AFL/CIO says Gephardt is a "done deal" for VP (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 05:27:07 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  AFL/CIO says Gephardt is a "done deal" for VP (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: AFL/CIO says Gephardt is a "done deal" for VP  (Read 6388 times)
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« on: June 14, 2004, 02:09:32 PM »

I don't think it's a bad choice.  As I said before, a 2-3% boost in Missouri would go a long way.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2004, 02:12:09 PM »

Edwards doesn't have the actual labor connections and he isn't a native of the state.  I don't think Edwards would give the same boost in Missouri like you say.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2004, 02:16:20 PM »
« Edited: June 14, 2004, 02:19:36 PM by Lunar »

DEMOCRATS WIN IN ALL OF THE FOLLOWING SCENARIOS:

A chance of getting the big M gives him a lot of outs.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2004, 04:30:23 PM »

Here' something no one has pointed out- Dick Gephardt has never run for statewide office in Missouri.  Most of the time, a politician from a state puts that state in your column, but then again, most of the time they have run for statewide office before (Senator or Governor).  Gephardt even had to have his district redrawn because he could barely carry St. Louis anymore.  Missouri is as much a swing state with Gephardt on a ticket as without him.

I disagree slightly, I think he gives a slight boost to Kerry.

Not only is he a native, but he has those vital labor connections which can provide the organization Kerry needs to have a decent shot at the state.  Those same connections could help in several other states as well.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2004, 04:44:48 PM »

I've asked a number of times why nobody mentions the name of Evan Bayh.
Only one person responded, saying that it would be difficult for him to deliver Indiana (which I agree, but at least would force Bush to spend some time there) but would certainly help in OH and PA - well, that's enough for me. Bayh, being a centrist could also help in states like MO, AZ and NV, at least making them real toss-ups.

They would have a lot of conflicting views, but I've always said he was one of the top choices.

Why nobody has mentioned former Sen. Max Cleland as a possible choice? he could really help in the south and good be popular nationwide.

On top of being a loser for that Georgia senate seat, choosing a one-armed man is way too corny.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2004, 06:46:40 PM »

Ben, Kerry is guaranteed to pick someone more moderate than himself.  The vice president has no real power and if Kerry kicks the bucket you'll end up with someone closer to your beliefs.  There aren't that many people more liberal than him...
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2004, 11:25:54 PM »

Gephardt is not at all well liked in Missouri outside his congressional district.  In fact his congressional district itself is not well liked by the rest of Missouri!

But that one CD can win Kerry the state if he gets good turnout there and does about what Gore did in the other areas.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2004, 06:23:06 PM »

Those labor connections got him Iowa in the 88 primary and exist throughout the country.  They weren't enough to give him the victory, it's that simple.    They are still an asset.

There are a lot of reasons why he lost Iowa so badly.  Poor strategy, many candidates, etc.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies