Opinion of Joseph Smith
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 08:12:12 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Opinion of Joseph Smith
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Opinion of Joseph Smith
Freedom Fighter

Horrible Person

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 33

Author Topic: Opinion of Joseph Smith  (Read 4499 times)
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2006, 11:11:08 PM »

Horrible, but I can think of far worse people. It was tragic how he was killed while running for President (!)
Tory

« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2006, 12:17:20 AM »

FF all the way. I really don't understand the hatred and resentment of Mormonism. It's theology is far more compassionate than that of other Christian groups for the most part.

Oh, really?

Woah, you're blowing me away. Have you not heard of the Inquisition? I wouldn't use that in criticism of the modern Roman Catholic Church. Also, Joseph Smith had nothing to do with the Mountain Meadows Massacre, and the evidence isn't conclusive that Brigham Young had anything to do with it either.

Why do you keep defending Mormonism?

Because it's being unfairly attacked by people who either don't understand it or are just intolerant.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

How is it rude or intolerant? That's a ludicrous statement. Is it rude or intolerant for some self help guru to promote their new book? Anyway, it's their personal choice to go on these missions, and they aren't hurting anyone, so who are you to say it's crap?

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I think it's you who haven't met any Mormons, because youre severely stereotyping them. What proof do you have that ALL Mormons follow this party line youre talking about? HARRY REID IS A MORMON. And the ones in the UK and Germany that I've met aren't judgemental at all, and a great deal of them are originally from the United States. Why don't you stop listening to what your friends tell you about the Church and find out the truth for yourself?
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2006, 06:38:53 AM »

FF all the way. I really don't understand the hatred and resentment of Mormonism. It's theology is far more compassionate than that of other Christian groups for the most part.

Oh, really?

Woah, you're blowing me away. Have you not heard of the Inquisition? I wouldn't use that in criticism of the modern Roman Catholic Church. Also, Joseph Smith had nothing to do with the Mountain Meadows Massacre, and the evidence isn't conclusive that Brigham Young had anything to do with it either.

Why do you keep defending Mormonism? Its not like anyone here is defending Oswald Mosley.

One of my biggest problems with Mormons is this whole "mission" crap they do in their 20's. It is rude and intolerant of them to try and steal people from other religions.
I never had you down for a Hindutva Nazi!
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2006, 12:05:22 PM »

FF all the way. I really don't understand the hatred and resentment of Mormonism. It's theology is far more compassionate than that of other Christian groups for the most part. And fundamentalists are at least kicked out of the church and remain on the fringe. Anyone who has been to an LDS service will tell you it's definitely more free-thinking than most other mainstream churches and really could never be considered a cult. Aside from that, theyre some of the nicest and least judgemental people I've ever met.

Well let's see: Baptismal Regeneration; Baptism for the dead; denial of the trinity; denial of the timelessness of God, denial of creation ex nihilo; claims of new special revelation in the book of mormon. Want more?

I don't know what you think that's supposed to mean to me

It's a likely incomplete list of mormon theological errors.
Undisguised Sockpuppet
Straha
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Political Matrix
E: 6.52, S: 2.00

« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2006, 12:48:34 PM »

HP. Mormonism ranks down there with Fundamentalist islam, scientology and the southern baptist convention
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #30 on: December 29, 2006, 04:40:03 PM »

FF all the way. I really don't understand the hatred and resentment of Mormonism. It's theology is far more compassionate than that of other Christian groups for the most part. And fundamentalists are at least kicked out of the church and remain on the fringe. Anyone who has been to an LDS service will tell you it's definitely more free-thinking than most other mainstream churches and really could never be considered a cult. Aside from that, theyre some of the nicest and least judgemental people I've ever met.

Have you heard the story of how Smith translated out of a hat?

I also read once that the suicide rate among Mormon youth is significantly higher than the average.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #31 on: December 29, 2006, 05:13:03 PM »

Still Tory, the fact remains, Joseph Smith claimed the ability to read ancient greek and hebrew, when challenged to do so in front of a court of law he failed to be able to show this "ability", thus proving him a fraud and a liar. My savior, Jesus Christ, preformed his miracles and preached before thousands, and thier is very little questions as to his activities. I don't know about you, but I don't think I'd want to be involved in a faith whos' founder was a proven liar.
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #32 on: December 29, 2006, 05:21:17 PM »

I don't know much about him, but all I have to say is:

Freedom Fighter!
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #33 on: December 29, 2006, 08:33:49 PM »

I don't know much about him, but all I have to say is:

Freedom Fighter!

Oh, yeah, well...

Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -3.74, S: -6.96

« Reply #34 on: December 30, 2006, 01:08:54 AM »

I think it's you who haven't met any Mormons, because youre severely stereotyping them. What proof do you have that ALL Mormons follow this party line youre talking about? HARRY REID IS A MORMON. And the ones in the UK and Germany that I've met aren't judgemental at all, and a great deal of them are originally from the United States. Why don't you stop listening to what your friends tell you about the Church and find out the truth for yourself?

I do know a Mormon or two, and I knew another family when I was younger. So its not like I have no experience with them. Yes they are "nice" people, but that doesn't make any difference. They breed like rabbits and complain about discrimination (hence the move to Utah) then turn around and discriminate themselves now that they have more power.

By "party line" I meant their social beliefs, not political party. Harry Reid and Gordon Smith are good people.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #35 on: December 30, 2006, 03:46:29 AM »

Well let's see: Baptismal Regeneration; Baptism for the dead; denial of the trinity; denial of the timelessness of God, denial of creation ex nihilo; claims of new special revelation in the book of mormon. Want more?

Denial of the Trinity is not a theological error. It's basic common sense. Tongue

minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #36 on: December 30, 2006, 03:52:23 AM »

Oh, really?

Why do you keep defending Mormonism? Its not like anyone here is defending Oswald Mosley.

One of my biggest problems with Mormons is this whole "mission" crap they do in their 20's. It is rude and intolerant of them to try and steal people from other religions.
I never had you down for a Hindutva Nazi!

Let me extrapolate on that...

There are two basic concepts of what religion is really all about.

The one is that religion is about the individual's conscience and personal belief. That's actually the newer standpoint, which wasn't fully spelt out until the enlightenment/reformation era, although it was foreshadowed many times before - in early Christianity, all over Islamic theology, and even before that.

The other one is that religion is the compulsory rituals that a tribe or community has to perform together. If you don't like it, you either do it anyways or are not part of the community.

Only the first concept is compatible with the concepts underlying liberal democracy (although the second one might provide some clues about why organized religion survives in the West today...). The ideas expressed in your post belong squarely to the primitive school.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #37 on: December 30, 2006, 04:37:42 AM »

Denial of the Trinity is not a theological error. It's basic common sense. Tongue

Just because you can't have three centers of consciousness, doesn't mean God can't. Don't try to make God in your image.
Besides, the trinity is evident, both through the Old and New Testament.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #38 on: December 30, 2006, 05:09:10 AM »

Just because you can't have three centers of consciousness, doesn't mean God can't. Don't try to make God in your image.
That is so not what I am doing...
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #39 on: December 30, 2006, 10:43:31 AM »

HP

They had an interesting show on a couple weeks ago--called Masterminds.  I've never seen it before, but that episode talked about a guy forging old documents and blackmailing the Mormon church.  It was fascinanting what this guy could forge, but in the end, he got cocky, went into debt and promised the Mormon's a huge bundle of documents w/ bad church secrets, but it was too much for him to get done by the deadline, so he tried to blow up some church officials--succeeded in 1 and bombed himself in the other-->survived and was tried for murder and a whole bunch of other things.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies