Get to Know Your Country NEW JERSEY!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:03:20 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Get to Know Your Country NEW JERSEY!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Author Topic: Get to Know Your Country NEW JERSEY!  (Read 14103 times)
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: September 04, 2006, 04:54:51 PM »

Is it true the state motto is, "The armpit of America"?

Actually, I believe it's "Liberty and Prosperity".

Actually, it's "Liberty, Prosperity and Armpits."
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #76 on: September 04, 2006, 05:20:50 PM »

(All of this New Jersey-flogging is in good fun.  I'm sure it's a very nice state, and I would definiely not mind a place like Bergen County. Tongue)

We only have Seattle?  We have a metropolitan area that stretches from north of Seattle down to south of Tacoma.  Several million people, and none of the crapholes New Jersey has.

Gay people are nice.

I live in Bergen, please let me know where this high gay areas are, because I am not familiar w/them.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #77 on: September 04, 2006, 05:34:39 PM »

All I know is this, NJ is a nice place, I like being able to go to NYC and the ESPN Zone for lunch and home for dinner.  I like the fact that I live in a semi-quiet, until the Democrats took over a very suburban town.  I like that I can go down the shore, I have family in Point Pleasant, and be there in an hour.  I can also go out to the rural areas and farms in Sussex County and back soon.

Bottom line is this:
NJ is nice because I can go to the biggest city in the world (which as mentioned before in NJ it is just "the city", and everyone knows what you mean), down the shore, or out to farmland and all take only an hour.

If we start electing non-scumbugs, either Dem and Republican (Forrester, Menendez and Corzine 1,2,3), NJ will be a much nicer place to live.  Just let's hope Menendez's dream of making all of NJ Hudson County doesn't come true.

Conan, I do where exactly you are, but I'm in southern Bergen and we can already feel the effects of the Democrats trying to make everything rundown crime-ridden Hudson County.  I'd hesitate to vote Menendez unless you want to be killed, literally.  Hell, someone broke my cousin's car window w/a baseball bat last night, stuff like that never happened when the GOP was in control.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #78 on: September 04, 2006, 06:03:23 PM »

I live in Bergen, please let me know where this high gay areas are, because I am not familiar w/them.

Why, so you know which park to go to? McGreevy might now, you may want to email him.
Rin-chan
rinchan089
YaBB God
Japan

Political Matrix
E: 6.84, S: 5.57

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #79 on: September 04, 2006, 06:15:23 PM »

Is Somerset considered North Jersey? I'd say it's Central. North Jersey ROCKS!

Well relative to you, we are Central Jersey, but I think we're considered North because we're by NYC.  I'd say Central is Middlesex, Mercer, Monmouth, and maybe even Burlington.  All the ones in between NYC and Philly metro areas.  Whatever, we're in the very northeastern corner of Somerset, so at least we're North Jersey.

I say we can all agree on North-Central Jersey.

Rin-chan
Rin-chan
rinchan089
YaBB God
Japan

Political Matrix

« Reply #80 on: September 04, 2006, 06:18:48 PM »

Why, so you know which park to go to? McGreevy might now, you may want to email him.

Ahahaha!!  He was such a freak...

I'm not trying to say anything against gay people, but I thought he was a freak BEFORE he came out of the closet.

Rin-chan
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #81 on: September 04, 2006, 10:20:27 PM »

I'm from Central Islip.

Yeah, the Haptons pretty much are LI's trump card.  Oh, and Fire Island, until it disappears under the waves.

TOWN (ZIP CODE) / MEDIAN HOME PRICE
WATER MILL, N.Y. (11976) / $1.58 million
MANTOLOKING, N.J. (08738) / $1.33 million

No other Hamptons towns even made it close.  You are fast losing your grip on extremely over-priced yet lovely beach getaways.  And I must say, Mantoloking is quite a high-class, up and coming town.  Rin-chan owns a house down there that I went to visit with her, and it was perfect.  I can't imagine the Hamptons being any better.

The Hamptons suck.  My uncle used to live there.  There are only like one or two towns that are kinda nice, but nowhere near Mantoloking.

Oh, and wannt know why Mantoloking is so spiffy?  No school in town.  That makes for less money wasted on taxes.

Rin-chan

The Hamptons are really nice with the beaches, some very immaculate homes right on the water.   Some of the nicest areas on Long Island are along the north shore in Nassau County (known as the "Gold Coast".  Not enough sales data in some of these areas (as many of them are small towns) to make the Forbes Most expesinve List, but the median price in areas like Sands Point, Old Brookville, Matinecock, Muttontown, Centre Island, Locust Valley, etc.  I remember seeing something years ago (97 maybe) that the median home in Matinecock was $1.6 million (and this was BEFORE the real estate boom in which prices here have more than doubled since 2000) Sands Point is just absolutley nuts and the median price has to be in the several million range as well.   Many of these areas were listed as $1 million+ in the 2000 census (the highest that data goes up to.  And as I sid average prices here have more than doubled since then, and that $1 million + in the census, was well over $1million, and that is seven year old data (its absed off 99 figures)
Conan
conan

« Reply #82 on: September 05, 2006, 12:30:15 AM »

I'm from Central Islip.

Yeah, the Haptons pretty much are LI's trump card.  Oh, and Fire Island, until it disappears under the waves.

No other Hamptons towns even made it close.  You are fast losing your grip on extremely over-priced yet lovely beach getaways.  And I must say, Mantoloking is quite a high-class, up and coming town.  Rin-chan owns a house down there that I went to visit with her, and it was perfect.  I can't imagine the Hamptons being any better.

The Hamptons suck.  My uncle used to live there.  There are only like one or two towns that are kinda nice, but nowhere near Mantoloking.

Oh, and wannt know why Mantoloking is so spiffy?  No school in town.  That makes for less money wasted on taxes.

Rin-chan

The Hamptons are really nice with the beaches, some very immaculate homes right on the water.   Some of the nicest areas on Long Island are along the north shore in Nassau County (known as the "Gold Coast".  Not enough sales data in some of these areas (as many of them are small towns) to make the Forbes Most expesinve List, but the median price in areas like Sands Point, Old Brookville, Matinecock, Muttontown, Centre Island, Locust Valley, etc.  I remember seeing something years ago (97 maybe) that the median home in Matinecock was $1.6 million (and this was BEFORE the real estate boom in which prices here have more than doubled since 2000) Sands Point is just absolutley nuts and the median price has to be in the several million range as well.   Many of these areas were listed as $1 million+ in the 2000 census (the highest that data goes up to.  And as I sid average prices here have more than doubled since then, and that $1 million + in the census, was well over $1million, and that is seven year old data (its absed off 99 figures)
The Hamptons do not suck! They are awesome and beautiful.
Conan
conan

« Reply #83 on: September 05, 2006, 12:32:14 AM »

Conan, I do where exactly you are, but I'm in southern Bergen and we can already feel the effects of the Democrats trying to make everything rundown crime-ridden Hudson County.  I'd hesitate to vote Menendez unless you want to be killed, literally.  Hell, someone broke my cousin's car window w/a baseball bat last night, stuff like that never happened when the GOP was in control.

When exactly were the Republicans ever in control of anything in that area?  And I don't think Menendez is very closely related to your cousin's car being broken into.  Besides, so what if it got broken into, it's not like everyone you know is having that happen to them every day.  AND I've never really considered southern Bergen one of the nicer areas of New Jersey anyway.
Depends from town to town in south Bergen. North Bergen is all the rich towns. Its still a nice place to live convenience wise and standard of living.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #84 on: September 05, 2006, 08:13:47 AM »

North Bergen is Hudson, and that place scares me to death.  South Bergen county used to be a nice area, but now that the Dems are in control, they weren't before, they are making it more like Hudson County, and crime rates are increasing.  People are coming from North Bergen and Passaic and reaking havoc.  And five windows got smashed in one night, that's pretty bad, the cop said it was kids going crazy before school started.

Maybe it's not the Democrats fault as much as it Guilliani's.  He wiped crime out of the city, but it didn't disappear, it went to the suburbs.

When exactly were the Republicans ever in control of anything in that area?  And I don't think Menendez is very closely related to your cousin's car being broken into.  Besides, so what if it got broken into, it's not like everyone you know is having that happen to them every day.  AND I've never really considered southern Bergen one of the nicer areas of New Jersey anyway.
Depends from town to town in south Bergen. North Bergen is all the rich towns. Its still a nice place to live convenience wise and standard of living.
Rin-chan
rinchan089
YaBB God
Japan

Political Matrix

« Reply #85 on: September 06, 2006, 11:01:55 AM »

I'm from Central Islip.

Rin-chan

The Hamptons do not suck! They are awesome and beautiful.

Have you stayed in Mantoloking?

If you have, then you would understand.

Oh, and I meant they sucked compared to places like Mantoloking.

Rin-chan
Rin-chan
rinchan089
YaBB God
Japan

Political Matrix

« Reply #86 on: September 06, 2006, 11:04:13 AM »

North Bergen is Hudson, and that place scares me to death.  South Bergen county used to be a nice area, but now that the Dems are in control, they weren't before, they are making it more like Hudson County, and crime rates are increasing.  People are coming from North Bergen and Passaic and reaking havoc.  And five windows got smashed in one night, that's pretty bad, the cop said it was kids going crazy before school started.

Maybe it's not the Democrats fault as much as it Guilliani's.  He wiped crime out of the city, but it didn't disappear, it went to the suburbs.

I agree.

Personally, it's not as nice as Somerset county (only because that's my home Smiley ), but I have spent quite a bit of time in parts of Bergen county and it's very nice.  Lots of traffic in places llike Ridgewood, but very nice.

Rin-chan
Conan
conan

« Reply #87 on: September 06, 2006, 02:58:05 PM »

I agree.

Personally, it's not as nice as Somerset county (only because that's my home Smiley ), but I have spent quite a bit of time in parts of Bergen county and it's very nice.  Lots of traffic in places llike Ridgewood, but very nice.

Rin-chan
Bergen is the place to be.
Conan
conan

« Reply #88 on: May 19, 2007, 09:17:03 PM »

New Jersey is a nice state, end of story.
I can't believe you dug this up. I was looking at it to check something that someone said last year and then all of the sudden i get to the end and you commented on it today. very weird.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #89 on: May 20, 2007, 08:11:41 AM »

What is the point of NJ's existence? Suburbia for one state and extention of countryside for another....might as well be merged into NY and PA.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #90 on: May 20, 2007, 08:25:26 AM »

What is the point of NJ's existence? Suburbia for one state and extention of countryside for another....might as well be merged into NY and PA.

Who could NJ get any worse government wise?  Merge with NY.  Although I guess they have a much better governor and better assembly
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #91 on: May 20, 2007, 08:26:57 AM »

*ducks the assured enfilade*
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #92 on: May 20, 2007, 11:04:17 AM »

Do we have any real southern Jersey posters (meaning really south direction wise)?  I know Fezzy and Rin-chan are middle state, me and Verily are in Bergen County (NE) and Conan is out in Sussex (NW)
Undisguised Sockpuppet
Straha
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Political Matrix
E: 6.52, S: 2.00

« Reply #93 on: May 20, 2007, 11:05:02 AM »

We should get rid of PA and split it between NJ and Ohio. Maybe then people would stop talking about PA-13
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #94 on: May 20, 2007, 06:44:55 PM »

I for one wouldn't object to a division and annexation of New Jersey by New York and Pennsylvania.

Conan
conan

« Reply #95 on: May 20, 2007, 08:27:13 PM »

I for one wouldn't object to a division and annexation of New Jersey by New York and Pennsylvania.

So instead of having 5 dem senators (and eventually 6), you'd rather have only  only 4? If anything PA is the lesser of the 3 states in terms of being worth anything.
CultureKing
United States

« Reply #96 on: May 20, 2007, 08:29:48 PM »

Personally I think that is a pretty good idea. By the way here in Washington everyone seems to think that New Jersey is just an endless expanse of Suberbia, is this true?
Also to make your state better you could just add mountains it worked for us (and not little hills like the Appalachians, but real, meaty mountains like the Rockies, Cascades or Sierra Nevadas)
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #97 on: May 20, 2007, 08:41:38 PM »

Plus move Bergen County to PA or its own state and then I will accept
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #98 on: May 20, 2007, 09:09:32 PM »

Plus move Bergen County to PA or its own state and then I will accept

Why would you want Bergen in PA?

B/c I don't want to live in NY, nice for visit not nice to live.
Conan
conan

« Reply #99 on: May 20, 2007, 09:34:55 PM »

Personally I think that is a pretty good idea. By the way here in Washington everyone seems to think that New Jersey is just an endless expanse of Suberbia, is this true?
Also to make your state better you could just add mountains it worked for us (and not little hills like the Appalachians, but real, meaty mountains like the Rockies, Cascades or Sierra Nevadas)
Yes we are just a continuous piece of suburbia. We do have the pine barrens which is huge and protected though. And there are also plenty of farms such as in the northeast and tons of cornfields throughout the state but according to the US Census, we are a big blob of suburbia.

Some mountains in North Carolina (Appalachian) are pretty huge.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies