AFL/CIO says Gephardt is a "done deal" for VP
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:22:55 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  AFL/CIO says Gephardt is a "done deal" for VP
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: AFL/CIO says Gephardt is a "done deal" for VP  (Read 6331 times)
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: June 15, 2004, 02:10:03 PM »
« edited: June 15, 2004, 02:16:16 PM by supersoulty »

The supposed advantages of Free trade can not be condensed into a attention grabbing soundbite, not in the way "Outsourcing jobs" or "sending jobs to China" can. Yes, its nice Honda and Toyota builds cars in the US, but that was more due to the 10 year weak dollar policy from 85-95 that caused the dollar to drop more than 50% against the Yen in that period, the profits still go to the Japanese companies.

So wait... these American workers don't get paid then?  Your making it sound like there is no benefit to the United States.  Because these companies are here, Americans have jobs.  It's a two way system.  If we set up trade barriers, it wouldn't prevent companies from leaveing, unless we set them so high that it totally chokes off the American economy, but I'm sure that you would be perfectly happy with tent cities in Central Park and people sleeping in churches in Tennessee as long as a couple of jobs came back to Ohio (thats assuming the companies wouldn't just go under).  Anyway, I majorly digressed.

Setting up medium trade barriers is not going to keep companies from leaving the U.S., because, the cost of labor and export will still be cheaper in India and China.  It will prevent foriegn comapnies from coming into America.  the end result will become and even greater loss of American jobs.  Face it, we live in a global economy, whether you like it or not, so leave the 19th century and join us.

P.S.  This isn't to mention the effects of a trade war on the economy, or the fact that not all these jobs are going to outsourcing, a number of them are being taken by machines.
Nation
of_thisnation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #51 on: June 15, 2004, 02:36:55 PM »

You talk about the Democrats losing young votes if Gephardt is the nominee -- you got that right. If it's Kerry/Gephardt (who I dislike a LOT), I'm voting Nader.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #52 on: June 15, 2004, 02:38:59 PM »

You talk about the Democrats losing young votes if Gephardt is the nominee -- you got that right. If it's Kerry/Gephardt (who I dislike a LOT), I'm voting Nader.

1. Another Nader-voting "centrist"

2. Will you be in NY or MD when you vote for Ralph?
Nation
of_thisnation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #53 on: June 15, 2004, 02:44:55 PM »

Call it a protest vote, and shove it your ass Miami. Maybe I'll vote Libertarian or Prohibition, just for the hell of it. Neither MD or NY are going to be competitve in November anyway. I'll be casting an absentee ballot for MD, at least for my first year.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #54 on: June 15, 2004, 02:45:36 PM »

Is the prohibition party on the ballot?
Nation
of_thisnation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #55 on: June 15, 2004, 02:46:40 PM »

They probably get on the ballot in Utah, or some state like that. Earl Driver got only a couple thousand votes in 2000, if my memory serves me.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #56 on: June 15, 2004, 02:49:26 PM »

Is the prohibition party on the ballot?

The Federalists are still on the ballot in some places.  Smiley
Mort from NewYawk
MortfromNewYawk

« Reply #57 on: June 15, 2004, 02:55:39 PM »

Call it a protest vote, and shove it your ass Miami.

Now, now Nation. No need to get nasty.

We understand that if Kerry chooses Gephardt it shows that he's just another politician who will sell out real change for the sake of getting elected.

If Gephardt is chosen, I hope Howard Dean will come out and speak the truth like you.
Nation
of_thisnation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #58 on: June 15, 2004, 06:18:39 PM »

Call it a protest vote, and shove it your ass Miami.

Now, now Nation. No need to get nasty.

We understand that if Kerry chooses Gephardt it shows that he's just another politician who will sell out real change for the sake of getting elected.

If Gephardt is chosen, I hope Howard Dean will come out and speak the truth like you.

I'm going to assume that's sarcasam, but Gephardt is a tired old politician who can't win anything above a congressional race. Someone else pointed out what good his labor connections did for him in Iowa this year.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #59 on: June 15, 2004, 06:23:06 PM »

Those labor connections got him Iowa in the 88 primary and exist throughout the country.  They weren't enough to give him the victory, it's that simple.    They are still an asset.

There are a lot of reasons why he lost Iowa so badly.  Poor strategy, many candidates, etc.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #60 on: June 15, 2004, 06:24:09 PM »

I have nothing against Gephardt.  I think he is a nice guy, personaly, I approve of him.  Personally, I think that if the Dems are attemping a Mid-west strategy then he is their best bet, but there are some draw backs to consider.

1) Protectionism will not sell in New Hampshire, Oregon or New Mexico.  Correct me if I am wrong, but those are mostly free-trade states.

2) Protectionism never wins.  The only protectionist who was able to carry the election in since FDR was Truman.  Since then, the U.S. has never elected a true protectionist (Carter wasn't that big of one).  

3) Gephardt probably won't carry Missouri for the ticket.  Most of Missouri is not like St. Louis.

4) Gephardt's support for the war will turn-off a lot of the Deaniacs.

P.S. Dean and Gephardt hate each other.

I'll have to agree with you on this super.  It's funny coming from you because you're in a part of PA Gephardt may actually swing.  Other than old factory workers here in say NE Philly or Bristol, he won't do anything and in fact hurt.  The Center City liberals would not go for him, but I do think they would go for Edwards.  He has the charisma to sway the Philly burbs and CC liberals while he can switch it up out in Pittsburgh and talk about protectionism and still hold credibility.  

I should probably add New Jersey to that list as well.  New Jersey is not a big protectionist state (unless I am very mistaken, but the economy there is changing, indeed, thriving in many parts) and New Jersey seems to have mysteriously become at least a nominal swing state (which still leans Kerry).  But with Gephardt on the ticket, they run the risk of making the campaign look way too protectionist, which is frought with major hazards in the states that I mentioned and states like Ohio and Tennessee (where large numbers of people are employed by foriegn companies).  If they go with Gephardt, they should just allow that in itself to be a statement and not work too hard to press the issue.

You're right Gephardt would be a very bad idea for New Jersey, the Philly burbs, Delaware, or Connecticut.    From my local perpective, he would help NE Philly and maybe older industiral suburbs like Norristown or Bristol, but hurt elsewhere and enough to turn PA or even NJ.

Gephardt would be disasterous in the philly burbs...absolutely disasterous...they're libertarian and you put a populist on the ticket.

Damn...its enough to give me second thoughts.

Gep's a dud...

Kerry would be a fool to tap him for VP.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #61 on: June 15, 2004, 10:17:16 PM »

Gephardt is not at all well liked in Missouri outside his congressional district.  In fact his congressional district itself is not well liked by the rest of Missouri!

But that one CD can win Kerry the state if he gets good turnout there and does about what Gore did in the other areas.

I doubt it, unless there were truely massive turnout, because Gore already got lots of surplus votes in that CD.  Its a heavily Democrat CD.
khirkhib

« Reply #62 on: June 17, 2004, 07:44:23 PM »
« Edited: June 18, 2004, 11:55:33 AM by khirkhib »

No Question about it, this is the map they are thinking for the Gephardt Strategy.  Put Missouri into Play and they have a safety net for Ohio, Florida and New Mexico.
Kerry 270
Bush 268

Question is can Gephardt win Missouri
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #63 on: June 18, 2004, 01:49:59 AM »

No Question about it, this is the map they are thinking teh Gephardt Strategy
Kerry 270