World Government?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 01:34:07 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  World Government?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Poll
Question: Do you support the idea of some kind of World Government?
Yes

Yes, but

Yes, with write in

No

No, but

No, with write in

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 26

Author Topic: World Government?  (Read 5327 times)
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: October 30, 2006, 08:53:10 AM »

No.  Our world is too "young" for a world government.  The only time I can see that a world government would become possible (but still not practical) is when we start colonizing the solar system, and we grow beyond country issues to planetary issues, where a unified "Earth" voice is needed when it comes to political/trade issues with the Moon, Mars, etc...
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #51 on: October 30, 2006, 01:12:48 PM »

No.  Our world is too "young" for a world government.  The only time I can see that a world government would become possible (but still not practical) is when we start colonizing the solar system, and we grow beyond country issues to planetary issues, where a unified "Earth" voice is needed when it comes to political/trade issues with the Moon, Mars, etc...

Ditto, and even then I would prefer it to be a loose federation rather than having a strong central government.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #52 on: October 30, 2006, 05:30:47 PM »

Nah, then you'll just have the colonialism of the 19th century played out on a galatic level. British Ares Territory, American East Luna, Chinese Tharsus, French Hellasland, Japanese North Lunar Territory, and Indian Tranquility Territory. Humanity is, if one thing, predictable. Why do you think we study history since history would be irrelevent in an unpredictable society.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #53 on: October 30, 2006, 05:34:19 PM »

...and if the sorry sage of European colonialism in Africa were to be repeated to any degree, some utterly insignificant (in a geopolitical sense. In a beer-making sense the reverse is the case) little country will end up taking over a huge chunk of the Moon, Mars etc, and proceed to generally pillage the area in such a brutal and greedy way that makes even the French feel a little sick.

As far as the question itself goes, that depends whether we are talking about theories or reality and what exactly is meant by "government".
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #54 on: October 31, 2006, 10:59:12 AM »

Ditto, and even then I would prefer it to be a loose federation rather than having a strong central government.

Who said anything about a "strong central government"...
In my understanding "A loose federation" would still be a world government, (isn't the United States still, technically speaking, a 'federation')
Bdub
Brandon W
« Reply #55 on: October 31, 2006, 11:06:13 AM »

There is no way that a world government would work.  To many cultures would clash.
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #56 on: October 31, 2006, 11:42:37 AM »

at this point in time a majority (11-10) have voted yes
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #57 on: October 31, 2006, 12:16:16 PM »

Who said anything about a "strong central government"...
In my understanding "A loose federation" would still be a world government, (isn't the United States still, technically speaking, a 'federation')

1. It would, never said it wasn't, just that if there must one a loose federation would be the format I prefer.
2. Less so than it was intended to be. The power of the federal government has greatly expanded in the last century.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies