Seat Belt Laws
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 06:30:22 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Constitution and Law (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Seat Belt Laws
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Constitutionally...
Sound

Unsound

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 28

Author Topic: Seat Belt Laws  (Read 14280 times)
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 03, 2006, 01:11:11 PM »

Click it or Ticket

Option 2.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2006, 01:52:10 PM »

I don't really care, though when you get into a crash and fly through your windshield and smash into the pavement and have your face scrape off as you skid twenty feet, I fully expect the emergengy services workers to go help people who truly deserve help,  or to just sick and back and watch you die as your pathetic life flashes before your eyes.
Bdub
Brandon W
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2006, 04:14:55 PM »

Option 2.  Its not the governments responsibility to tell me to wear my seatbelt.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2006, 06:05:51 PM »

I don't really care, though when you get into a crash and fly through your windshield and smash into the pavement and have your face scrape off as you skid twenty feet, I fully expect the emergengy services workers to go help people who truly deserve help,  or to just sick and back and watch you die as your pathetic life flashes before your eyes.

You are very right (for the record I do wear my seatbelt 95% of the time), I even had a good friend killed that way a few months back. But regardless, its a persons individual choice and as long as that action isn't affecting any other persons individual rights the govt should have no say in the matter.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2006, 01:14:16 AM »

Constitutionally? Hard to say.

I oppose them, at least if the punishment is anything more than being required to take a class educating you as to how stupid it is to not wear a seat belt or some such.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2006, 03:26:40 AM »

option 1.  only time i've ever agreed w/ granholm
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2006, 08:04:49 AM »

I'd say it's constitutionally sound at the state level(depending on the state constitutions though), but not at the federal level. The feds don't have any such authority granted by the constitution in my view.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2006, 06:06:39 PM »

I find it funny that we are forced to wear seatbelts in the car but not helmets on my Harley.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2006, 12:42:17 AM »

You are very right (for the record I do wear my seatbelt 95% of the time), I even had a good friend killed that way a few months back. But regardless, its a persons individual choice and as long as that action isn't affecting any other persons individual rights the govt should have no say in the matter.

We've finally found an issue we fully agree on. Smiley
DWPerry
Puerto Rico

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2006, 02:23:47 AM »

I would love to find out how much money insurance companies & car seat manufacturers gave to lobby States to pass laws requiring the use of car seats for children. After all, what better way to make money than to get the gov't to mandate people buy your product.

BTW, I only wear my seatbelt in a rental car, and that's only because I get the ones that beep if you don't wear it.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2006, 06:30:01 AM »

BTW, I only wear my seatbelt in a rental car, and that's only because I get the ones that beep if you don't wear it.

So how many times do you rent a car? Cheesy
DWPerry
Puerto Rico

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2006, 11:54:56 AM »

So how many times do you rent a car? Cheesy

At least once a month when I go to Pennsylvania to see my son.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2006, 11:45:03 PM »
« Edited: September 13, 2006, 11:49:33 PM by Jesus »

??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2006, 12:46:02 AM »

Windshields don't have "sharp pointy glass" as your descriptive picture shows.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2006, 01:33:04 AM »
« Edited: September 14, 2006, 02:05:38 AM by memphis »

Seat Belt laws serve the public interest in that a huge sum of public money is spent addressing head traumas that unbuckled motorists receive in accidents.  Saving these funds is the intent of such laws. Since these laws are not federal laws, they only need not violate any rights protected under the Constitution. As far as I can tell, they seem constitutional. Regardless of the law, I urge everybody to wear their seatbelts. Amid America's fascination with safety, we are completely overlooking the fact that roughly 40,000 Americans (roughly comprable to the number killed during the entirety of Vietnam) are killed each year in automobile accidents. Over a million people worldwide are killed each year.  Somehow the TV totally ignores this.
DWPerry
Puerto Rico

« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2006, 02:02:53 AM »

It would be in the "public interest" to install seat belts on toilets as well, because someone might fall off and hit their head on the pointy corner of the bathroom sink that needs a protective rubber coating.
People fall down stairs everyday, so why not pass a law outlawing any structure that requires someone to step up?
People choke on food all the time, so should we pass a law requiring food to only be served in liquid form, but not hot liquid because you might get burned and not cold liquid because you may get "ice-cream headache"?
How about beds? They should be required to have rails around the side because people fall out of bed all the time.

You see where I'm going with this (hopefully). Once you allow the government to tell you what you have to do for "your safety" in public, they will soon be able to tell you what you can do for "your safety" in private as well.

With that being said, I will now put my federally mandated helmet back on my head, so that if I fall I will not sustain life-threatening injuries requiring millions of tax-dollars to remain in a vegetative state.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2006, 02:09:51 AM »

It would be in the "public interest" to install seat belts on toilets as well, because someone might fall off and hit their head on the pointy corner of the bathroom sink that needs a protective rubber coating.
People fall down stairs everyday, so why not pass a law outlawing any structure that requires someone to step up?
People choke on food all the time, so should we pass a law requiring food to only be served in liquid form, but not hot liquid because you might get burned and not cold liquid because you may get "ice-cream headache"?
How about beds? They should be required to have rails around the side because people fall out of bed all the time.

You see where I'm going with this (hopefully). Once you allow the government to tell you what you have to do for "your safety" in public, they will soon be able to tell you what you can do for "your safety" in private as well.

With that being said, I will now put my federally mandated helmet back on my head, so that if I fall I will not sustain life-threatening injuries requiring millions of tax-dollars to remain in a vegetative state.

I think that you are missing the scale of car accidents. All of your mock examples are highly unlikely events.  Over 100 Americans die in car accidents every day. We need to minimize the governement money spent on health care for the far greater number who survive. Just to rile the conservatives, I'll point out that their " I don't want the government protecting me from my own stupidity" argument also implies support for the repeal of laws prohibiting drug use.
DWPerry
Puerto Rico

« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2006, 02:56:23 AM »

I think that you are missing the scale of car accidents. All of your mock examples are highly unlikely events.  Over 100 Americans die in car accidents every day. We need to minimize the governement money spent on health care for the far greater number who survive. Just to rile the conservatives, I'll point out that their " I don't want the government protecting me from my own stupidity" argument also implies support for the repeal of laws prohibiting drug use.

I agree with you on the drug use laws needing repealed; until the early 1900's there were no Federal drug laws, it was a State issue. You could even buy heroine (which was created by Bayer) out of the Sear's Catalog!
DWPerry
Puerto Rico

« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2007, 01:39:13 AM »

KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -0.05

« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2007, 02:27:16 AM »

Time to move to New Hampshire, then.  It's the only state where seat belts are optional.

(So is car insurance, but that's a different argument.)
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2007, 08:47:39 AM »

Time to move to New Hampshire, then.  It's the only state where seat belts are optional.

(So is car insurance, but that's a different argument.)

I love New Hampshire for that, though I'd assume things may eventually change there now that Democrats are in charge.  (It can't stay old school libertarian forever.)

Personally, I'm against seatbelt laws as a primary enforcement law.  You should always wear a seatbelt, but if you want to go flying through the windshield, that's your own business.  I think it's worthy to keep the law on the books as a secondary enforcement law -- it's a good way to give cops an out from writing you a more costly ticket when they pull you over.  Plus, by keeping it illegal at least on some level, it helps prop up seatbelt use.

Car insurance, unless you can "self insure," should absolutely, 100% be mandatory.  If you hit me while I'm in the crosswalk, you damn well better have someone behind you to pay for the damage you caused.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2007, 10:58:08 AM »

My 2 cents without reading the long thread: Car Search jurisprudence is ed.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2007, 01:25:08 AM »

Car insurance, unless you can "self insure," should absolutely, 100% be mandatory.  If you hit me while I'm in the crosswalk, you damn well better have someone behind you to pay for the damage you caused.

Car insurance should be voluntary and no-fault, with a conviction for reckless driving required to allow suit.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2007, 06:51:42 AM »

Car insurance should be voluntary and no-fault, with a conviction for reckless driving required to allow suit.

I agree - car insurance shouldn't be mandatory.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2007, 12:47:29 PM »

Amid America's fascination with safety, we are completely overlooking the fact that roughly 40,000 Americans (roughly comprable to the number killed during the entirety of Vietnam) are killed each year in automobile accidents. Over a million people worldwide are killed each year.  Somehow the TV totally ignores this.

The reason is obvious, memphis - in our Calvinist/masochistic society a risk bourne while going to WORK is acceptable, even commendable.  We only abhor risks which might entail enjoyment.

Oh and as to the question - obviously seat belt laws violate the Right to Privacy in the constitution.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies