What is the most liberal ethnic group in the U.S.?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 09:56:26 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  What is the most liberal ethnic group in the U.S.?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: What is the most liberal ethnic group in the U.S.?  (Read 11623 times)
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 27, 2006, 08:04:09 PM »

I'd say...

Economic: Blacks, Dominicans, or Puerto Ricans
Social: Jews or Scandinavians
adam
Captain Vlad
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -5.04

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2006, 09:14:02 PM »

I'd say either the Jews or the Asians.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2006, 09:45:35 PM »

"Jew" isn't really an ethnic group in itself...
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2006, 10:46:41 PM »

Ashkenazi Jews then.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2006, 02:07:16 AM »

Obviously the Jew.  The smartest too!  While I am not a Jew, I am gratified that I am frequently mistaken for one.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2006, 02:08:26 AM »

Obviously the Jew.  The smartest too!  While I am not a Jew, I am gratified that I am frequently mistaken for one.

Somehow I don't think that has to do with your intelligence or your political leanings... Tongue
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2006, 02:28:44 AM »

Being Jewish I have some insight into the political views of my people. First, Jews are very not xenophobic. We have lived among so many different groups over the years that we have developed a live and let live attitude that gets extended into acceptance of gay rights and casual drug use. However, we greatly resent the religious right's assumptions that their "values" are the best fit for everybody. Jews are also taught a great sense of obligation to help the less fortunate. The Hebrew word tzedukah, which is usually translated as charity, literally means justice. This obligation extends past the individual and is incumbant upon society as well. Possessing our own slavery story, Jews are particularly sympathetic regarding the African-American experience, often to a fault. Jews are also much more cautious about getting involved in wars, unless absolutely necessary. Most Jews are also not very observant of their religion with rare attendance of services and omnipresent doubters.  Put it all together, and you get overwhelming numbers of Jews voting Democratic. Very Orthodox Jews are an exception, as they like a lot of the anti-gay, anti-abortion stuff that Evangelicals like. These people are a small minority of Jews, though.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2006, 09:45:48 AM »

Being part Scandanavian, I wouldn't say Scandanavians are socially liberal at all. Some maybe, but many are also very traditional and socially conservative. They are much more likely to be economically liberal than socially liberal in my experience.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2006, 09:56:10 AM »

Being Jewish I have some insight into the political views of my people. First, Jews are very not xenophobic. We have lived among so many different groups over the years that we have developed a live and let live attitude that gets extended into acceptance of gay rights and casual drug use. However, we greatly resent the religious right's assumptions that their "values" are the best fit for everybody. Jews are also taught a great sense of obligation to help the less fortunate. The Hebrew word tzedukah, which is usually translated as charity, literally means justice. This obligation extends past the individual and is incumbant upon society as well. Possessing our own slavery story, Jews are particularly sympathetic regarding the African-American experience, often to a fault. Jews are also much more cautious about getting involved in wars, unless absolutely necessary. Most Jews are also not very observant of their religion with rare attendance of services and omnipresent doubters.  Put it all together, and you get overwhelming numbers of Jews voting Democratic. Very Orthodox Jews are an exception, as they like a lot of the anti-gay, anti-abortion stuff that Evangelicals like. These people are a small minority of Jews, though.

I'd say Jewish people are the most sincerely liberal ethnic/religious group in the US.

Blacks vote more strongly Democratic, but not necessarily as liberal.  In many ways, blacks are quite socially conservative in some ways, despite the fact that their general family structure, statistically, is pretty much the antithesis of that advocated by conservative philosophy.

I do find, though, that despite their professed sympathy for blacks, Jews are in practice less likely to live in proximity to blacks than less well-off whites.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2006, 10:09:45 AM »

The hookers take time to notice if you're circumcised?
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2006, 02:07:53 PM »

I do find, though, that despite their professed sympathy for blacks, Jews are in practice less likely to live in proximity to blacks than less well-off whites.

From my experience secular Jews are the most liberal. 

Regarding the proximity: I think you have to make a distinction between secular vs. Religious/Haredi groups.  Many of the Hasids live right in the middle or on the outskirts of the "hood".

dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2006, 02:14:14 PM »

From my experience secular Jews are the most liberal. 

Regarding the proximity: I think you have to make a distinction between secular vs. Religious/Haredi groups.  Many of the Hasids live right in the middle or on the outskirts of the "hood".

The difference between Jews and many other ethnic groups is that they are liberal even when it is apparently against their interests.

From observing and speaking with the Jewish people that I have known, I have concluded that they have been deeply affected by the persecution that their ancestors have suffered, in a way that is difficult for non-Jews to truly understand.

The Irish tend to sweep a lot of their past oppression under the rug, once they become assimilated.  I never heard anything about that from the relatives on the Irish side of my family, except for one great aunt who was the least assimilated of the group.  For the rest, it's as if it never happened.

Similar events, at least in kind (if not degree), but totally different reactions.  Very interesting.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2006, 02:38:13 PM »

Jews methinks. Btw, how do Hasidic Jews in the U.S vote?
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2006, 02:44:44 PM »
« Edited: October 28, 2006, 02:57:07 PM by patrick1 »

Strategically;)   or how the rebbe tells them to. 

The Hasids do vote in massive blocs to who they feel will best serve their interests (like all ethnic groups really but not in the blocks) In New York city they will vote for Dems because they are the only gaem in town.  Statewide they have voted heavily for Schumer and Clinton but they used to vote strongly for Crooked Al D'Amato also. 

For Jewish oting patterns I used to use the adage if you don't wear a hat then your a democrat.  The Hasids are more open to Republican /conservative overtures. 
Huckleberry Finn
Finn

« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2006, 02:45:57 PM »

Being part Scandanavian, I wouldn't say Scandanavians are socially liberal at all. Some maybe, but many are also very traditional and socially conservative. They are much more likely to be economically liberal than socially liberal in my experience.
Yep. This is true. Michigan northern peninsula has huge Finnish-American population (38 % in one county which name I have forgotten) and most counties votes Republicans.

Most Finns who went to America were from Pohjanmaa region which is most religious and conservative area in my country.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2006, 02:50:53 PM »

Stragegically;)   or how the rebbe tells them to. 

The Hasids do vote in massive blocs to who they feel will best serve their interests (like all ethnic groups really but not in the blocks) In New York city they will vote for Dems because they are the only gaem in town.  Statewide they have voted heavily for Schumer and Clinton but they used to vote strongly for Crooked Al D'Amato also. 

For Jewish oting patterns I used to use the adage if you don't wear a hat then your a democrat.  The Hasids are more open to Republican /conservative overtures. 

In recent mayoral elections Hasids o course went all out for Rudy after the massive Dinkin's backlash after Crown Heights riots.  The community has also strongly supported Bloomberg. 
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2006, 05:39:00 PM »

Jews, as well as college-educated middle and upper-middle class white females living along the 'Left Coast'. 
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2006, 05:40:38 PM »

Jews, as well as college-educated middle and upper-middle class white females living along the 'Left Coast'. 

Yeah, those upper middle class whites in Orange county are crazy liberal.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2006, 05:41:57 PM »

Yeah, those upper middle class whites in Orange county are crazy liberal.

And?

There are always exceptions to the rule -in every ethnic group. 
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2006, 05:44:18 PM »

Except "college-educated middle and upper-middle class white females living along the 'Left Coast'." is not an ethnic group.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2006, 05:46:57 PM »

Except "college-educated middle and upper-middle class white females living along the 'Left Coast'." is not an ethnic group.

My mistake -I misunderstood.

Jews then.  They are the only (ethnic) group that is liberal both socially as well as economically. 
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2006, 07:50:14 PM »

Jews tend to live in urban and inner-suburban major metropolitan areas, the same places blacks live. Less well off whites are much more likely to live in rural areas, very far from blacks. Here in Memphis, Jews are some of the only whites who send their kids to the public schools.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2006, 03:36:44 AM »

The hookers take time to notice if you're circumcised?

Well, if not them, then who?

I always assumed all americans were circumsized.  Has there been a poll of this forum?
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2006, 03:41:23 AM »
« Edited: October 29, 2006, 04:26:57 AM by Alcon »

I always assumed all americans were circumsized.  Has there been a poll of this forum?

I think we did last year (but it's been deleted since) and, no, not all of us are. Tongue

There is a community (Kirya's Joel[sic]) in NY that is heavily Jewish of some variety and votes extraordinarily strongly for the GOP.

EDIT: Yeah, Kiryas Joel in Monroe township, Orange County, New York.  One precinct, Kerry got 63%.  In another, Bush got 96%.  Must be an interesting culture clash, there.

It's Satmar.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2006, 05:04:17 AM »

The Satmars are not a pleasant people.  That is all.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies