Cabinet Restructuring Bill [withdrawn]
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 07:30:37 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Cabinet Restructuring Bill [withdrawn]
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Cabinet Restructuring Bill [withdrawn]  (Read 1230 times)
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 12, 2006, 07:39:01 AM »
« edited: September 12, 2006, 06:54:30 PM by Senator Dave 'Hawk' PPT »

Cabinet Restructuring Bill

1. Article VIII, Section 2, Clause 1 is replaced with:

These Executive Departments are hereby established: Forum Affairs, Defense and Foreign Affairs, and Domestic Affairs. The Principal Officer of the Department of Forum Affairs shall be a Secretary, and the Principal Officer of the other departments shall be the Vice President.

2. Any mention of "Attorney General" in Atlasian Law shall be replaced with "Secretary of Forum Affairs".

3. Any mention of "Secretary of Defense", "Secretary of State", or "Secretary of Treasury" shall be replaced with "Vice President".

4. Any mention of "Justice Department" shall be replaced with "Department of Forum Affairs".

5. The mention of "Attorney General" in Article VIII, Section 2, Clause 4 shall be replaced with "Vice President".

Sponsor: Sen. Jake
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2006, 07:41:00 AM »

Basically abolishing the "cabinet". Good idea that.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2006, 07:57:51 AM »

Senator Jake had styled this the Cabinet Restructuring Bill, but its actually an Amendment to Article VIII Section 2: Miscellaneous Carry-overs, Clause 1 of the Second Constitution and I've styled it as such

I'd very much appreciate it if members of the Cabinet gave their opinions on the Senator's proposals

I lean opposed. It is concentrating too much responsilibity on the Vice President. As you know, our current Vice President, Q, has been absent almost two months and while his removal from office is imminent, what in the blue-hell are we supposed to do were the Senator's amendment to pass the Senate and, subsequently, ratified by the Regions, if similar circumstances were to happen again?

At present, the President has the power to dismiss any member of his Cabinet; while the Vice-President, however, can only be removed by his Impeachment

The absence of the Vice-President has caused the wheels of the Senate to slow as it is. Imagine how ineffective government would be had he the responsibility for Defense, State and Treasury affairs too

'Hawk'
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2006, 08:41:11 AM »

As you know, our current Vice President, Q, has been absent almost two months and while his removal from office is imminent, what in the blue-hell are we supposed to do were the Senator's amendment to pass the Senate and, subsequently, ratified by the Regions, if similar circumstances were to happen again?

Article VIII, Section 2, Clause 5 gives the Senate the power to amend anything regarding the Cabinet through the normal legislative process; regional approval would not be required.

"The Senate shall have appropriate power via legislation to repeal or amend anything in this Section."
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2006, 09:16:58 AM »

As you know, our current Vice President, Q, has been absent almost two months and while his removal from office is imminent, what in the blue-hell are we supposed to do were the Senator's amendment to pass the Senate and, subsequently, ratified by the Regions, if similar circumstances were to happen again?

Article VIII, Section 2, Clause 5 gives the Senate the power to amend anything regarding the Cabinet through the normal legislative process; regional approval would not be required.

"The Senate shall have appropriate power via legislation to repeal or amend anything in this Section."

I stand corrected Smiley

I've restyled it the Cabinet Restructuring Bill to reflect the above clause. If an act of legislation is all that is required, so be it. I'd automatically assumed that being part of the Constitution that an amendment would be required and wasn't aware that there were exceptions to the rule

Senators please ignore any reference to an amendment in my previous statement but my concerns re-the actual proposed restructuring stand

My humble apologies for any confusion caused

'Hawk'
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2006, 09:31:38 AM »

Of course, now I know that this Bill is not an Amendment I'm not sure even if I can allow it yet

As PPT, I've determined (as per Article 3, Section 2, Clause 2 of OSPR) that this legislation pertains to forum affairs, which can be introduced pursuant to Article 7, Section 1 of the OSPR, which reads:

Only the PPT and the President of the Senate, acting in unison publicly on the Senate floor, can override ... specific provisions ... in this Procedural Resolution

Unfortunately, we don't have a functioning President of the Senate and won't have for a few days hence. Yet again Senate effectiveness and efficiency has been impeded

Therefore, I withdraw this Bill

'Hawk'
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2006, 11:11:57 AM »

What in the blue-hell are we supposed to do were the Senator's amendment to pass the Senate and, subsequently, ratified by the Regions, if similar circumstances were to happen again?

The absence of the Vice-President has caused the wheels of the Senate to slow as it is. Imagine how ineffective government would be had he the responsibility for Defense, State and Treasury affairs too.

I imagine things would run as they have over the past few months. Neither our Secretary of Defense nor our Secretary of Treasury have been active at all recently, to no detriment to the game at all. In all reality, neither of these three departments have responsibilities that are necessary for the game to run smoothly. State and Defense respond to overseas concerns, and take actions which are then reported back to them by the GM. Without an active GM, there really isn't much for them to do. Treasury responds to financial concerns, making adjustments to monetary policy, and then waits to hear back from the GM on the results of his policies. None of the three provide any direct impact on the game.

And, once we have the membership again for these positions, and an active GM, I'd be very supportive of bringing them back because they can be fun positions to hold. They're just superfluous right now.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2006, 11:40:07 AM »

Since this Bill has been withdrawn, I'm locking this thread. As soon as Atlasia has a new functioning Vice President in office, I shall seek that we bump this up the legislative agenda and into the first available debate slot since it is forum affairs legislation

I am reassured by the Senator that this is not intended to be a permanent measure, if passed, and agree with him on the need for an active Game Moderator and a higher membership

'Hawk'
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2006, 06:37:52 PM »

Of course, now I know that this Bill is not an Amendment I'm not sure even if I can allow it yet

As PPT, I've determined (as per Article 3, Section 2, Clause 2 of OSPR) that this legislation pertains to forum affairs, which can be introduced pursuant to Article 7, Section 1 of the OSPR, which reads:

Only the PPT and the President of the Senate, acting in unison publicly on the Senate floor, can override ... specific provisions ... in this Procedural Resolution

Unfortunately, we don't have a functioning President of the Senate and won't have for a few days hence. Yet again Senate effectiveness and efficiency has been impeded

Therefore, I withdraw this Bill

'Hawk'

Once again my most profuse apologies Sad. I had originally brought this legislation on the floor of the House on the grounds that I have deemed it forum affairs legislation. However, I have misinterpreted Article 3, Section 2, Clause 2, which reads ... one [slot] shall be available only for legislation that the PPT considers to be related to forum affairs or emergency legislation which can be persuant to Article 7, Section 1 of this resolution

Originally, I had interpreted this to refer to forum affairs, as well as emergency, legislation but it would seem that this is not the case because Article 3, Section 3: Clause 3 reads:

In the case of legislation introduced that is claimed by the PPT to address foreum affairs that has at least one piece of legislation in front of it, senators shall have have seventy-two (72) hours to challenge this action in a public post, and with the concurrence of one-third (1/3) of office holding Senators in the affirmative (excluding the PPT), may override the actions of the PPT

Thus, I interpret this as meaning that should I deem any piece of legislation, forum affairs legislation then I can act solely (i.e. not in unision with the President of the Senate) in allowing it to 'jump the queue' and moving it onto to the floor but it is well within the rights of the Senate to overrule me on this in accordance with the above clause

It is my intention to introduce this on the floor as soon as the appropriate slot becomes free

I've given notice that the Resolution on the Middle East Crisis is to withdrawn at the request of Senator Jake, and this Bill will takes its place

'Hawk'
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies