How Bush Wins An Uncontested Election In 2000 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 08:11:40 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  Past Election What-ifs (US) (Moderator: Dereich)
  How Bush Wins An Uncontested Election In 2000 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: How Bush Wins An Uncontested Election In 2000  (Read 4078 times)
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« on: January 24, 2016, 08:26:58 PM »

Wouldn't Bush/Christine Todd Whitman, with a much better Republican veep debate performance, make more sense and flip the places your map shows? Have Gore pick Bayh so Nader gets another 1% or so.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2016, 08:51:00 PM »
« Edited: January 26, 2016, 08:55:03 PM by Kingpoleon »

Wouldn't Bush/Christine Todd Whitman, with a much better Republican veep debate performance, make more sense and flip the places your map shows? Have Gore pick Bayh so Nader gets another 1% or so.

I hear Whitman's name tossed out a lot in 2000 scenarios.  I know the anecdote about Cheney heading the search committee then Bush picking him but I was thirteen at the time.  Who were the media favorites for Bush's VP?

The media favorites were McCain, Huckabee(a la Clinton/Gore '92), Danforth, and Giuliani. Christine Todd Whitman, Gerald Ford, and Steve Forbes were all considered dark horses for it, either for a new turn with a new century, adding gravitas to the ticket, or rallying the base. Whitman would have crushed whoever Gore picked, and she might have led to butterflies where Bush is in Pennsylvania more and Gore wins Wisconsin, Iowa, and maybe Missouri with Gephardt on the ticket.

Bush might also contest Michigan and Ohio more with Whitman on the ticket.

No Social Security gaffe/DUI announcement:

300: R
213: D
25: UNCALLED
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies