Smallest county to go for Kerry?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 01:37:21 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Smallest county to go for Kerry?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Smallest county to go for Kerry?  (Read 10030 times)
memphis
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 27, 2007, 09:46:54 AM »

Right now, I'm thinking its Issaquena, MS. Census Bureau says they have less than 2000 people. They also say they've lost 20% of their population since 2000!
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2007, 09:49:05 AM »

San Juan, CO has a population of just 578. That one's going to be hard to beat.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2007, 09:53:49 AM »

Kennedy County - TX.

Kerry won with 85 votes, to Bush's 82.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2007, 10:02:08 AM »

Kennedy County - TX.

Yeah, that must be it. Just 402 people in the whole county. Really makes you wonder how a local government can function with so few people.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2007, 11:59:02 AM »

The smallest county in South Carolina, McCormick went for Kerry, as did the one with the fewest votes cast, Allendale.  If current population trends hold, Allendale will be the smallest county by the 2020 census.  McCormick is gaining slightly while Allendale is losing people.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2007, 05:39:32 PM »
« Edited: July 27, 2007, 05:49:49 PM by memphis »

The county in TN with the fewest votes cast (VanBuran) also went for Kerry. It's also 99.2% white.
Erc
Junior Chimp
Slovenia

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2007, 07:56:27 PM »

Best I can think of off the top of my head is Alpine, CA (less than 700 votes cast)...but Kennedy TX appears to win here by a mile.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2007, 08:05:23 PM »
« Edited: July 27, 2007, 08:22:39 PM by Alcon »

Probably Kalawao County, Hawai'i, although we can't know for sure.
DWPerry
Puerto Rico

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2007, 02:38:30 AM »

Probably Kalawao County, Hawai'i, although we can't know for sure.
There were no votes cast in Kalawao County, Hawai'i (listed as Kalaupapa Settlement) page 173
Certified precinct results can be downloaded here http://www.hawaii.gov/elections/results/2004/general/04genswdetailfinald.pdf
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2007, 03:58:20 AM »
« Edited: July 28, 2007, 04:02:28 AM by Alcon »

Actually, I stand corrected.  We can know for certain; Kalawao County voted for Kerry.

The precinct is listed as casting no votes, but that's because it's a phantom polling place (probably put in there just for technical reasons).  Absentee Mail 30 (13:12) BT030 the mail total that consists the Kalawao County precinct (and serves only the county).   In basic terms, it's all vote-by-mail and the Kalaupapa Settlement precinct listed is probably just a placeholder.

In any case, Kerry defeated Bush, receiving 26 votes to Bush's 14.  So Kalawao County is the answer to this.  Unfortunately, the precinct didn't exist in 2000, and I'm not sure how it was handled back then.

While it is not the smallest county in the United States (despite its huge, continual population loss), it is the one that cast the fewest votes - Loving County cast exactly twice as many.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2007, 06:47:58 PM »

Kennedy County - TX.

Yeah, that must be it. Just 402 people in the whole county. Really makes you wonder how a local government can function with so few people.

Consider all the incorporated rural towns and villages that have 400 or fewer persons. Most of them have local governments that are working fine. In comparison with Kennedy Co, I would expect that the only substantial difference is the extent of the small-population county compared to a town.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2007, 07:28:14 PM »

A minor nit: It's actually spelled Kenedy, even though it's pronounced the same as President Kennedy's name.
Erc
Junior Chimp
Slovenia

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2007, 08:53:31 PM »

While it is not the smallest county in the United States (despite its huge, continual population loss), it is the one that cast the fewest votes - Loving County cast exactly twice as many.

Wait a minute...how could there have been 80 votes in Loving County?  Doesn't the county only have 60-odd people in total?
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2007, 11:29:10 PM »

Kennedy County - TX.

Consider all the incorporated rural towns and villages that have 400 or fewer persons. Most of them have local governments that are working fine. In comparison with Kennedy Co, I would expect that the only substantial difference is the extent of the small-population county compared to a town.

I'm sure they know what they're doing, but it's hard to see how a local gov't could run a school, and road maintenance, and a health department, and a police force, and a driver's license center and a million other things when there are only a few hundred people altogether.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2007, 02:07:33 AM »

Wait a minute...how could there have been 80 votes in Loving County?  Doesn't the county only have 60-odd people in total?

The county has a rich history of warring political family factions.  Those factions tend to register voters who may not so much reside in the county.

At least things are better than in 2000, when an impressive 289% of the county's 18+ population voted.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2007, 03:26:49 AM »

I'm sure they know what they're doing, but it's hard to see how a local gov't could run a school, and road maintenance, and a health department, and a police force, and a driver's license center and a million other things when there are only a few hundred people altogether.

Driver's licenses are usually handled at the State level, not local.  Also in South Carolina at least, road maintenance is largely a State not a local responsibility.  For example, the residential cul-de-sac I live in is officially a State secondary road, so there's no need for local government to handle roads.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2007, 10:07:06 PM »

Driver's licenses are usually handled at the State level, not local.  Also in South Carolina at least, road maintenance is largely a State not a local responsibility.  For example, the residential cul-de-sac I live in is officially a State secondary road, so there's no need for local government to handle roads.

Even if the state is writing the checks, you still need people on the ground to do the work. Although I'll take your word for it, it seems really odd to me that the state of South Carolina takes care of your street. I guess if it works for your state, that's cool.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2007, 03:49:16 AM »

Kennedy County - TX.
Only one 'n' in Kenedy.  It is named after Mifflin Kenedy who was originally a partner in the King Ranch with Richard King.  The two later split the ranch, and the two ranches comprise a large chunk of the county (and adjacent counties).   The county was formed in 1911, partially because of its distance from Brownsville (about 100 miles from the county seat of Sarita to Brownsville), and party to avoid political domination from farmers in the Rio Grande Valley.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2007, 03:58:00 AM »

Because they've been cracking down on vote fraud.  156 voted in 2000.  Residency for censuse purposes isn't necessarily the same as residency for voting purposes, and some people maintain a claim to residency in order to vote in the county, which has some highly-contested local races.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2007, 04:31:19 AM »

Kennedy County - TX.

School districts in Texas are run by school districts.  The school district in Sarita runs an elementary school (K-6) with 83 students in 2005-6.  Middle school and high school are bussed to the next county.

The state maintains US 77.  There aren't any other roads in the county.  If a county is small enough, being county commissioner means you drive the road grader.  If you have a health problem you go to Kingsville, or if severe to Corpus Christi.  With 400 residents you don't have a doctor, so you go to Kingsville for that as well.  Sarita is not incorporated so no need for police.  The sheriff can patrol the the highway.  Driver's licenses are handled by the state.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies