Counties with the longest streak of voting for one party for President
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 12:49:41 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Counties with the longest streak of voting for one party for President
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Author Topic: Counties with the longest streak of voting for one party for President  (Read 35417 times)
vote for pedro
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.45, S: 0.43

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: December 30, 2016, 02:12:58 AM »

Thank you for this!

Illinois

D: Cook, St. Clair (since 1972)
R: Edwards, Lee, Ogle (I in 1912, never D in the history of the Atlas which goes back to 1892)

Interesting, Edwards County last voted D in 1832, Lee County in 1852.  Ogle County has never once voted for a Democrat for President.  geoelections.free.fr/USA/elec_comtes/1852.htm

All 3 counties voted for Teddy Roosevelt in 1912 like you mentioned, but otherwise have all voted Republican since 1856.  Even though they are 300 miles apart!

GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

« Reply #76 on: December 30, 2016, 04:19:36 AM »

Thank you for this!

Illinois

R: Edwards, Lee, Ogle (I in 1912, never D in the history of the Atlas which goes back to 1892)

Interesting, Edwards County last voted D in 1832, Lee County in 1852.  Ogle County has never once voted for a Democrat for President.  geoelections.free.fr/USA/elec_comtes/1852.htm

All 3 counties voted for Teddy Roosevelt in 1912 like you mentioned, but otherwise have all voted Republican since 1856.  Even though they are 300 miles apart!

What's interesting about Edwards county is that it's in southern Illinois, for a long time a Democratic stronghold, so it is starkly contrasted with the Democratic counties surrounding it on many election maps.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #77 on: December 30, 2016, 10:11:39 AM »

Thank you for this!

Illinois

What's interesting about Edwards county is that it's in southern Illinois, for a long time a Democratic stronghold, so it is starkly contrasted with the Democratic counties surrounding it on many election maps.

I really don't know much about this, but I remember reading that - while Democrats certainly held most of the power in Southern Illinois - it depended on the geography.  Contrary to popular belief, the southern third of Illinois is pretty different from Northern and Central Illinois, and it isn't just a bunch of cornfields.  There were coal mines there, several areas of swampland and the Shawnee National Forest; it's actually quite beautiful.  Anyway, I remember reading one time that the areas with good farming tended to be more Republican in the traditionally conservative Midwestern mold and the areas with less corn tended to be more Southernized and Democratic ... not sure how I could back that up, though, too lazy to look at the maps. Tongue
GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

« Reply #78 on: December 30, 2016, 04:23:59 PM »

Thank you for this!

Illinois

I really don't know much about this, but I remember reading that - while Democrats certainly held most of the power in Southern Illinois - it depended on the geography.  Contrary to popular belief, the southern third of Illinois is pretty different from Northern and Central Illinois, and it isn't just a bunch of cornfields.  There were coal mines there, several areas of swampland and the Shawnee National Forest; it's actually quite beautiful.  Anyway, I remember reading one time that the areas with good farming tended to be more Republican in the traditionally conservative Midwestern mold and the areas with less corn tended to be more Southernized and Democratic ... not sure how I could back that up, though, too lazy to look at the maps. Tongue
Well, if we're discussing maps, I was thinking of this map (or any map up to and including 1892 for that matter) where Edwards county is entirely surrounded by Democratic counties. It seems that while there were always Republican areas in southern Illinois, the southeast was particularly strongly democratic, except for Edwards.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #79 on: December 30, 2016, 09:43:45 PM »

Interesting how there are far fewer Dem streaks than Rep streaks as the latter has many rural counties outside the South. Here are the longest Dem streaks:

Brooks, TX (Since 1908, i.e. every time since the county was founded in 1911)

Northampton, NC (Never R in Atlas history which dates to 1924)

Costilla, CO; Suffolk, MA; Ramsey, MN; St. Louis City, MO; Deer Lodge, MT; Bronx, NY; Kings, NY; New York, NY (since 1924)

Duval, TX, Jim Hogg, TX, Maverick, TX, Starr, TX, Webb, TX, Zapata, TX (never R in consecutive Atlas history which dates to 1940, though Webb and Zapata voted R in 1912)

All are Northern urban or majority-minority except for Deer Lodge, MT.
GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

« Reply #80 on: December 31, 2016, 03:30:41 AM »

Interesting how there are far fewer Dem streaks than Rep streaks as the latter has many rural counties outside the South. Here are the longest Dem streaks:

Brooks, TX (Since 1908, i.e. every time since the county was founded in 1911)

Northampton, NC (Never R in Atlas history which dates to 1924)

Costilla, CO; Suffolk, MA; Ramsey, MN; St. Louis City, MO; Deer Lodge, MT; Bronx, NY; Kings, NY; New York, NY (since 1924)

Duval, TX, Jim Hogg, TX, Maverick, TX, Starr, TX, Webb, TX, Zapata, TX (never R in consecutive Atlas history which dates to 1940, though Webb and Zapata voted R in 1912)

All are Northern urban or majority-minority except for Deer Lodge, MT.
Starr started its streak in 1896 (currently the longest Democratic streak), Northampton in 1900, Duval in 1904, Webb and Jim Hogg in 1916 (the latter was only founded in 1913) and Zapata in 1924. Here is the full list and you can also check the maps for each year.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies