Personal Election Day traditions?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:23:04 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Personal Election Day traditions?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Personal Election Day traditions?  (Read 7252 times)
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 06, 2006, 06:18:17 PM »

I don't even know if this is the right board for this thread, but here we are...

Anyone else have any rituals, traditions, or gatherings that they do every Election Day?

For years, on Election Day in an even-numbered year I've had a big party. It looks like I'm not gonna be able to do it again this year, however, though I have since I was a teenager (close to 20 years ago).

Starting in 1994, I developed a tradition of throwing piles of trash into the street as a protest if conservatives do relatively well in the election. I did this in '94, and I've done this several times so far in the 2000s. (I did this even after the state elections in 2003, though it was an odd-numbered year.)

My party usually consists of TV viewing, snacks, fizzy sodas, laughing at conservatives who lose, and (since the mid-'90s) much Internetting.

Hopefully I'll find a place to have a party this year, but it looks like I may have to skip it.

Does anyone else have an Election Day tradition like this? It's more exciting than Winter Solstice, New Year's, Christmas, Fourth of July, or any sporting event.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2006, 09:53:14 PM »

No.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2006, 09:56:22 PM »

Nope, can't say I do.  If it's a big election, I'll sit and watch the results come in, but otherwise I'll just wait until the next day to find out who won what.  It's not usually a biggie.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2006, 10:06:13 PM »

Work the polls and go to a candidate's party. The problem with the parties is the inability to follow the results that closely as they come in. They have TVs set up but you can't really track what was going on. I was originally going to have something set up at my house this year as the results came in with three computers and my big screen TV to follow the returns but now I am swamped with parties. One of the parties is a ward party where I have to turn my precinct's results in. After that I have to rush out to a party that will likely be a victory (my first victory party!). Another event is a potential victory but it is looking like a tossup now.  Smiley
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2006, 10:07:31 PM »

Starting in 1994, I developed a tradition of throwing piles of trash into the street as a protest if conservatives do relatively well in the election.

Conservatives doing well? Ha! Keep buying into that right wing media, Republican.
Citizen James
James42

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -2.78

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2006, 10:15:42 PM »

Um, voting?

That and obsessivly watching the returns.  (though they have meds for that now and I'm getting better... Tongue)
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2006, 10:29:59 PM »

Looking at the election results and acting like a total dweeb ("OH MY GOD PEND OREILLE COUNTY IS REPORTING!").
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2006, 10:31:14 PM »

Well, I work the polls and watch the results, but thats about it.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2006, 10:40:58 PM »

Looking at the election results and acting like a total dweeb ("OH MY GOD PEND OREILLE COUNTY IS REPORTING!").

I love acting like that. Over the years I've been able to act like that in state primaries and I'm not talking just about PA. I couldn't tell you how many random summer nights I'd inform people of a primary going on in Georgia or Ohio or wherever else. Hey, this is my passion - people just have to get over us acting like total political nerds.
Joel the Attention Whore
Joel

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2006, 10:42:46 PM »

I always spend the day monitoring results with students.  I vote as soon as the poll opens and sit down in my office with five televisions on, a cup of coffee, and the internet.  I have my students gather in groups and track the results in all 50 states.  Class ends late on election night.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2006, 10:46:57 PM »

I like to vote in the morning, because the polls close at 8PM in my state, and I can't guarantee that I'll be home in time.

I watch the results at night, but not obsessively.  For many races, I'm content to wait until the next day to hear the outcome.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2006, 10:56:25 PM »

i might be a major league dork, but election day is my favorite day of the year.

on that day im filled with all kinds of anticipation, even if there isnt a major race in my state, i know there are major races elsewhere.

i can remember being filled with nerves on both election day 2000 and 2004.

like many of you, i became obsessed with politics and elections at a very early age.  i can vividly remember my mother picking me up at school on election day, just so i could go in the booth with her.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2006, 11:03:53 PM »

i might be a major league dork, but election day is my favorite day of the year.

on that day im filled with all kinds of anticipation, even if there isnt a major race in my state, i know there are major races elsewhere.

i can remember being filled with nerves on both election day 2000 and 2004.

like many of you, i became obsessed with politics and elections at a very early age.  i can vividly remember my mother picking me up at school on election day, just so i could go in the booth with her.

I used to go into the voting booth with my dad.

I watched him vote for Gerald Ford in 1976.  He flirted with the idea of voting for Carter, but my mom threw a fit, and brought him back to the proper way of voting, at least for then. Cheesy  She had a particular dislike for Jimmy Carter.  She said he was nothing but a hillbilly, that his wife was nothing but a hairdresser, that the whole family was very uncouth, etc.  Her instincts were not always right, but in that case, they sure were.

Other than Carter, her greatest dislike was reserved for ultra-liberal female politicians, generally from New York City.  People like Liz Holtzman, Bella Abzug, etc.  She could rant on about them for hours. Cheesy

I grew up in a political family, in that my grandfather and uncle were both involved in politics.  My mom was pretty interested in politics, though she hated the actual practice of it, and would have nothing to do with things like campaigning, other than going to a few dinners, and even that she complained about bitterly.

I feel pretty much the same way.  I like politics at the strategic level, but I don't think I'd ever run for office.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2006, 12:30:42 AM »

I look at the last polls, make a final prediction of who wins what seats (I got 12 wrong last time...out of 150 Tongue), wait around, make my parents get ALL the how-to-vote cards, read them, read the newspaper analysii (?), then watch the ABC telecast.
Max

« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2006, 01:26:41 AM »

If there are elections in Germany, me and friends meet somewhere, watch tv, drink some beer, dicuss the results and have a little bet competition (you loose 2-3 € at most).
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2006, 10:53:42 AM »

Pace around nervously all day, sit down with food and some good coffee, tune into the BBC and wait for the exit poll. Once the graphics have been presented and the swingometer been rolled out, I channel hop to ITV and to SKY. Last time I hit the internet forums (in particular PoliticalBetting) after 10 to catch up on the rumours until the first results trickle through. I then watch the whole thing to around 3am, before getting some sleep. If it was a knife-edge election I would stay awake of course Smiley
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2006, 05:32:36 PM »

I'm usually pretty nervous all day, and I get pretty obsessed over following the returns. I pretty much always take the day off of work the following day so that I can stay up late watching returns, then pore over them the next day as well. I'll certainly be glued to both the internet and the tv this year.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2006, 05:38:21 PM »

I tend to spend most of the day listening to the radio for news of turnout and weather information.
jerusalemcar5
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -8.35

« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2006, 07:29:23 PM »

In 2004 my friends and I had a party which was fun except for the results Tongue.

In 2000  I watched the TV and ran down to tell my parents which states had been called-I specifically remember Florida being called and my parents being really surprised how early it'd been called and assuming it was going to be an easy Gore victory.

This year I think I'll have the major network's sites open as I constantly check results.  Maybe some TV too.  Maybe a party.  I hope I start a tradition of parties, but my friends aren't too political, so I don't know.
AkSaber
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -8.00

« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2006, 05:17:28 AM »

I watch the news, and check internet news sites too.

Pretty much it.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2006, 06:26:38 AM »

If it's an American election I try to find people who care about it as much as I do to watch it... so 2000 was a bust... but I found Democrats abroad and hung out there for election returns.

For ours, I just sit at home with family and see how predictable yet another election will be.
TomC
TCash101
Junior Chimp

« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2006, 10:02:20 AM »

I usually am standing out at a polling place for a candidate (or two).
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2006, 11:49:39 AM »

If it's an American election I try to find people who care about it as much as I do to watch it... so 2000 was a bust... but I found Democrats abroad and hung out there for election returns.

For ours, I just sit at home with family and see how predictable yet another election will be.

Very early prediction: Libs 74/ALP 66/NAT 12/IND 2

More then likely right, too Cheesy
adam
Captain Vlad
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -5.04

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2006, 01:09:00 PM »

This will be the first election I cast a vote in, but prior to this I used to just stay home and flip between MSNBC  and C-SPAN, watching the returns.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2006, 01:52:31 PM »

Very early prediction: Libs 74/ALP 66/NAT 12/IND 2

More then likely right, too Cheesy

I know from a friend in the NSW Lib Council that polling is not great for them... but it's mostly in seats they don't already hold... I'm told they're anticipating a loss of 5-7 seats.

Lib: 72 ALP: 67 Nat: 13 Ind: 2 ... that could change... but I'm not expecting it to.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies