Church under fire endorsement of Bachmann
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 07:23:12 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Church under fire endorsement of Bachmann
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Should this church be stripped of their tax exempt status?
yes

no

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 26

Author Topic: Church under fire endorsement of Bachmann  (Read 2289 times)
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 18, 2006, 09:46:44 PM »

http://www.startribune.com/587/story/749053.html

Yes, absolutely.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2006, 10:00:38 PM »

Hell yeah, but the IRS has a definite double standard in how they treat liberal churches vs. conservative churches.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2006, 10:53:58 PM »

Hell yeah, but the IRS has a definite double standard in how they treat liberal churches vs. conservative churches.

While they should be stripped of tax-exempt status, there is no such double standard. While outright endorsements are rare, clergy frequently lead congregants in a clear direction. This happens on both sides. Black churches are frequently arms of the Democratic Party and I have often heard my rabbi give liberal political sermons.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2006, 11:05:45 PM »

I doubt this will hurt Congresswoman-elect Bachmann's credibility all that much.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2006, 11:07:41 PM »

Yes; churches should not be directly engaged in political activity in terms of endorsing candidates, regardless of their ideology or party affiliation.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2006, 11:44:33 AM »

Yes, but then I think all so-called non-profit organizations should have their tax-exempt status stripped.
Mike in Maryland
Rookie

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2006, 12:04:34 PM »

I doubt this will hurt Congresswoman-elect Bachmann's credibility all that much.

Did I REALLY oversleep today?  Have the elections already been held?

I heard the same thing on the local news radio station last weekend when "Congressman Patrick Murphy" delivered the Democrats' response to the President's radio address.  Murphy isn't a Congressman yet, and he may never be.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2006, 10:18:39 PM »

Did I REALLY oversleep today?  Have the elections already been held?

I heard the same thing on the local news radio station last weekend when "Congressman Patrick Murphy" delivered the Democrats' response to the President's radio address.  Murphy isn't a Congressman yet, and he may never be.

Murphy won't be a member but Bachmann will. There is a reason why I am acting like an asshole with the MN 6 race.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2006, 10:26:57 PM »

Turns out the pastor can't even vote for Bachmann anyway: He lives in the third district and has been registered there since 1994. (which the church is located in as well, although it is close to the sixth).

I'm sure this was just an honest mistake and he wasn't trying to exploit what he believed was a tax law loophole. Oh no. He simply completely forgot about Jim Ramstad who he's been voting for since 1994 and believed he had somehow been moved to the sixth district.
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2006, 11:29:22 PM »
« Edited: October 19, 2006, 11:32:39 PM by Fritz »

Murphy won't be a member but Bachmann will. There is a reason why I am acting like an asshole with the MN 6 race.

Bachman will not win, Wetterling will, asshole.....and what is the reason you're acting like an asshole with th MN-06 race?

I wish I did live in the sixth so I could vote for Wetterling, its the one race in this state I really care about.  (Klobuchar I'm not worried about, and Hatch, eh....)  As it is, I live in the fifth, and I'm not voting for Keith Ellison....I made my decision today to vote for Tammy Lee.

http://www.tammyleeforcongress.com
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2006, 12:15:22 AM »

Bachman will not win, Wetterling will, asshole.....and what is the reason you're acting like an asshole with th MN-06 race?

I wish I did live in the sixth so I could vote for Wetterling, its the one race in this state I really care about.  (Klobuchar I'm not worried about, and Hatch, eh....)  As it is, I live in the fifth, and I'm not voting for Keith Ellison....I made my decision today to vote for Tammy Lee.

http://www.tammyleeforcongress.com

I'd vote for Lee too. I read about Ellison's restraining order deal today in the STrib. He's unfit for Congress.

Hopefully he has a strong primary challenger in 2008 when I will live there, if so I will vote for that challenger.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2006, 02:21:38 AM »

I like how she manages to describe the Republican as "rabid" without coming off as pretentious or even insulting.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2006, 09:49:26 AM »

How is that your business? I really do enjoy when you pop in every once in awhile, act like you know what's going on, attack a few people and then disappear. Since you have accomplished three of those four, time for you to fulfill the last.

By the way, Bachmann wins.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2006, 12:11:56 PM »

I like how she manages to describe the Republican as "rabid" without coming off as pretentious or even insulting.

No one really disagrees with her. She's not attacking him for his views, the guy's hardly an extreme conservative, he's basically a RINO actually. But after Ellison's nomination he gave a speech which was rather racist condemning him and since then has pretty much ran an entirely Islamophobic campaign. And now there's allegations coming out that he beat his girlfriend, while she was pregnant to boot.

Like I said, neither major party candidate is fit for office. Maybe Lee will run in the primary in 2008 as a Democrat (which she really is) or someone else trying to appeal to the 59% of primary voters who didn't vote for Ellison. Whoever does has my vote.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2006, 03:47:35 PM »

Ahh..

While I do not live in the 6th, I will be voting in the 6th, becasue this is where I go to school.  And as much as that annoys Republicans: TOO BAD.

I don't think Bachmann will win.  The democrats in this district hate her so much.  They are incredibly energized to go out and vote for Wetterling.  Also, Wetterling leads the independent vote.  And, if I'm not mistaken, the Republicans only have a 1 point advantage over hte Demos in this district.

So, as much of an orgasm the GOP would have if Bachmann were elected, she won't be.  Have you heard her speak?  She's a whacked out crazy.  The two reasons I have become a solid democrat:  Michelle "I'm really just a crazy whacko right-wing Xtian" Bachmann and Mark "I seem like a nice guy, but if you look me in the eyes you will see the cold anger and hate that just pours out of me" Kennedy.
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2006, 08:00:31 PM »

How is that your business? I really do enjoy when you pop in every once in awhile, act like you know what's going on, attack a few people and then disappear. Since you have accomplished three of those four, time for you to fulfill the last.

By the way, Bachmann wins.

It is my business because you brought it up, in a public forum.  In such a situation, you should expect to be asked reasonable questions.

I will pop in and out of here as I see fit, I do have an active life outside of the internet (not that I really need to explain myself, my life is not YOUR business).

As for who wins MN-06, I guess we shall see.  My money is on Wetterling.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2006, 08:25:37 PM »

Ahh..

While I do not live in the 6th, I will be voting in the 6th, becasue this is where I go to school.  And as much as that annoys Republicans: TOO BAD.

I don't think Bachmann will win.  The democrats in this district hate her so much.  They are incredibly energized to go out and vote for Wetterling.  Also, Wetterling leads the independent vote.  And, if I'm not mistaken, the Republicans only have a 1 point advantage over hte Demos in this district.

So, as much of an orgasm the GOP would have if Bachmann were elected, she won't be.  Have you heard her speak?  She's a whacked out crazy.  The two reasons I have become a solid democrat:  Michelle "I'm really just a crazy whacko right-wing Xtian" Bachmann and Mark "I seem like a nice guy, but if you look me in the eyes you will see the cold anger and hate that just pours out of me" Kennedy.

Where do you go to school? St. Cloud?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2006, 09:26:51 PM »

It is my business because you brought it up, in a public forum. 

FYI - This is a privately run forum.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies