Sitting politicians running for President
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 12:49:35 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election Campaign
  Sitting politicians running for President
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Sitting politicians running for President  (Read 2346 times)
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 15, 2004, 03:23:54 PM »
« edited: June 15, 2004, 03:24:34 PM by MODU »

The question is:  Do sitting politicians have to give up their elected seats if they decide to run for another office (like President)?

This question has come up here in the office following Gov. Mitt Romney's request for John Kerry to give up his Senate seat since he has missed most of the votes over the last two years while he has been campaigning for President.  

He (or anyone) is elected by their state to go to DC and represent their needs and ideals.  In order to do this, they need to be present for votes.  So far, according to Lt. Gov. Kerry Healey, Kerry has missed 87% of the roll call votes this year alone.  If I missed 87% of my duties here in the office, I would have been sitting on the curb with a cardboard box in hand by now.  How is it that he, who is still being paid, can miss so many votes (a few which he claimed he would attend) and still hold his position?  Shouldn't they give up their seats in order to run for President?  Or don't the states have any power to remove a non-performing  Congressman?

Anyone with in, please respond.  I did a quick Google search, and all I found were just articles of people stating they were giving up their seats to run for another position, but no regulations or guidelines regarding procedure.

-----------------

Sorry, forgot to post the link to the article:
http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/articles/2004/06/15/romney_administration_calls_for_kerry_to_resign?mode=PF
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2004, 08:45:43 AM »

I guess no one else was lucky in the search either.  Thanks for your help anyway.  Smiley  I'm sure this will probably come up next year following the elections.
zachman

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2004, 09:13:16 AM »

I think changes in the legislative branch should only happen in November. I'm against special elections in Congress, and think necessary replacements should have their election on election day in November.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2004, 09:30:51 AM »

Well, I know people can be appointed by the Governor in case a seat is left vacant, and that replacement finishes out the remaining of the original term, and then it is open for normal elections.  I just don't agree with the practice that someone can shirk their elected duties in order to run for another public office.  There is just something wrong with that.  

I give Dennis K. a lot of credit for at least going back to DC more often than any of the other Democratic candidates (even those who dropped out) to take part in votes and debates, and then returning to campaigning when he could.
Wakie
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2004, 09:41:12 AM »

By this logic a sitting President would have to resign in order to run for reelection.  A Governor (of oh say, Texas) would have to resign in order to run for President.

If the voters want new representation that is what elections are for.
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2004, 09:49:28 AM »

By this logic a sitting President would have to resign in order to run for reelection.  A Governor (of oh say, Texas) would have to resign in order to run for President.

If the voters want new representation that is what elections are for.

Don't make partisan bitterness out of this.

He is saying that anyone should have to and by the way, it is slightly different with the President.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2004, 10:23:28 AM »

of course Romney wants Kerry to resign. Then he can appoint a Republican to the seat. duh. If Kerry was a Republican he wouldn't be whining.

Whereareas, if Kerry wins the veto-proof Democratic legislature will pass legislation to require a special election to fill his seat. So I'd rather Kerry just keep missing votes, better than having a Republican in there.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2004, 10:26:40 AM »

Different logic.  My argument is for a person pursuing a different office position, not re-election.  

As far as Bush, he did end up resigning his Governors position during his campaign, but not at the start of it.  I would say, however, that they should resign once they announce their candidacy.  Since some don't announce until a few months down the road, that would give them a chance to test the waters to see if they even have a chance.  But definitely, by the time primaries come, that person should not be sitting in office.
zachman

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2004, 10:28:23 AM »

What do you guys think of the concept of vice-senators and vice-congressmen? As for me, I'm against it, but it seems that would be the only solution that all of us could settle to.
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2004, 10:40:15 AM »

Kerry should resign...that way the people of Massachusetts could elect a Democrat in November, as opposed to having to endure two years with a Romney appointee.

they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2004, 10:48:51 AM »

Kerry should resign...that way the people of Massachusetts could elect a Democrat in November, as opposed to having to endure two years with a Romney appointee.

like I said above, the veto-proof Democratic legislature will make sure a special election is held.
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2004, 12:59:12 PM »

like I said above, the veto-proof Democratic legislature will make sure a special election is held.

I heard this months ago, but I wasn't sure what the status was now.  Have they made any progress?
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2004, 01:00:50 AM »

I'm not sure if he would appoint a Republican and he definatley would not appoint a Conservative Republican.  I think chances are if he makes the appointment it will be a liberal Republican (Specter like) or possibly even a Democrat.  Keep in mind Rommey wants to be re-elected.  He's not a Hard Core republican by any stretch of the imagination and if he appoints some Conservative or even middle of the line Republican for Kerry's seat its like shooting himself in the foot when he is up for re-election.  
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies