Kean: "Liar" with "No Integrity"
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 01:20:20 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Kean: "Liar" with "No Integrity"
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Kean: "Liar" with "No Integrity"  (Read 1385 times)
Conan
conan

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 04, 2006, 04:27:21 PM »

http://www.nj.com/columns/ledger/moran/index.ssf?/base/columns-0/1159937221298970.xml&coll=1

"   Kean is surprising a lot of people these days by showing a ruthlessness that never surfaced during his years as a legislator in Trenton.

At 38, he still looks like a choir boy. But he knows he can't win this race on the issues. So he's hired a team of consultants and turned his campaign into a snarling machine that would make Karl Rove proud.    "

"  Yes, Janiszewski is a liar with a grudge against Menendez. But Kean needs dirt, and he's not real fussy about the source.   "

"   In his latest broadside, Kean claims that a secretly recorded phone conversation reveals that a close ally of Menendez was "caught" using his name to "shakedown" a government contractor for a job.

Sounds pretty sinister.

But when you listen to this tape, you find no such thing.

"I listened to it several times, and it sounded pretty innocent," says Ed Stier, a respected corruption fighter.

Stier is a political independent who knows what he's talking about. As director of the state's corruption unit in the 1970s, he imprisoned judges, legislators, police chiefs, and even a member of the governor's cabinet.

"I've heard I don't know how many recorded conversations with corrupt people," he says. "And this sure doesn't sound like one."

Granted, the conversation is not a pretty one. Menendez's ally, Donald Scarinci, is heard suggesting to a government contractor that he hire someone as a "favor" to Menendez.

But he emphasizes that it's a suggestion the contractor is free to ignore. "If you can't, then that's okay," Scarinci says.

Is that really the sound of a corrupt machine shaking someone down?   "

"    Kean has taken other cheap shots, too. He says Menendez was a willing soldier in the corrupt machine of Union City Mayor Bill Musto, and that Menendez testified against Musto in court only to save his own neck. Several prosecutors who worked on the case say that's simply not true.   "

"    But Kean hasn't come close to backing up his charges against Menendez. And by basing his campaign on cheap shots, he's raising more doubts about his own integrity than he is about his opponent's.  "

DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2006, 04:29:31 PM »

Are you Bob Menendez's official spin doctor?
Conan
conan

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2006, 04:30:25 PM »

I report facts. You give spin. I am not doing this to help Menendez, just to put a drag on Kean.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2006, 04:33:34 PM »

I report facts. You give spin. I am not doing this to help Menendez, just to put a drag on Kean.

That statement itself is the definition of spin
Conan
conan

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2006, 04:43:44 PM »

That statement itself is the definition of spin
Actually no... I was saying I am not trying to help menendez with anything. I am just reporting things that say something unbeneficial to Kean. My orignial post had nothing but an article in it. Spin is when you take something and twist it and pack it with some lies to make something more profound.
Deano963

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2006, 05:15:15 PM »

" To troll for dirt on Menendez, Kean's campaign has enlisted Chris Lyon, a political hit-man who was last seen fleeing New Hampshire after the attorney general there deemed his tricks too sleazy for the Granite State.

It seems Lyon was spreading rumors that the wife of a gubernatorial candidate in New Hampshire was a member of a cult that worshipped orgasms. That is not a joke. "

You're making your daddy and republicans everywhere proud, Jr.

Conan
conan

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2006, 08:29:52 PM »

Kean has no integrity bump.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2006, 11:53:53 PM »

heh humourus bump.
PrisonerOfHope
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.70, S: -5.50

P
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2006, 12:37:24 AM »

Kean is already dragging himself down to the lowest depths quite effectively on his own, as the article points out, and as a new FDU poll will show tomorrow.  Menendez airing an ad quoting the Star Ledger, the editors of which are definitely not fans, is the best I've seen short of the Santorum voted against body armor ad.  If Kean sticks to the slime and refuses to debate, he is going down quick and hard.  In the end, the Republicans will not only have lost a slim chance at a pick-up, they will have lost a candidate with high name recognition and (undeserved) good will.  If this is the best they can field now, they will have a severely more difficult time with Lautenberg's seat.
Conan
conan

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2006, 02:27:52 PM »

I hope Lautenberg retires so someone new can run.

Kean is already dragging himself down to the lowest depths quite effectively on his own, as the article points out, and as a new FDU poll will show tomorrow.  Menendez airing an ad quoting the Star Ledger, the editors of which are definitely not fans, is the best I've seen short of the Santorum voted against body armor ad.  If Kean sticks to the slime and refuses to debate, he is going down quick and hard.  In the end, the Republicans will not only have lost a slim chance at a pick-up, they will have lost a candidate with high name recognition and (undeserved) good will.  If this is the best they can field now, they will have a severely more difficult time with Lautenberg's seat.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies