Poland may face early elections
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 07:24:12 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Poland may face early elections  (Read 6844 times)
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 18, 2007, 02:49:57 PM »

www.newsdaily.com/TopNews/UPI-1-20070718-13332300-bc-poland-elections.xml

WARSAW, Poland, July 18 (UPI) -- Poland's prime minister said political disagreements between the parties in his ruling coalition may lead to early elections, Polish radio reported Wednesday.

Prime Minister Jaroslaw Kaczynski told reporters in Warsaw he could be forced to call early elections in November if tensions among coalition parties keep on undermining the work of his government.

Kaczynski said his leading Law and Justice party is to debate the election issue at its special meeting, since he is reluctant to lead the government under pressure from other coalition parties.

He offered no further details about the tensions, Polish Radio said.

Tensions between the coalition parties recently reached a climax when Kaczynski fired Deputy Prime Minister Andrzej Lepper over a corruption scandal. Lepper was agriculture minister and the leader of the populist Self Defense party.

Copyright 2007 by United Press International. All Rights Reserved.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2007, 02:54:47 PM »

Wow.. good news at last.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2007, 03:52:28 PM »

Every other time someone has posted this its been a false alarm, so I wont be getting my hopes up just yet.
kireev

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2007, 08:55:31 PM »

July poll:

Civic Platform (PO) 31%
Law and Justice Party (PiS) 24%
Left and Democracy (LiD) 13%
Self-Defence of the Polish Republic (SRP) 5%
League of Polish Families (LPR) 3%
Peasant’s Party (PSL) 3%

http://www.angus-reid.com/polls/index.cfm/fuseaction/viewItem/itemID/16528
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2007, 09:29:42 PM »

Good.
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -3.74, S: -6.96

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2007, 01:54:22 AM »

The sooner those twin scumbags are out of power the better. Civic Platform may be conservative too, but of a saner variety, a win for them would be great news. I don't see a difference between Law and Justice and the League of Polish Families. They are the most horrible parties in Europe at the moment.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2007, 11:14:23 AM »

The sooner those twin scumbags are out of power the better. Civic Platform may be conservative too, but of a saner variety, a win for them would be great news. I don't see a difference between Law and Justice and the League of Polish Families. They are the most horrible parties in Europe at the moment.

Well they're not conservative. They're mostly free-market liberals with an admixture of some moderate defectors from the left. I haven't really seen anything that would tell me that they were socially conservative.
merseysider
militant centrist

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2007, 04:23:22 PM »

Hopefully the Polish electorate will get rid of the mixture of crooks and cranks that have been 'governing' for the last few years.

Am I right in thinking that 'Left and Democracy' is the social-democratic former communist party?

Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2007, 04:30:16 PM »

Am I right in thinking that 'Left and Democracy' is the social-democratic former communist party?

Well it's a coalition led by the Democratic Left Alliance that includes about 5 different left and centre-left groups.
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2007, 12:20:13 AM »

Well they're not conservative. They're mostly free-market liberals with an admixture of some moderate defectors from the left. I haven't really seen anything that would tell me that they were socially conservative.

Are you serious!? They are the most socially conservative government in all of Europe, not counting Belarus, which is a freak exception at this point.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2007, 03:20:50 AM »

Are you serious!? They are the most socially conservative government in all of Europe, not counting Belarus, which is a freak exception at this point.

He means Citizen's Platform.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2007, 11:30:36 AM »

I was talking about Civic Platform which you labeled as conservative. League of Polish Families isn't conservative as well, it's an agrarian populist party with a twist of xenophobia.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2007, 12:38:29 PM »

League of Polish Families isn't conservative as well, it's an agrarian populist party with a twist of xenophobia.

No, that would be Self Defense. League of Polish Families are the extreme right lunatics (with a twist of anti-semitism).
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2007, 04:05:11 PM »

I was talking about Civic Platform which you labeled as conservative. League of Polish Families isn't conservative as well, it's an agrarian populist party with a twist of xenophobia.

Civic Platform is center-right, like the CDU (or maybe FDP?) in Germany. They are economic conservatives, not social ones. Civic Platform would be a big improvement over the current government, because they wouldn't be intentionally alienating all of Europe by their sheer stupidity (i.e. Law and Justice).

League of Polish Families is extremely socially conservative, which is what I meant. Their economic agenda is meaningless, they are quasi-fascists who should never be allowed into the Polish government.

No, that would be Self Defense. League of Polish Families are the extreme right lunatics (with a twist of anti-semitism).

What are the differences between the 2? They sound very similar, except that Self Defense is in the current coalition, and has a lot more seats in Parliament, so I'm guessing they aren't as crazy as the League.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2007, 07:10:27 PM »

Civic Platform is center-right, like the CDU (or maybe FDP?) in Germany. They are economic conservatives, not social ones. Civic Platform would be a big improvement over the current government, because they wouldn't be intentionally alienating all of Europe by their sheer stupidity (i.e. Law and Justice).

They're not Christian Democrats, most christian democrats in Poland vote PiS not PO, They have more in common, in my mind, with VVD in the Netherlands or Venestre in Denmark. Centre-right liberals not conservatives.

Ah, thanks for that I always get the two mixed up.

CUBBY: The difference is Self Defence is an agrarian populist party with a xenophobic twist and is mostly focused on rural issues, farmers rights, and social conservatives. League of Polish Families is far-right xenophobic racist party akin to Front National or those neo-Nazi parties in Germany.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2007, 02:26:54 AM »

They're not Christian Democrats, most christian democrats in Poland vote PiS not PO, They have more in common, in my mind, with VVD in the Netherlands or Venestre in Denmark. Centre-right liberals not conservatives.

Ah, thanks for that I always get the two mixed up.

CUBBY: The difference is Self Defence is an agrarian populist party with a xenophobic twist and is mostly focused on rural issues, farmers rights, and social conservatives. League of Polish Families is far-right xenophobic racist party akin to Front National or those neo-Nazi parties in Germany.

Self Defense and LPF merged.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2007, 09:49:23 AM »

Sambroona (Self Defense) pulled out its ministers today:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/6932158.stm
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom