right to work laws
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 03:15:11 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  right to work laws
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: right to work laws  (Read 7522 times)
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2004, 09:11:30 PM »

What benefit does a union provide that most modern corporations fail to provide? In the case of my company we are one of the most highly ranked companies in the nation for benefits and I feel we are just as equal to a unionized company. Unions had their day they were good but now they are a drag on the nation.
Bandit3 the Worker
bandit73
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2004, 09:17:53 PM »

What benefit does a union provide that most modern corporations fail to provide?

Safety and decent wages, perhaps?
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2004, 09:26:35 PM »

What benefit does a union provide that most modern corporations fail to provide?

Safety and decent wages, perhaps?

What are we in the 1930s? Ever heard of OSHA or the DoL? And the wages we get are FAIR not bloated. Consistently ranked in the top 100 as best companies to work for, for the past 7 years. You could fart wrong and violate OSHA. Believe me I know how these guys are.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2004, 09:48:11 PM »

You could fart wrong and violate OSHA. Believe me I know how these guys are.

States- How does one fart right?

Cheesy I have no clue. Whats up with the avatar?
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2004, 06:44:30 AM »

the only positive things unions can say is that their membership gets higher wages.

HOWEVER, i believe that the market should set wages.  artifical wage inflation is *bad* for the economy.

wonder who ends up pay those wildly inflated wages...that's right, the consumer.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2004, 07:45:56 AM »

the only positive things unions can say is that their membership gets higher wages.

HOWEVER, i believe that the market should set wages.  artifical wage inflation is *bad* for the economy.

wonder who ends up pay those wildly inflated wages...that's right, the consumer.

Higher wages are understated! Some union members do a 15 dollar a hour job getting paid 25$ a hour! Out of this world! And we wonder why cars cost so much.
migrendel
Italy

« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2004, 09:24:16 AM »

I don't see the point of unions. A properly designed regulatory scheme could solve all the complaints about worker conditions. They would thus be rendered obsolete. And you're absolutely right, Walter Mitty. Collective bargaining prevents the natural adjustment of wage rates. In addition, I cannot support them because I believe they give preference to the wishes of a bureaucracy that benefits from them, not the workers. In fact, I think it maligns the individual desires of workers to fuse them into a collective will, one that shows little discrimination between the variances inherent to any class of wage earners.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #32 on: June 22, 2004, 09:26:52 AM »

I don't see the point of unions. A properly designed regulatory scheme could solve all the complaints about worker conditions. They would thus be rendered obsolete. And you're absolutely right, Walter Mitty. Collective bargaining prevents the natural adjustment of wage rates. In addition, I cannot support them because I believe they give preference to the wishes of a bureaucracy that benefits from them, not the workers. In fact, I think it maligns the individual desires of workers to fuse them into a collective will, one that shows little discrimination between the variances inherent to any class of wage earners.

Migrendel. Why do you dismiss (and pardon me if you didn't know) OSHA which has done a LOT to keep workers safe.
migrendel
Italy

« Reply #33 on: June 22, 2004, 09:43:21 AM »

I simply think that OSHA needs to dramatically expand the amount of workplace protection regulation.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #34 on: June 22, 2004, 09:48:30 AM »

I simply think that OSHA needs to dramatically expand the amount of workplace protection regulation.

I don't know if I'd go that far with it. I have to deal with these guys once a month and they are very tough already. I don't know how they are in the construction industry but in the warehousing industry they are very very tough and will shut a warehouse down if so much as a fire extinguisher is blocked by pallets.
Bandit3 the Worker
bandit73
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #35 on: June 22, 2004, 12:29:28 PM »

HOWEVER, i believe that the market should set wages.

This is the same argument sweatshop owners use when they exploit workers. They're always talking about "market reforms" in "communist" countries like China. Because of these "reforms" most workers there are lucky to earn just a fraction of what the average American who works shorter hours earns.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #36 on: June 22, 2004, 12:57:16 PM »

HOWEVER, i believe that the market should set wages.

This is the same argument sweatshop owners use when they exploit workers. They're always talking about "market reforms" in "communist" countries like China. Because of these "reforms" most workers there are lucky to earn just a fraction of what the average American who works shorter hours earns.

In those countries what they earn is a fair wage. Its not equal to OUR standard of living but of course we have a much higher and better standard of living.
Bandit3 the Worker
bandit73
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #37 on: June 22, 2004, 01:15:02 PM »

In those countries what they earn is a fair wage.

Not when they're beaten and denied water and restroom breaks.

But of course conservatives support this type of exploitation of workers.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #38 on: June 22, 2004, 01:36:59 PM »

In those countries what they earn is a fair wage.

Not when they're beaten and denied water and restroom breaks.

But of course conservatives support this type of exploitation of workers.

I am talking about $ amount per hour. Not conditions.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies