Gay Marriage Amendment
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 01:59:56 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election Campaign
  Gay Marriage Amendment
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]
Author Topic: Gay Marriage Amendment  (Read 318242 times)
Alfie
Rookie

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: July 15, 2004, 04:25:31 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Is said demised person's name known?  I just don't buy it.    Johnson was a "big casualty" kind of guy -- the hyper-inflated body counts of Viet Cong, ordered by Westmoreland (or others, not sure) compliments that crude scale by which the Johnson admin measured success: if we killed more VC than they killed Americans, well -- that's good news for domestic consumption.  Besides, who in Texas didn't know LBJ's "deal" already?  

I'm reading Barbara Tuckman's "March of Folly", and I'm approaching that part of her book.  Really excellent and prescient woman,. Without trying to inFLAME anyone who supported the Bush War of Mass Distration, but subsitute "Iraq" for "Vietnam" (at least in policy developpment areas), and the interchangability will perhaps change your opinions on the ultimate outcomes of Iraq.

- Alfie
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #101 on: July 16, 2004, 01:53:46 AM »

Is said demised person's name known?  I just don't buy it.    Johnson was a "big casualty" kind of guy -- the hyper-inflated body counts of Viet Cong, ordered by Westmoreland (or others, not sure) compliments that crude scale by which the Johnson admin measured success: if we killed more VC than they killed Americans, well -- that's good news for domestic consumption.  Besides, who in Texas didn't know LBJ's "deal" already?  

I'm reading Barbara Tuckman's "March of Folly", and I'm approaching that part of her book.  Really excellent and prescient woman,. Without trying to inFLAME anyone who supported the Bush War of Mass Distration, but subsitute "Iraq" for "Vietnam" (at least in policy developpment areas), and the interchangability will perhaps change your opinions on the ultimate outcomes of Iraq.

- Alfie

Alfie

I apologize I can not provide a link. My source is a documentary that appeared on the History Channel called "The Men who killed Kennedy". The Johnson family raised hell about it and demanded it never to be shown again. Why is it that in his later years LBJ was said to have gone crazy? Guilt? We'll never know I guess.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #102 on: July 16, 2004, 09:30:52 PM »

3 ended up voting for it.
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #103 on: July 16, 2004, 09:52:56 PM »

Hey States, what happened to the Anti-Alfie pledge?  Cheesy
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #104 on: July 16, 2004, 11:48:16 PM »

Barry is not often given the credit he deserved.  Mostly because his movement was hijacked.

His "credibility" wasn't enhanced by the most vicious and false political ad in all of American history -- the "Daisy Girl and the Countdown".  The ad was a filthy lie, and though it aired only once, it really hurt Goldwater.

Question: how was Goldwater's movement "hijacked"?  I don't know much about that era -- love to know more.

- Alfie

yes, such a dispicable ad. More proof LBJ was a total creep.

And a criminal......you know what he did.

He says he didn't.  Looks like it's your word against his...

- Alfie

His word is as good as useless. LBJ was guilty of intensifying Vietnam, conspiracy to assasinate a president and murder of political rivals. History backs up all the aforementioned facts.

Vietnam I know.  What's this murder of political rivals"?  Never heard that before.

States believes LBJ was responsible for the Kennedy assassination.

and he's 100% right.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #105 on: July 17, 2004, 02:07:53 AM »

Wow,

BRTD and I agree on something....BiPartisan hate for LBJ. lol
Alfie
Rookie

« Reply #106 on: July 17, 2004, 02:28:07 PM »

The Good Senator writes;

No problem.

You raise the very issue that makes me feel such sadness for LBJ, and that is his life after his presidency.  The man was destroyed by Vietnam.  He very well could have "gone crazy", or mad, or whatever one calls it.  What a burden, but then, what a sin!  But was it a sin of ill intent, or a less evil sin, a sin of making a poor decision?  Same with Nixon.   The great ones!  They never make it "out of Dodge" intact...

- Alfie

??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #107 on: July 17, 2004, 03:53:37 PM »

The Good Senator writes;

No problem.

You raise the very issue that makes me feel such sadness for LBJ, and that is his life after his presidency.  The man was destroyed by Vietnam.  He very well could have "gone crazy", or mad, or whatever one calls it.  What a burden, but then, what a sin!  But was it a sin of ill intent, or a less evil sin, a sin of making a poor decision?  Same with Nixon.   The great ones!  They never make it "out of Dodge" intact...

- Alfie

Very true. Sad to say that if it hadn't been for Watergate, Nixon would be listed as one of the greats, no doubt in my mind about that.
Alfie
Rookie

« Reply #108 on: July 18, 2004, 04:18:49 AM »

The Good Senator writes;

No problem.

- Alfie

Very true. Sad to say that if it hadn't been for Watergate, Nixon would be listed as one of the greats, no doubt in my mind about that.

Um, Message to Senator:  He Still Is.

- Alfie

??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #109 on: July 18, 2004, 06:35:41 AM »

The Good Senator writes;

No problem.

- Alfie

Um, Message to Senator:  He Still Is.

- Alfie

Alfie,

I must say I'm shocked. I'm glad to see you say that! He was Tricky Dick no doubt but by todays standards he'd be a Moderate Conservative. Kind of like Clinton but with a (R).

2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

« Reply #110 on: June 07, 2006, 06:00:36 PM »

*bump*
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #111 on: June 07, 2006, 06:22:55 PM »

Gee, something about this looks kind of familiar.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #112 on: September 09, 2013, 05:13:29 PM »

Bumpity Bump

Is Alfie now a congressman for Texas, I wonder
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #113 on: September 12, 2013, 04:36:51 PM »

my nostalgiavision remains in effect despite how horrible this Old Atlas thread is
Peter the Lefty
Peternerdman
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #114 on: October 23, 2013, 10:42:16 PM »

Holy crap am I glad I wasn't here in 2004.
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #115 on: October 30, 2013, 08:00:32 AM »

It's probably the only way it can happen unless the court makes another ruleing (I think they knew they would promote an unacceptable idea in most states.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #116 on: October 30, 2013, 10:00:35 PM »

Look, I don't understand the big discussion about Gay Marriage. If a church says yes, then let the church marry the gays wanting to get married. If a church says no, then no. It should be up to the individual church and the individual. And i'm saying this as a bible thumping pro-life conservative, god made gays so their not immoral people. We need to stop putting homosexuals into categories, and start expecting them as our equals as they are our equals in the eyes of the god.

If they are our equals, then how come you support churches denying them the right to get married? Or are you one of those "gay civil marriage is 1000% good but churches have the right to not marry them" people?"
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #117 on: November 04, 2013, 05:16:10 PM »

Look, I don't understand the big discussion about Gay Marriage. If a church says yes, then let the church marry the gays wanting to get married. If a church says no, then no. It should be up to the individual church and the individual. And i'm saying this as a bible thumping pro-life conservative, god made gays so their not immoral people. We need to stop putting homosexuals into categories, and start expecting them as our equals as they are our equals in the eyes of the god.

If they are our equals, then how come you support churches denying them the right to get married? Or are you one of those "gay civil marriage is 1000% good but churches have the right to not marry them" people?"
Are you implying that churches don't have the right to decide who can get married within their sacraments/rites/whatever?
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #118 on: July 08, 2015, 12:40:17 AM »

No need for an amendment, we got a court decision.
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #119 on: July 09, 2015, 10:46:52 PM »

Was BRTD a conspiracy theorist in 2004?
WVdemocrat
DimpledChad
United States

« Reply #120 on: July 10, 2015, 02:00:30 PM »

Holy crap am I glad I wasn't here in 2004.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #121 on: July 20, 2015, 12:47:56 PM »

I too would be horrified if I found the atlas when I was 3 years old
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length