strength of support, etc...
My concern is how much of a weight past voting behavior gets.  It seems to me that the very fact that it is an included factor will create this systematic bias.  The bias may well be largely mitigated by these better polling firms by weighting in other factors as well (level of interest, etc), but nonetheless, it seems like this turnout - due to the past voting screen - remains a wildcard.  Now, maybe, by comparing to past elections and making adjustments in that regard those better polling firms can FURTHER compensate (maybe use a slightly lower "score" to qualify someone as "likely"?)... as you point out.  So...

You've identified some firms whose polling results would be not impacted (or at least less impacted) by this voter turnout complexity.....  Which polling firms do you think have either a worse likely voter screen OR lean too heavily on past voting behavior (so, they could get burned by turnout)?  Thanks!
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2004, 11:51:39 AM »

I strongly believe that history is a good guide on voting behavior.

The last time turnout hit sixty per cent was 1968.

This highest it has been since then was 55.9 per cent in 1992 (largely due to Perot).

In 1996 the turnout was 49 per cent.

I would suggest that with a confidence level of 95 out of 100 that the turnout rate will fall some where between 50 and 55 per cent this year.

What is interesting is that the turnout rate in 2000 was elevated because the Democrats had a very effective "activation" machine in effect that year.

This year the Republicans have what appears to be a very effective "activation" apparatus in gear, with no sight yet of a comprable Democrat effort yet.

My best guesstimate of turnout would be 52.8%.

MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2004, 12:53:09 PM »

I don't think it will change the balance of the votes much, if the increased turnout is across the board.  However, if we go back to the way the media screwed up the election last year by making their predicitions before polls closed, then you will see a sharp variance between East Coast voters and West Coast.  If Bush is being forecasted as taking most of the East Coast, look for a lower Democratic turnout on the West Coast (since Bush is slated to take most of the midwest anyway).  If they come out with the race being close on the East, you'd see both parties show greater voter turn out on the West.  If it looks like Kerry is winning in the East, you'd see a greater Republican turnout, but not with the Democratic voters (since they'd bank on California securing the election).

General observations from the last two decades (many of which from Hawaii and Washington State).
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2004, 12:54:07 PM »

High voter turnout would end up benefiting the winner of the popular vote.
The Vorlon
Vorlon
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2004, 01:21:45 PM »
« Edited: June 17, 2004, 02:01:32 PM by The Vorlon »

You've identified some firms whose polling results would be not impacted (or at least less impacted) by this voter turnout complexity.....  Which polling firms do you think have either a worse likely voter screen OR lean too heavily on past voting behavior (so, they could get burned by turnout)?  Thanks!

Actually, in one of those happy turns of fate, if INDEED voter turnout does get to 60% (I still have my doubts, but we will see) many of the less skilled firms will actually have their results get a bit better, as most voter screens are too loose rather than being too tight...

On thing that will be interesting to watch is how the Robo-Pollsters (Rasmussen and Survey USA) do with likely voter turnout.

Obviously, the Robo pollsters just count up which buttons get pressed on the phone in reply to the questions - there is no "human" factor.

One reason I like the polls that still use humans is that they can "override" the survey's likely voter screen and designate a voter likely based upon their own discretion..

To take an extreme example, somebody who has NEVER voted, but tells the operator "Candidate X is the best thing ever, I am volunterring at his campaign, and going door to door for him, passing out information, and I am so excited, and....and....."

common sense tells us this person should be considered a likely voter..

An operator for Gallup, or Harris, or Democracy Corps, or TIPP, or Mason Dixon would just override this person as being "likely" regardless of the past voting behavior.

That being said, HISTORICALLY past voting behaviior is CLEARLY the very best indictor of future voting behavior.

And again, since most screens are too loose, I expect that if the turnout does rise, they will screw up LESS rather than more than they do historically.

I would worry about ARG.  The CBS Screen is waaay to loose, so it's not an issue for them,  

ABC might be a bit too tight, I'd have to think on that one a bit (goes back to look at his notes)

Likely Voters 101 -
a.k.a. Why Gallup bounces around so much

There are really two basic ways to sort out the likely, from the unlikely.

The first is to base it on past voting behavior; the other is to base it upon current level of voter interest, or you can do both.

In reality you MUST do both.

Round Numbers:

Out of a sample of 1000, about 825 +/- are registered, and of that 825 +/- about 550 will actually vote.

A good likely voter screen has to deal with 4 groups. Clearly this in not perfect "model", and there are certainly grey areas, but it generally works pretty well.  The boundaries between the 4 groups % wise will change a few percent election to election, but historically these are pretty close.

Firstly, there are the "partisans" - people strongly associated with a party or a cause.  They make up "about" 44% of the population, and of the 44% about 34% out of that 44% actually vote.

These people show up in EVERY poll, registered, likely, super likely, hotdog, whatever.. From a polling perspective, these guys are NOT the problem.  You can't design a screen these people will NOT get through.

The next group of voters is the "Good Citizens" these people are weakly, if at all, associated with a party or cause.  They vote because they are, well, simply "Good Citizens" and vote because it is the right thing to do.

They make up about 10% of the population, and 80% of them (ie 8% of the 54% or so who actually vote)

Because they very regularly vote, a "likely voter" poll that questions about past voting behavior will include them, but a poll which ONLY asks about "Are you paying attention" or "How much have you thought about the election" etc will chronically under represent this block.

The next group is the intermittent voters.  These folks vote 40ish % of the time.  

This is the group you have to sort out by asking "Who much attention are you paying…" etc….

The last group, the Unlikely, rarely vote but about 1/3rd are actually registered.  (Motor Voter)

A few % of this group stagger to the polls each election, but in terms of screening you can just about write them off.  Unless they score HUGE in the voter interest questions you never count these folks as likely.

Voters who are 22 or less you basically ignore the previous voting behavior questions.

If somebody is 18 and actually took the time to get registered (ie went to the courthouse, etc NOT just Motor voter) , you count them as likely unless they prettty much tell you they won't vote.

About 2/3rd of 18 year olds who get BY ACTUALLY TAKING THE INITITIVE to get registereed (non-motir voter) actually vote (over all voting is still olny 1/3 or so of actual 18 year oilds however),

There are some firms I would single out as doing a really good job on "likely" voter screening:

Democracy Corps (D)
Gallup
Teeter/Hart (Bob Teeter RIP Sad )
Terrance Group/Battleground
Public Opinion Strategies (R)
Zogby (yes - I am saying something nice about Zogby)
Mason Dixon
Harris
TIPP
ABC (?)

There is a downside to screening for both however.

If you are still a long way out from the election, depending on if Candidate X or Y had a good week, the level of enthusiasm of their supporters will go up and down - thus moving them in and/or out of the likely voter category.

Because of this, polls like Gallup (actually especially Gallup) will show very large swings in the electorate when you are many months away from the actual election date. (Gallup has swung from Kerrry +12, to Bush +6, to Kerry +6 in the last 4 months)

Example.

I want to know who has more fans - the St. Louis Rams or the Green Bay Packers.  I define a "likely" fan as somebody who is "enthusiastic" about their team.

The Rams just beat the Packers 63-7 in week 2 of the regular season.  Needless to say, the Packer fans are less enthusiastic, and thus less likely, while the opposite is true of Rams fans. - A poll of "likely" football fans will show a huge swing to the Rams.

Fast forward to the day before the Superbowl NFC Championship between the Rams and the Packers.. here the "likely" Football fan screen would likely work very well….

ATFFL
Junior Chimp
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2004, 01:52:32 PM »

Another factor to consider is what causes the large turnout.  In 1994 Republican enthusiasm raised turnout, but the excess was almost all for the Republicans, against the notion of higher turnout favorign Dems.

Oh, and Vorlon, the Rams and Packers could never meet in the Superbowl, they are both in the NFC.   This has, of course, totally ruined your credibility with me and I will have to ignore any point you make, no matter how valid, unless, of course, your point happens to validate my opinion, in which case you will be right, but only in that case, or other cases in which you support me.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2004, 01:55:18 PM »

HAHAHA . . . Tredrick.

Dream superbowl match-up for me would be the Jets vs the Giants.  I could wear both of my jersey's at the same time.  Smiley
The Vorlon
Vorlon
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2004, 02:03:17 PM »

Oh, and Vorlon, the Rams and Packers could never meet in the Superbowl, they are both in the NFC.

My Bad.. Sad

Corrected.. Smiley

Fast forward to the day before the Superbowl NFC Championship between the Rams and the Packers.. here the "likely" Football fan screen would likely work very well….
classical liberal
RightWingNut

Political Matrix
E: 9.35, S: -8.26

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2004, 02:29:43 PM »

This year the Republicans have what appears to be a very effective "activation" apparatus in gear, with no sight yet of a comprable Democrat effort yet.

The Republicans do have an "activation apparatus" this year, however it is pobably only going to compensate for half of the turnout depression from the private GOTV org mutiny abrew due to profligate spending.

The Dems on the other hand, have no official "apparatus" this year.  However, they do have George Soros and to a lesser extent Warren Buffet running private efforts to compensate, and in my opinion overcompensate, for the lack of an apparatus.

I project a 6% turnout shift to the Dems (3 GOP short + 3 Dem high), with between 2/4 and 2/3 of voters turning out.
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2004, 10:14:39 PM »

Sorry, but don't see would be republican voters staying home.

They are correct that Bush has spent too much in the aggregate, but, they recognize that Kerry would be much worse.

I am waiting for someone to do a real biography of Soros and the source of his money (i.e. who are the "investors" whose money he used in his schemes).
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2004, 07:23:45 AM »

Dream superbowl match-up for me would be the Jets vs the Giants.  I could wear both of my jersey's at the same time.  Smiley

I'm a big Jets fan.  Unforturnately (or fortunately in the Giants case), I doubt either team will break 8 wins this year.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies