Does anyone know why Brian Fitzpatrick is currently unopposed?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 08:53:40 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Does anyone know why Brian Fitzpatrick is currently unopposed?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Does anyone know why Brian Fitzpatrick is currently unopposed?  (Read 1519 times)
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 02, 2017, 07:11:54 AM »
« edited: October 02, 2017, 07:13:36 AM by Malcolm X »

His Bucks County district seems like it should be a top-target and yet no one is running.  It's not like NY-1 (Zeldin's seat) where you have two A-list recruits who want to run and are just sorting out which of them is going to jump in ahead of time so that there isn't a major primary battle between close allies.  It's also not a district like AR-2 or OH-16 (or hell, even OH-1) that Democrats should really be targeting, but might not because it seems tough on paper.  Fitzpatrick also isn't some sort of long-time incumbent like LoBiondo, so what's up with this district?  Is this just a huge recruiting failure or is there something else going on that some of our PA posters could shed a light on?
Since I'm the mad scientist proclaimed by myself
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2017, 10:34:06 AM »

It is pretty early.
Alabama_Indy10
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2017, 10:40:08 AM »

Because it's October 2017.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2017, 05:43:42 PM »

Fair
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2017, 01:06:03 PM »

His Bucks County district seems like it should be a top-target and yet no one is running.  It's not like NY-1 (Zeldin's seat) where you have two A-list recruits who want to run and are just sorting out which of them is going to jump in ahead of time so that there isn't a major primary battle between close allies.  It's also not a district like AR-2 or OH-16 (or hell, even OH-1) that Democrats should really be targeting, but might not because it seems tough on paper.  Fitzpatrick also isn't some sort of long-time incumbent like LoBiondo, so what's up with this district?  Is this just a huge recruiting failure or is there something else going on that some of our PA posters could shed a light on?
I'm on LI and I'm embarrassed to admit I have hear nothing about this can I gwt some info
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2017, 01:14:54 PM »

I'm on LI and I'm embarrassed to admit I have hear nothing about this can I gwt some info

Apparently, Fred Thiele and Kate Browning had both been looking at this race and trying to sort out which of them would run here (I think Browning is stronger and would probably beat Zeldin if the environment in 2018 is anything like it has been during the cycle thus far).  I say that because as I was typing this post, I just read that Thiele announced he wouldn't run in NY-1 yesterday and that Browning – who just switched her party registration from Working Families to Democratic – said earlier today that she will announce her plans next week, so I suspect she's going to jump in soon.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2017, 08:49:19 PM »
« Edited: October 05, 2017, 07:12:36 AM by Adam T »

It's actually not that early.  The filing deadline in Pennsylvania is February of 2018.  Also, according to www.politics1.com the Democrats already have candidates in place in 206 or so of the 240 Republican held districts (I'm not including the open Utah 3rd district.)

I added up the total myself so don't go looking for it there.  

Fitzpatrick is the only Republican U.S House member in Pennsylvania to not have a declared Democratic opponent.

http://www.politics1.com/pa.htm
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2017, 08:53:22 PM »

Apparently, Fred Thiele and Kate Browning had both been looking at this race and trying to sort out which of them would run here (I think Browning is stronger and would probably beat Zeldin if the environment in 2018 is anything like it has been during the cycle thus far).  I say that because as I was typing this post, I just read that Thiele announced he wouldn't run in NY-1 yesterday and that Browning – who just switched her party registration from Working Families to Democratic – said earlier today that she will announce her plans next week, so I suspect she's going to jump in soon.

According to politics1, there are already several Democrats running in the New York 1st U.S House district

District 1:
Lee Zeldin (R)* - (Campaign Site)
Kate Browning (D) - Suffolk County Legislator & Ex-School Bus Driver (potential candidate)
Elaine DiMasi (D) - Physicist
Perry Gershon (D) - Lending Corporation Executive
Brendon Henry (D)
Will Newman (D)
Viral Patel (D) - Physician  (potential candidate)
David Pechefsky (D) - Ex-NYC Council Aide, Political Consultant & '09 NYC Council Candidate
Vivian Viloria Fisher (D) - Ex-Suffolk County Legislator & Retired Teacher

http://www.politics1.com/ny.htm
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2017, 09:30:52 PM »

Sadly, the local Dems in the Philly suburbs outside of a few select areas in the inner suburbs are petrified of their respective local GOP organizations.  Typically in areas that have only recently trended Democratic, the voters are typically younger hence not as established in their respective communitues hence the Dems have weaker benches despite the fact they have voted Dem at the Presidential level.  I live in such an area in Montgomery County.  

Typically, the GOP has a stocked bench of good 'ol Irish Catholic boys in such Congressional and State Legislative seats while the Dems have to make due with much younger, weaker candidates who are less known in the community   However, I'm wondering why despite Daylin Leach in PA 7 and that clown car race there no one is stepping up in PA 8.
Ye We Can
Mumph

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2017, 08:56:29 PM »
« Edited: October 06, 2017, 12:03:22 AM by Mumph »

From what I've seen of Fitzpatrick he seems like a relatively stronger than usual incumbent as well.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2017, 03:26:38 AM »

From what I've seen of Fitzpatrick he seems like a relatively stronger than usual incumbent as well.

And, except for abortion issue (Catholic, IIRC) - one of the most moderate by present day Republican standards. So, less votes to attack on....
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2017, 09:24:35 PM »

And, except for abortion issue (Catholic, IIRC) - one of the most moderate by present day Republican standards. So, less votes to attack on....

Still 80ish percent too many compatible votes with Trump.  The local GOP are experts at insulating themselves and are never properly called out due to weak support or candidates.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2017, 09:28:57 PM »

And someone has stepped in...

http://www.politicspa.com/veteran-enters-race-to-challenge-fitzpatrick/84911/

Same M.O. as my Congressional seat a female veteran and outsider. 
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies