PA 13
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 10, 2024, 07:38:59 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  PA 13
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 32 33 [34] 35 36 37 38 39 ... 68
Author Topic: PA 13  (Read 329270 times)
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #825 on: December 01, 2004, 03:32:32 PM »

NORTH CATHOLIC ALUMNI FOR SCHWARTZ! Remember that conversation we had yesterday Keystone.   Did you think you were going to guilt trip me into that one if it were the scenario of Schwartz v. Taylor?  Now, I like Taylor, but I also like Schwartz.  In my case ideology comes before sentiment in the voting booth.  Remember that!  Even if Taylor were to run I'd still vote Schwartz and may actually campaign for her because I know the Northeast would be tougher.

N.B.  John Taylor is a popular Republican State Rep in PA-177.  He is also a graduate of my Alma Mater Northeast Catholic Class of 1973.  It is rumored he may run for Congress.

I never thought you'd support Taylor but there would be plenty of Dems with backgrounds similar to yours that would vote for Taylor. He is loved in his district. I went canvassing with him and Brown once and I saw how adored he is. His district is also over 70% Democratic.

He is very personable

Yes. He is a political hero in his district. NE Philly would probably go for him. As I stated earlier, however, I don't know if it would be enough for him to win because of Montco. I'm really paying attention to see if Castor will run.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #826 on: December 01, 2004, 03:37:30 PM »

You are right about his political hero status.  Thing with me is I don't know how pro/anti labor he is.  I think he is more of a populist if I'm not mistaken.  I know he's pro-life.  I think he woudl get more Union endorsements that Brown and would do better in NE Philly, but as for winning it, I'm not so sure.  There are still a lot of liberal sections father up in the Northeast that don't knwo him at all.  In the Lower Northeast portions of PA-13 (Bridesburg, Port Richmond), it would be a virtual landslide though.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #827 on: December 01, 2004, 03:43:49 PM »

You are right about his political hero status.  Thing with me is I don't know how pro/anti labor he is.  I think he is more of a populist if I'm not mistaken.  I know he's pro-life.  I think he woudl get more Union endorsements that Brown and would do better in NE Philly, but as for winning it, I'm not so sure.  There are still a lot of liberal sections father up in the Northeast that don't knwo him at all.  In the Lower Northeast portions of PA-13 (Bridesburg, Port Richmond), it would be a virtual landslide though.

He would win NE Philly. There are liberal sections but they're not that big. Montco liberalism would be the problem for Taylor.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #828 on: December 02, 2004, 02:32:36 AM »

He would win NE Philly. There are liberal sections but they're not that big. Montco liberalism would be the problem for Taylor.

NE Philly largely depends on labor support.  Remember he endorsed Brown, not sitting well with me and I'm sure unions will find out.  Yes, he is loved in the distrct he is currently representing, but it only encompasses a small part of PA 13.  True, he can also play up the North grad thing because a lot of old alumni live in the district farther up in the NE.  Had Taylor not endorsed or canvassed for Brown like you said, I would have simply voted Schwartz and left it at that.  If Taylor were to run, I will devote time for Schwartz on top of Boyle.     
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #829 on: December 02, 2004, 03:16:10 PM »

NE Philly largely depends on labor support.  Remember he endorsed Brown, not sitting well with me and I'm sure unions will find out.  Yes, he is loved in the distrct he is currently representing, but it only encompasses a small part of PA 13.  True, he can also play up the North grad thing because a lot of old alumni live in the district farther up in the NE.  Had Taylor not endorsed or canvassed for Brown like you said, I would have simply voted Schwartz and left it at that.  If Taylor were to run, I will devote time for Schwartz on top of Boyle.     

Well Taylor supported Brown. He thought she was the best candidate for the district and she was. What can I say? What I don't understand is how you will give time to Schwartz just because Taylor endorsed Brown but I don't think you dedicated any of your time to Schwartz this time and she was actually running against Brown. That's where I am very confused.

I honestly don't think the unions were angry with Brown so I don't see how that could hurt Taylor. Remember that this guy is very popular with Democrats in his district and while that might be only a tiny part of PA 13, Democrats from surrounding areas know him, too.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #830 on: December 03, 2004, 05:09:45 AM »

I gave most of my time to Boyle and getting the YDs formed.  I was thinking of volunteering for Schwartz, but I kinda knew Brown was a loser.  Taylor is a different story.  I know he is popular in the NE, you don't have to tell me twice.  I actually like him to a point, but I know how hard Schwartz will have it if he ran.  And yes, I probably will have to move out of my house by 2006 if I were to support Schwartz.  Thanksgiving dinner that year if Taylor were to run in 2006 will probably show mashed potatoes and stuffing plastered on our dining room wall.  Shall be interesting.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #831 on: December 03, 2004, 02:26:00 PM »

Taylor is a different story.  I know he is popular in the NE, you don't have to tell me twice.  I actually like him to a point, but I know how hard Schwartz will have it if he ran. 

Schwartz will have it tough in NE Philly if Taylor ran. She'll be in good shape out in Montco though. It will be a battle over which section of the district can turn out better - NE Philly or Montco.

TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #832 on: December 15, 2004, 03:13:21 PM »

From the Northeast Times

EDITORIAL for December 16, 2004

Oh won’t you stay?

When he held his "final news conference" last week as the congressman for most of Northeast Philly, Joe Hoeffel proved that he is calling it quits way too early.

Mr. Hoeffel is a genuinely nice, pleasant, intelligent man with a good deal of potential to do a good deal more for Northeast Philadelphia, Montgomery County and the entire nation. His imminent successor in the U.S. House of Representatives, Allyson Schwartz, hopefully will do a fantastic job doing the people’s business, but Mr. Hoeffel, at just 54 years old, is too young to abandon his constituents. Mr. Hoeffel squandered the opportunity to go great things on an ill-conceived bid to unseat a Pennsylvania legend, Sen. Arlen Specter, last month.

Mr. Hoeffel likely would have made mincemeat out of Mr. Specter’s foe in the Republican primary, the far-right Pat Toomey, but Mr. Specter squeaked out a primary win and crushed Mr. Hoeffel in the Nov. 2 general election.

Mr. Hoeffel should have stayed put in the House, put in a few more terms as an outspoken advocate for The People, and then run for the Senate. Here’s hoping he will spend the next two years making tons of money as a lawyer in the private sector and then come back refreshed and ready to serve the public in 2007 — as Sen. Rick Santorum’s successor.

Yep, he's running !!!!!!!!
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #833 on: December 15, 2004, 03:28:06 PM »

That's ashame. Their turn to the left is really embarrassing. Anyway, as I stated in the other thread, I can't find where they say that he's actually running.

(It's great to see the PA 13 thread back! Let's try to keep the discussion going...)
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #834 on: December 15, 2004, 03:35:16 PM »

That's ashame. Their turn to the left is really embarrassing. Anyway, as I stated in the other thread, I can't find where they say that he's actually running.

(It's great to see the PA 13 thread back! Let's try to keep the discussion going...)

They still let the salivating righties post their nonsensical letters to the editor.  You should read some of them.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #835 on: December 15, 2004, 03:40:49 PM »

Taylor is a different story.  I know he is popular in the NE, you don't have to tell me twice.  I actually like him to a point, but I know how hard Schwartz will have it if he ran. 

Schwartz will have it tough in NE Philly if Taylor ran. She'll be in good shape out in Montco though. It will be a battle over which section of the district can turn out better - NE Philly or Montco.

I'll have to agree with that statement.  Thing is I don't know where Taylor stands on most issues.  I know he was accused by the "Club" for voting with Rendell on some things and I know he's pro-life.  The Montco portion is much larger than NE Philly.  Granted, Taylor is known outside his district and a lot of North Catholic alums reside in the 13th which should help him.  NE Philly would still be close and Montco would go for Schwartz fairly strong.  Taylor should hold onto the 177th seat.  The GOP would hate him for abandoning it.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #836 on: December 15, 2004, 03:43:05 PM »

They still let the salivating righties post their nonsensical letters to the editor.  You should read some of them.

I do read the letters to the editors and it really is unfortunate that they came up with this. I mean come on..."The advocate for The People." And some of the other stuff they threw in there is just hysterical. "Mr. Hoeffel would have likely made micemeat out of Mr. Specter's foe in the Republican primary." Well...wait a minute. Wasn't Specter supposed to make mincemeat out of Toomey? How'd that go?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #837 on: December 15, 2004, 03:49:20 PM »

I'll have to agree with that statement.  Thing is I don't know where Taylor stands on most issues.  I know he was accused by the "Club" for voting with Rendell on some things and I know he's pro-life.  The Montco portion is much larger than NE Philly.  Granted, Taylor is known outside his district and a lot of North Catholic alums reside in the 13th which should help him.  NE Philly would still be close and Montco would go for Schwartz fairly strong.  Taylor should hold onto the 177th seat.  The GOP would hate him for abandoning it.

Taylor would win the NE by a good amount but as I have stated before, Montco would go for Schwartz and that would be the big problem. I don't think Taylor could win it but he would be one candidate that would make it close. It doesn't seem like that will matter anyway because I don't think Taylor is willing to give up that seat.

Recently there have been some rumors about some asking Katz to run. In a primary, I would likely work against Katz since I'd prefer a conservative candidate but in the General election, I'd work hard to see Katz win. He would be much better than Schwartz.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #838 on: December 16, 2004, 05:11:48 PM »

Some more local stuff for us to discuss...

From today's Daily News  http://www.philly.com/mld/dailynews/10428340.htm

Mike Stack for mayor?

State Sen. Mike Stack is "taking a look at the mayoral field, which seems to be rather wide open," says the Democrat.

Attorney and former mayoral candidate Marty Weinberg, also Stack's finance chair of his Senate re-election campaign, is organizing a $5,000-a-head fund-raiser for Stack inside a suite at the Linc during Sunday's Eagles game.

Former Eagles coach Buddy Ryan will be its special guest.

I have no idea why anyone would believe he has a chance in a Democratic primary for Mayor. I'll post again when I stop laughing.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #839 on: December 16, 2004, 09:29:52 PM »

I just finished reading "The last of Hoeffel" article in the NE Times.

On the front page, there is a picture of Hoeffel with the caption "A good rep   Congressman says bye-bye...for now."

You then turn to the article and can't help but wonder what the dramatic photos of Hoeffel are about. Come on now. Under the photos is the caption that states how this was Hoeffel's "final" press conference and how he stated there is another Senate race in 2006.

My suggestion to the NE Times is that they just announce their endorsement of Hoeffel next week since we know they plan on doing it in early 2006 (if he runs). We have the article that mentions a possible Senate run every other sentence, the ridiculous "Oh, won't you stay?" editorial...Their support for him in 2006, no matter who he challenges in the primary, is too obvious.

Now I know you don't mind this one bit because you're a big Hoeffel supporter. But there might be a battle in the Northeast come 2006. McGinty vs. Hoeffel. The state official who is not only from the Northeast but from your neighborhood (a key area for the Dems in NE Philly) vs. the former Congressman. Interesting scenario. Now everywhere else statewide, I think Hoeffel would do pretty well. McGinty isn't much of a challenge. However, in some areas of the Northeast, it would be a battleground. 

As I stated earlier, I think your area of the city would be the most fun to watch. If McGinty does run and uses the "I'm from the neighborhood and running for U.S. Senate" line, it could hurt Hoeffel. We'll have to see how it plays out.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #840 on: December 17, 2004, 02:07:49 AM »

Funny I haven't lived in Rhawnhurst for very long and I never heard of McGinty.  Sounds like a typical neighborhood Irish name.  I'd still vote Hoeffel because I know him and his positions. 

You really sound upset at the Northeast Times.  I for one think it can sometimes be too far right.  Now that you mention it, I think the Northeast Times is a balanced paper.  Articles from both sides of the fence get their voices heard in there.  I actually brag to out-of-towners in here and elsewhere that the NE Times has some of the best poltical commentary period (even over the Inquirer/DN which I admit is WAY too biased).
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #841 on: December 17, 2004, 02:13:31 PM »

You really sound upset at the Northeast Times.  I for one think it can sometimes be too far right.  Now that you mention it, I think the Northeast Times is a balanced paper.  Articles from both sides of the fence get their voices heard in there.  I actually brag to out-of-towners in here and elsewhere that the NE Times has some of the best poltical commentary period (even over the Inquirer/DN which I admit is WAY too biased).

The NE Times has turned into a joke. I don't know how you could call them too far right. In the endorsement of Schwartz, they criticized Brown because she had "burned bridges" with Mayor Street. Yet in 2003 they endorsed Katz. Wouldn't that be "burning bridges" with Mayor Street, too? What logic is that?
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #842 on: December 17, 2004, 02:22:08 PM »

The NE Times has turned into a joke. I don't know how you could call them too far right. In the endorsement of Schwartz, they criticized Brown because she had "burned bridges" with Mayor Street. Yet in 2003 they endorsed Katz. Wouldn't that be "burning bridges" with Mayor Street, too? What logic is that?

I could EASILY call them far right at times.  Guess who gets a lot of guest opinions?  AL TAUBENBERGER.  For crying out loud the guy's to the right of Santoomey.  Guess who gets the most letters?  I can name them and yes they are in the "salivating far right" category.  Anthony Mattia, Joe Nicoletti, and Ray Dolan have their personal blogs parked there.  I can not name any leftie with such special treatment. 

On the other hand, they allow lefties to post their articles there.  I could easily complain about the News Gleaner being even mor right wing.  Only Tina Tartaglione or Mike Stack get to occassioanlly write in there.  Other than that Charlie Dougherty and Chris Wogan get their marquee treatment in there as well.   
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #843 on: December 17, 2004, 02:32:01 PM »

I could EASILY call them far right at times.  Guess who gets a lot of guest opinions?  AL TAUBENBERGER.  For crying out loud the guy's to the right of Santoomey.  Guess who gets the most letters?  I can name them and yes they are in the "salivating far right" category.  Anthony Mattia, Joe Nicoletti, and Ray Dolan have their personal blogs parked there.  I can not name any leftie with such special treatment. 

On the other hand, they allow lefties to post their articles there.  I could easily complain about the News Gleaner being even mor right wing.  Only Tina Tartaglione or Mike Stack get to occassioanlly write in there.  Other than that Charlie Dougherty and Chris Wogan get their marquee treatment in there as well.   

I just think they're confused. How do you endorse the most conservative candidates in the Republican and Dem primaries for Congress and then endorse the more liberal candidate in November?

As for liberals not getting an opportunity to get letter's in the Times, maybe there isn't enough interest. If there's no liberal interested in writing to the NE Times, who's to blame?

Same thing with the Gleaner. If liberals don't have the interest when it comes to writing letters every week, it's not the paper's fault. I will agree with you, though, that the Gleaner is more conservative.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #844 on: December 17, 2004, 03:27:34 PM »

I tend to think conservatives throughtout the Delaware Valley are also the most bitchy when it comes to writing letters to the editor.  Same goes for the Daily News and Inquirer as well.  They seem like they want to throw fits even when they win. 
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #845 on: December 17, 2004, 03:38:16 PM »
« Edited: December 17, 2004, 03:48:32 PM by Vice President Keystone Phil »

I tend to think conservatives throughtout the Delaware Valley are also the most bitchy when it comes to writing letters to the editor.  Same goes for the Daily News and Inquirer as well.  They seem like they want to throw fits even when they win. 

Look at the bias in these newspapers, BL. That just might be the reason why conservatives write letters, complaining to the editors.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #846 on: December 17, 2004, 04:11:06 PM »

I forget the test, but there are different ideologies along with sub-types.  If I have thie link, I'll post it.  If I recall, these are the types:

Staunch Conservative
Moderate Republican
Populist Republican
Disaffected
Bystanders
New Democrat
Liberal Democrat
Social conservative Democrat
Socialist (bleeding heart)

Most of these letter writers fall in the Staunch Consrvative category.  These are the types that avidly watch Fox News and are generally well-off finanacially.    They are also fiscally and socially conservative and knowledgable on issues.  They make up about 10-12% of the general population and are mostly men.  In Northeast Philly, probably about 5-7%, but they are also the most vocal.  i will have to agree with you on that.

On this test, I got somehwere between Liberal and New Democrat.  Again about 10-12% natioanlly, but only about 8% for each category in NE Philly.  Most NE Philadelphians would probably get Socially Conservative Democrat or Populist Republican.  Usually these types are not very vocal. 

The most vocal are the Staunch Conservatives (you), Moderate Republicans (Andrew/htmldon) and the Liberal/New Dems (me/Nym90).  That's why were here.       
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #847 on: December 17, 2004, 04:47:28 PM »

Most of these letter writers fall in the Staunch Consrvative category.  These are the types that avidly watch Fox News and are generally well-off finanacially.

Of the three letter writers you listed earlier, I know one of them. I won't say who but I just thought I'd let you know that. So I ask that you refrain from insulting them if you had planned on doing so. The reason why I brought up that I knew one of them is because you stated that these staunch conservatives are Fox News viewers and well off financially.

First, I'd like to ask what you mean why "well off" financially? Do you mean well off as in "I own a big house in Northeast Philadelphia with a boat, three cars, a house in the mountains and one at the shore..."  or just making a decent income? The reason why I ask is because the person I know is not some wealthy individual. Just thought I'd say that if that's what you meant by well off.

The other thing I wanted to say is that you placed me in the staunch conservative category. For the record, I am not rich nor am I a Fox News fan. You wouldn't believe the conversations I have with my conservative friends. They love Fox News and I'm the lone conservative that watches CNN. Fox News just isn't for me. But if I took this test and the choices were what you posted, I agree that I'd fit in the staunch conservative area. I would define myself as a common sense, traditional conservative though.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #848 on: December 17, 2004, 06:26:31 PM »

Well I must say if they put their name out there, yes they are open for criticism.  I don't care if he's your neighbor, uncle, or even your own father, yes he is open for it as am I. 

You like CNN?  I would have never guessed that.  Funny I watch Fox at times to laugh at those clowns.  I know not all staunch conservatives are like what you said.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #849 on: December 17, 2004, 07:10:02 PM »

Well I must say if they put their name out there, yes they are open for criticism.  I don't care if he's your neighbor, uncle, or even your own father, yes he is open for it as am I.

All I'm asking is that you don't call them morons, attack their intelligence or start on one of your rants where you attack them personally. We can debate what they say all day. I have no problem with that. 

You must be logged in to read this quote.

My main problem with Fox is that they cover some news stories that would be expected from a local news station. I find that if there is breaking news, CNN and MSNBC are the one's covering it first while Fox is at a commercial or covering another story. I get more news from CNN so whenever I want to watch cable news, CNN goes on first. However, I do enjoy the O'Reilly Factor and Hannity and Colmes so it's not like I totally avoid the channel.
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 32 33 [34] 35 36 37 38 39 ... 68  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies