Gay Marriage Amendment (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 11:37:04 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election Campaign
  Gay Marriage Amendment (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Gay Marriage Amendment  (Read 319177 times)
Alfie
Rookie

« on: June 19, 2004, 12:58:56 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

While no one is surprised by this, the timing was uncertain until now.  This schedule clearly is meant to hurt Kerry at the convention, as a latter vote would be more effective against Senate Dems running for re-election.

The question is: do Senate Dems rally to support Kerry, or defect to save their own butts?

Bonus question: will the number of defecting Republicans be greater or less than the number of defecting Dems?

My prediction: Dems support Kerry, 3 defections from both parties.

Oh, is that still going on?  I thought that went the way of just about everything else Bush talked about during his RIVETING State of the Union.  You remember, don't you?  The mission to Mars?  Yeah, wasn't Bush going to send Zell Miller to Mars or sumpthin?

As to "hurting" anyone, STAND CLEAR! Bush is about to blow his toes off on this one.  America recognizes the motives behind this stink bomb, and I see zero -- absolutely zero -- splattering of Kerry.

Ah, so much for uniting...

- Alfie

Alfie
Rookie

« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2004, 11:38:34 PM »

Hets, from what I see of your posts, have a higher rate of mental illness and mental retardation.

If you wish to get snippy about paying for things, why should I, a person with no kids, pay for the education of the many little nippers that "breeders" plop out with too must regularity?  But I know your "issue" on this subject isn't money: it's hatred and bigotry.

Got 'yo number.  You do know that, right?

Good.

- Alfie

Alfie
Rookie

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2004, 11:55:16 PM »

No, not true.  Dissent, however defined, is a good thing -- at least when it is intelligent and reasonable.  It is when people become blind to their hatred of others that it becomes rather sad and dreary.

I just think that very few Americans share your frothingly radical, bitter view of the world, that's all.  From equality to war, you are on the fringe.  Not my fault.

- igwt
Alfie
Rookie

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2004, 12:08:45 AM »

Shown it correct?  Really?  To who?  You?  Please.  The world long left that dark ages stuff behind.  No, I fear the wrost -- you are on the fringe, on the edge.  But hey -- some people find that exciting.

And?  What's that got to do with the topic?  BTW, the only people afraid of competing are those who know they can not win.  Is that the case here?  I know it isn'twith me -- I say "bring it on!"  Any good capitalist knows competition is the friend of the market place.  

Which views are they?  And please -- spare me the Rush "Dr Feelgood" Limbaugh crap about WWII.  He makes a mockery of all that is decent in America.  Draft dodging Chicken Hawk AND three-time divorcee... thinks he's a closet case?

- Alfie
Alfie
Rookie

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2004, 12:20:17 AM »

I think the latest poll had 51% of Americans rejecting homosexuality in society.  Basically tied with the MoE.  Hardly the fringe though.

Got a documented cite?  And please, don't even try to pass of some lunatic "Family Research Council" crap.
Alfie
Rookie

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2004, 12:24:04 AM »

I think the latest poll had 51% of Americans rejecting homosexuality in society.  Basically tied with the MoE.  Hardly the fringe though.

Got a documented cite?  And please, don't even try to pass of some lunatic "Family Research Council" crap.

Time did a poll on that in 1999.

Great.  Where's the URL?  It don't "count" if you can't prove it.
Alfie
Rookie

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2004, 12:33:56 AM »

Sorry, no cigar.  That's NOT the polling data to which you referred.  You wrote:

"I think the latest poll had 51% of Americans rejecting homosexuality in society.  "

Rejectig homosexuality in society is VERY DIFFERENT than saying one disagrees with Gay marriage.  Consider what you wrote, and reply to that polling question.

- Alfie

38. As you may know, the Episcopal church has given its bishops the option of allowing clergy to bless the committed relationships of gay or lesbian couples. Do you approve or disapprove of this decision?

Disapprove - 60%

39. (ASK IF RESPONDENT HAS A RELIGION) Now thinking about your own religious faith or denomination, would you approve or disapprove of giving local churches the option of blessing committed relationships of gay or lesbian couples?

Disapprove - 63%

40. (ASK IF RESPONDENT HAS A RELIGION AND ATTENDS CHURCH AT LEAST A FEW TIMES A YEAR) If the church you regularly attend decided to allow blessings of gay or lesbian couples, would you (continue to attend that church) or would you (look for another church to attend?)

Look for another 47%
Alfie
Rookie

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2004, 12:38:10 AM »

Jesus, I heard the poll on the news.  I don't have the exact link, I just found a general question that implicates similar sentiments among the American populace.

Sorry.  Hearsay simply is not admissible.  Get on google and FIND IT, or withdraw the comment.  I don't like being this way, but data, folks, is data.

Alfie
Rookie

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2004, 12:41:01 AM »

LOL!!!! Just busting them, that's all!!!

- Alfie
Alfie
Rookie

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2004, 12:52:31 AM »

Jesus, I heard the poll on the news.  I don't have the exact link, I just found a general question that implicates similar sentiments among the American populace.

Sorry.  Hearsay simply is not admissible.  Get on google and FIND IT, or withdraw the comment.  I don't like being this way, but data, folks, is data.

Replace 'rejecting homosexuality in society" or whatever, with what my poll says.  Do in your mind.

Finding a specific poll when all I can do is paraphrase the wording is near impossible.  I might not even know it if I did manage to find it

Fair enough.  But do you see what I'm pointing out?  That America rejects Gay marriage is understandable to me -- it really is.  But the suggestion that somehow we are to be exiled is very different.

- Alfie
Alfie
Rookie

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2004, 03:12:28 AM »

Nor do I think the evangelicals, America's equal to the Taliban, ought to necessarily be shipped to Gitmo when the Dems take power in January.  I know there is some discussion about that on the Left, but for now, I disagree.  Sort of.

Your religious "faith" is a mockery, and an insult to God.  Who do you think you are -- to act as God by being the judge and jury over any group of people?  Who elevated you to that lofty position?  It is a sacrilege, it is arrogant, and it wrong for you to make such outrageous and preposterous claims.  But I will pray for you...

- Alfie

Alfie
Rookie

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2004, 02:21:44 PM »

Barry is not often given the credit he deserved.  Mostly because his movement was hijacked.

His "credibility" wasn't enhanced by the most vicious and false political ad in all of American history -- the "Daisy Girl and the Countdown".  The ad was a filthy lie, and though it aired only once, it really hurt Goldwater.

Question: how was Goldwater's movement "hijacked"?  I don't know much about that era -- love to know more.

- Alfie
Alfie
Rookie

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2004, 07:36:41 AM »

Barry is not often given the credit he deserved.  Mostly because his movement was hijacked.

His "credibility" wasn't enhanced by the most vicious and false political ad in all of American history -- the "Daisy Girl and the Countdown".  The ad was a filthy lie, and though it aired only once, it really hurt Goldwater.

Question: how was Goldwater's movement "hijacked"?  I don't know much about that era -- love to know more.

- Alfie

yes, such a dispicable ad. More proof LBJ was a total creep.

And a criminal......you know what he did.

He says he didn't.  Looks like it's your word against his...

- Alfie
Alfie
Rookie

« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2004, 08:16:00 AM »

- Alfie

yes, such a dispicable ad. More proof LBJ was a total creep.

And a criminal......you know what he did.

He says he didn't.  Looks like it's your word against his...

- Alfie

His word is as good as useless. LBJ was guilty of intensifying Vietnam, conspiracy to assasinate a president and murder of political rivals. History backs up all the aforementioned facts.

Vietnam I know.  What's this murder of political rivals"?  Never heard that before.
Alfie
Rookie

« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2004, 04:25:31 PM »

Is said demised person's name known?  I just don't buy it.    Johnson was a "big casualty" kind of guy -- the hyper-inflated body counts of Viet Cong, ordered by Westmoreland (or others, not sure) compliments that crude scale by which the Johnson admin measured success: if we killed more VC than they killed Americans, well -- that's good news for domestic consumption.  Besides, who in Texas didn't know LBJ's "deal" already?  

I'm reading Barbara Tuckman's "March of Folly", and I'm approaching that part of her book.  Really excellent and prescient woman,. Without trying to inFLAME anyone who supported the Bush War of Mass Distration, but subsitute "Iraq" for "Vietnam" (at least in policy developpment areas), and the interchangability will perhaps change your opinions on the ultimate outcomes of Iraq.

- Alfie
Alfie
Rookie

« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2004, 02:28:07 PM »

The Good Senator writes;

No problem.

You raise the very issue that makes me feel such sadness for LBJ, and that is his life after his presidency.  The man was destroyed by Vietnam.  He very well could have "gone crazy", or mad, or whatever one calls it.  What a burden, but then, what a sin!  But was it a sin of ill intent, or a less evil sin, a sin of making a poor decision?  Same with Nixon.   The great ones!  They never make it "out of Dodge" intact...

- Alfie

Alfie
Rookie

« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2004, 04:18:49 AM »

The Good Senator writes;

No problem.

You raise the very issue that makes me feel such sadness for LBJ, and that is his life after his presidency.  The man was destroyed by Vietnam.  He very well could have "gone crazy", or mad, or whatever one calls it.  What a burden, but then, what a sin!  But was it a sin of ill intent, or a less evil sin, a sin of making a poor decision?  Same with Nixon.   The great ones!  They never make it "out of Dodge" intact...

- Alfie

Very true. Sad to say that if it hadn't been for Watergate, Nixon would be listed as one of the greats, no doubt in my mind about that.

Um, Message to Senator:  He Still Is.

- Alfie

Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies