How Bush Wins An Uncontested Election In 2000 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 06:02:42 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  Past Election What-ifs (US) (Moderator: Dereich)
  How Bush Wins An Uncontested Election In 2000 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: How Bush Wins An Uncontested Election In 2000  (Read 4074 times)
Californiadreaming
United States

« on: January 18, 2016, 06:05:34 PM »

2 - Another factor in last minute defections was "And the next thing you know, they'll be running Social Security like it's some kind of federal program."
Out of curiosity--how many votes do you think that this gaffe and Gore's subsequent exploitation of this gaffe cost Bush in 2000 (in Florida and nationwide)?
Californiadreaming
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2016, 06:07:45 PM »

Quite frankly if people defected after hearing someone had an ancient DUI... somehow I doubt they would have gone Gore.
The issue doesn't appear to have been the DUI itself, though. Rather, the issue appears to have been the fact that Bush was running on a platform of honesty and integrity and yet was unwilling to personally tell the American people about this old DUI of his. Indeed, the media (rather than Bush himself) ended up being the one who told the American people about Bush's old DUI.
Californiadreaming
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2016, 06:13:21 PM »

Quite frankly if people defected after hearing someone had an ancient DUI... somehow I doubt they would have gone Gore.

Rove estimates something like 3 million religious conservatives didn't show up on election day in part due to the DUI.
Frankly, Rove was probably trying to cover his boss's ass with that statement of his.
Californiadreaming
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2016, 09:19:13 PM »

I don't think it made much difference. Polls always tighten up before Election Day.
Actually, this doesn't appear to have been true in 2012.
Californiadreaming
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2016, 08:09:16 PM »

Okay we get it....the DUI not coming out wouldn't have gotten Bush an uncontested victory.

So now the question is what would have? I was thinking maybe the '01 recession starts a bit earlier...
Agreed. Also, having Bush avoid making that Social Security gaffe several days before the 2000 election might do the trick here. Smiley
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies