Democrat with spine leading in Montana
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 15, 2024, 11:57:31 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Democrat with spine leading in Montana
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Democrat with spine leading in Montana  (Read 5047 times)
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 24, 2006, 11:23:26 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.
http://www.dailykos.com/story/2006/9/24/23338/2593
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2006, 12:34:16 AM »

Wow. Jon Tester never ceases to amaze me. Simply put he makes me proud to be a Democrat and proud to be an American.
Jacobtm

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2006, 01:38:34 AM »

God, I will be amazed if Burns can't use the "liberal" card to kill Testers candidacy, and even more amazed if he doesn't steal the election somehow.

Tester seems like a good guy.
Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -9.39

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2006, 06:34:43 AM »

Tester rules! His victory, along with Brown's in Ohio, should shatter the myth that liberals can't win in Republican states. The boys over at the DLC can't be too happy right now...
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2006, 11:02:41 AM »

Well, as Democrat, he has my full support even though I'd doubt very much that I'd oppose the Patriot Act

Dave
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2006, 11:22:54 AM »

Well, as Democrat, he has my full support even though I'd doubt very much that I'd oppose the Patriot Act

Dave

No offense Dave but why are you a Democrat exactly? Economic issuses? Family tradition? Just wondering. You don't have to answer if you don't want to.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2006, 11:29:55 AM »

Dave

No offense Dave but why are you a Democrat exactly? Economic issuses? Family tradition? Just wondering. You don't have to answer if you don't want to.

I guess he should answer for himself, but I believe the answers would be yes and yes (economic issues and family tradition, that is)
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2006, 11:46:05 AM »

Dave

Well, I'm not actually American but, being a member of the UK Labour Party, I identify with the Democratic Party more than I ever could the GOP. So, for the most part, it is economic issues. It's part family tradition, too, my family has roots in Georgia - though I suspect my kin were very different Democrats from what I am. This partially explains my general interest in American politics

I'm closer to the GOP on defense and national security; indeed, I'm probably the most 'hawkish' member within the ranks of my local Constituency Labour Party

On 'hot-button' issues, I'm fairly mixed (on some issues, like the death penalty, I'm left and on others, like abortion, I lean right) but these carry little to no saliency in the UK, which is, thankfully, a good thing Smiley

Dazzleman has defined me as a 1940s Democrat , which I'd say is reasonably accurate

Dave
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2006, 11:48:44 AM »

Dave

Well, I'm not actually American but, being a member of the UK Labour Party, I identify with the Democratic Party more than I ever could the GOP. So, for the most part, it is economic issues. It's part family tradition, too, my family has roots in Georgia - though I suspect my kin were very different Democrats from what I am. This partially explains my general interest in American politics

I'm closer to the GOP on defense and national security; indeed, I'm probably the most 'hawkish' member within the ranks of my local Constituency Labour Party

On 'hot-button' issues, I'm fairly mixed (on some issues, like the death penalty, I'm left and on others, like abortion, I lean right) but these carry little to no saliency in the UK, which is, thankfully, a good thing Smiley

Dazzleman has defined me as a 1940s Democrat , which I'd say is reasonably accurate

Dave

Cool. Thanks for the info.
Conan
conan

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2006, 02:21:49 PM »

Jon Tester has been saying what everyone should have always been saying. He has got to be the best candidate this cycle. He will be the coolest person in the Senate.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2006, 02:54:23 PM »

Jon Tester has been saying what everyone should have always been saying. He has got to be the best candidate this cycle. He will be the coolest person in the Senate.

To be nonpartisan, Harold Ford Jr. and Michael Steele are definetly better challengers, when you can't fire back on Conrad Burn's mouth, you are a bad challenger.
poughies
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2006, 03:02:18 PM »

I believe that Ford has been the best challenger because unlike Menendez (corruption charges within the state and beyond), Burns (corruption and foot-in-mouth), Santorum (do i have to list?)..... Ford has made his charge on the back of great campaigning and great commercials. As well as a great personality. THAT SAID, Tester is stronger than I ever thought he would be. His buzz cut ad was great, and he has kicked butt in the debates. But without Burns with the courrption and foot-in-mouth, I'm not sure Tester would be ahead.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2006, 03:02:24 PM »

Tester is one interesting individual. He certainly won't be one of my favorites but good for him for standing up and saying what is on his mind in a state that many wouldn't even dare to do the same. He is an impressive guy.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2006, 03:34:34 PM »

I'm not sure if the Patriot Act comment would really hurt him anyway. Montana seems to be a libertarian state overall; they probably aren't exactly crazy about the Patriot Act.

Economic liberalism would scare Montana a lot more than social liberalism would, I'd think.
Virginian87
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: -3.55, S: 2.70

« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2006, 03:38:43 PM »

As am I. 

Why the use of the "spine" reference, jfern?  Are you inferring that most moderate Democrats have none? 
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2006, 04:27:23 PM »

As am I. 

Why the use of the "spine" reference, jfern?  Are you inferring that most moderate Democrats have none? 

That would be the logical conclusion
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -4.52

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2006, 04:33:30 PM »

Despite being a more "moderate" Democrat, this remark has increased my respect for Tester tenfold. I hope he kicks Burns's ass on November 7 Smiley
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2006, 05:03:24 PM »

I'm not sure if the Patriot Act comment would really hurt him anyway. Montana seems to be a libertarian state overall; they probably aren't exactly crazy about the Patriot Act.

Economic liberalism would scare Montana a lot more than social liberalism would, I'd think.

Ironically Montana has one of the most progressive tax rates of any state(it's still regressive, though).

As am I. 

It depends on what you mean by moderate. Some moderate Democrats have a spine, like Paul Hackett.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2006, 05:10:36 PM »

Ironically Montana has one of the most progressive tax rates of any state(it's still regressive, though).

That might be because people who move into the state are probably far more wealthy overall than those who were born and raised there.

But in any event, I would imagine the Patriot Act is unpopular there; Montana seems to be pretty anti-federal government and terrorism is probably less of an issue there than in pretty much any other state given how unlikely it is that a major attack will hit there.

And Montana is not as hostile to Democrats as one might think; they've reelected Max Baucus many times, elected Brian Schweitzer as Governor, and the state voted for Clinton in 1992 and nearly did again in 1996. It's certainly a lot more Democratic than any of its neighbors.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2006, 05:14:41 PM »
« Edited: September 25, 2006, 05:17:13 PM by jfern »

It's certainly a lot more Democratic than any of its neighbors.

Hey, now, North Dakota has had an all Democratic delegation for 20 years.
Interesting fact, while Conrad had previously had the other Senate seat, both ND Senators were sworn in to their current Senate seat on December 5th, 1992.
Governor PiT
Robert Stark
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -0.87

« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2006, 06:06:52 PM »

Tester's Stances:
http://www.ontheissues.org/Senate/Jon_Tester.htm
poughies
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2006, 06:17:01 PM »

anyone notice that this year more than any in recent history, populist is being applied more and more often to what we would otherwise call liberal candidates..... seems to be working well for Tester, but even more so for Brown.
Virginian87
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: -3.55, S: 2.70

« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2006, 07:39:56 PM »

It's certainly a lot more Democratic than any of its neighbors.

Hey, now, North Dakota has had an all Democratic delegation for 20 years.
Interesting fact, while Conrad had previously had the other Senate seat, both ND Senators were sworn in to their current Senate seat on December 5th, 1992.

I think he was referring to Idaho or Wyoming.
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2006, 07:51:47 PM »

Repealing all of the Patriot Act is definitely not a good idea.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2006, 07:53:39 PM »

Repealing all of the Patriot Act is definitely not a good idea.

Repealing most is still a terrible idea, and some still isn't a great one
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies