AFL/CIO says Gephardt is a "done deal" for VP (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 11:26:29 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  AFL/CIO says Gephardt is a "done deal" for VP (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: AFL/CIO says Gephardt is a "done deal" for VP  (Read 6395 times)
Mort from NewYawk
MortfromNewYawk

« on: June 14, 2004, 03:12:05 PM »

Gephardt has more gravitas than Edwards. Most voters would rather have a known quantity a heartbeat away from the Presidency, someone with a long record of service.

The protectionist plank is the key thing here. Voters concerned about outsourcing aren't going to vote for the Dems based on Gephardt's stump speech. How far is Kerry willing to go with this? Bush will probably take an unambiguous free trade position. I can see Kerry getting into big trouble for flip-flopping on trade.

Additionally, Gephardt has failed in his quest for the Presidency more than any politician in recent memory. He's not the best way to excite the young left. Supersoulty is right  - this move risks losing young voters to Nader, which is bad for holding MN, NH, and OR.

Gephardt endorsing Kerry
Mort from NewYawk
MortfromNewYawk

« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2004, 11:29:48 AM »

The accepted wisdom, after twelve years of support by Clinton and then Bush, is that free trade, though it hurts certain sectors, is a wiser economic policy for the nation than restricted trade. If Kerry is supposed to be the thoughtful and studied candidate, and the economy is where he's supposedly the more capable man, shouldn't he be supporting that policy which economists approve?

I think the GOP will not waste any time in portraying Kerry as pandering to a key constituency with a platform he doesn't really support. Kerry, under pressure, is sure to take about five different positions on the subject. His support is not so strong that he can afford much more of that.
Mort from NewYawk
MortfromNewYawk

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2004, 02:55:39 PM »

You talk about the Democrats losing young votes if Gephardt is the nominee -- you got that right. If it's Kerry/Gephardt (who I dislike a LOT), I'm voting Nader.

1. Another Nader-voting "centrist"

2. Will you be in NY or MD when you vote for Ralph?

Call it a protest vote, and shove it your ass Miami.

Now, now Nation. No need to get nasty.

We understand that if Kerry chooses Gephardt it shows that he's just another politician who will sell out real change for the sake of getting elected.

If Gephardt is chosen, I hope Howard Dean will come out and speak the truth like you.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies