What is the most liberal ethnic group in the U.S.? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 12:34:50 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  What is the most liberal ethnic group in the U.S.? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What is the most liberal ethnic group in the U.S.?  (Read 11710 times)
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« on: October 27, 2006, 09:45:35 PM »

"Jew" isn't really an ethnic group in itself...
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2006, 03:41:23 AM »
« Edited: October 29, 2006, 04:26:57 AM by Alcon »

I always assumed all americans were circumsized.  Has there been a poll of this forum?

I think we did last year (but it's been deleted since) and, no, not all of us are. Tongue

There is a community (Kirya's Joel[sic]) in NY that is heavily Jewish of some variety and votes extraordinarily strongly for the GOP.

EDIT: Yeah, Kiryas Joel in Monroe township, Orange County, New York.  One precinct, Kerry got 63%.  In another, Bush got 96%.  Must be an interesting culture clash, there.

It's Satmar.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2006, 05:40:35 AM »

The Satmars are not a pleasant people.  That is all.

Why is that?

Even better example of the Satmar split - the town of Ramapo, Rockland County, New York.  Bush's election district performances ranged from 10.6% (district 6) to 99.1% (district 57).  A little something for everyone (although if you're a gentile Republican, you're probably screwed).
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2006, 04:59:06 AM »

Alcon, it may be hard for you to know a lot about Ramapo, but being the town my dad grew up in and my grandparent's currently live I can provide some insight into why this happens.  Ramapo is a large town broken into smaller villages.  Some of these villages like the one my grandparent's live is Airmont, a fairly conservative area made of mostly caucausian christians.  It also includes Hillburn, where my aunt lives, another conservative area.  But, it also includes Monsey which is the Mecca of Jews in the northeast.  People in Airmont despise the people in Monsey, and therefore there are great differences among the areas of this one town and I have no trouble believing the numbers you put forth.

I was being facetious, but that is interesting nonetheless.

I do have to point out, though, that Hillburn is not Republican from the data I have.  It is in the fifth district (Hillburn plus the tiny village of Sterlington), and gave Kerry 59%.

It looks like the most Republican areas are in Orangetown, and are virtually ajacent to the most Democratic.  It's pretty crazy.  Any idea how that area is planned out, and why the Jewish community is distributed so weirdly amongst Democratic strongholds?

I'm almost having trouble believing this map is right.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies