South Dakota Special Election (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 03:05:34 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  South Dakota Special Election (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: South Dakota Special Election  (Read 10892 times)
jravnsbo

« on: January 23, 2004, 11:02:25 PM »

I went to the GOP convention tonight.  Very interesting and exciting.  Rep Tom Osbourne of NE was there to be the key note speaker.

My candidate LArry Russell seems to be ahead on paper of delegates and hopefully he will get the nod.  I will be off working for him tomorrow!

I'll keep you informed.
jravnsbo

« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2004, 04:17:06 PM »

Opebo--

well depends .. I knew people int eh russell campaign and so I could have had a paid position if I wanted it but my other career is flourishing more now, so just decided to volunteer for convention.

Generally you need to go and get involved in some events and volunteer and just get out there and meet some people, local and also statewide f you can go to a convention.  After you make yourself know a bit you can then get hired on with a little experience ina state house race or then a congressional one.  I am also sure that MO will have a big staff for Bush and so maybe you can get in their.  So start by going to events, send letters and resumes to state and federal officials and start by volunteering and then work up to paid.

Just don't have a lot of contacts in MO after Ashcroft left.  Did have a guy on his Senate staff as a friend.
jravnsbo

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2004, 04:21:26 PM »

The convention was exciting!

As expecteded it was a battle of Larry's.  Larry Russell vs Larry Dietrich.

Russell led ont he first ballot by about 5%, then 1 dropped out.

Second and thrird ballots went slightly to Dietrich.  That narrowed the field down to just the two of them.

After some talks and a 4th Ballot, Dietrich won it.  Congratulations to him and a good battle.

The GOP then unified around him and I know we will win it in June and November.  Just have to get the GOP vote out!  Very exciting and feels great to get involved again.
jravnsbo

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2004, 12:18:23 PM »

yes lots of campaigns have hired staff, but also lots of volunteers.  Volunteers have a problem travelling though adn just picking up expenses when they move from home base.

Opebo--

well depends .. I knew people int eh russell campaign and so I could have had a paid position if I wanted it but my other career is flourishing more now, so just decided to volunteer for convention.

Generally you need to go and get involved in some events and volunteer and just get out there and meet some people, local and also statewide f you can go to a convention.  After you make yourself know a bit you can then get hired on with a little experience ina state house race or then a congressional one.  I am also sure that MO will have a big staff for Bush and so maybe you can get in their.  So start by going to events, send letters and resumes to state and federal officials and start by volunteering and then work up to paid.

Just don't have a lot of contacts in MO after Ashcroft left.  Did have a guy on his Senate staff as a friend.

Is it normal to have lots of paid campaign workers in the US? I have only done unpaid volunteer work in the campaign I have participated in, but we were out-spent 10-1, so there was good reason...I felt that unpaid workers were often more dedicated than those who had been hired.
jravnsbo

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2004, 03:56:11 PM »

good blog about SD Politics--

http://southdakotapolitics.blogs.com/

check it out.
jravnsbo

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2004, 03:54:02 PM »

might as well have been a name recognition poll.  Dietrich just became the candidate a couple weeks ago.  He has been busy resigning his state senate seat and getting a campaign together.

Long time t go before june.  Only beginning.
jravnsbo

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2004, 10:39:19 AM »

Herseth is taking 3 million from Emily's list.  HELLO!!

SD House has passed and SD Senate is sexpected to pass a law to OUTLAW abortion and set up a SCT battle to overturn abortion.  The law is very popular and will hiurt Herseth.

Plus unli,ke KY, SD will have its primary on the same day.  So as Long as GOP can turn out its base it should win.  Are Republicans going to vote for Dietrich ont he primary but not the special election, doubtful.

I think Herseth will win this one. She did very well against Janklow who at the time was extremely popular, plus Dems will have a high turnout since they'll be mad that Janklow got off with a slap on the wrist. Plus she's really attractive and should get a large portion of the young male vote. Tongue
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies