2004 User Predictions - Technical
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:33:27 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  2004 User Predictions - Technical
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Author Topic: 2004 User Predictions - Technical  (Read 136618 times)
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: January 05, 2004, 12:53:17 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

OK...I seriously doubt that Leip is purposefully trying to favour the Democrats in the prediction maps. That makes abolutely no sense.
You must be logged in to read this quote.

Well, I'm open to alternative explanations.  Can you think of any?  There's no doubt the number of entries drops occasionally, and the result is a shift back to 269-269 from a substantial Republican lead.

Well, ehhhh...I don't know but I think there is a different reason. Maybe there is a limit as to how many predictions can be included, and he either removes those contributed at an early stage or those which are more extreme? Or there is some technical problem, bug or whatever, which means that the prediction map is not working accurately. Or maybe there are a lot of Democrats, or a lot of goofs making predictions...
ElectionAtlas
Atlas Proginator
YaBB God
United States

P P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #51 on: January 06, 2004, 09:55:57 AM »
« Edited: January 06, 2004, 09:57:25 AM by Dave Leip »

There is a reason - I removed a number of entries from prediction spammers (kind of like ballot-box stuffing).  There were three individuals who had submitted almost the same maps over 20 times each.  This was skewing the data towards the bias of a couple of individuals.  I've added additional features to reduce this problem.

As for the identical nature of the prediction map and 2000, this is not a huge surprise since the defaults of the prediction maps are set to the 2000 results - many predictions do not change the win percentages and there are a majority of predictions that believe that the same states will be won in 2004.  I expect this to change once the general election democratic candidate is chosen and more polls are released closer to the election.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #52 on: January 06, 2004, 12:39:05 PM »

Thanks for the explanation Dave.  I guess it shows how much some of us respect 'democracy'!  Thanks for the fun site by the way.

You know another cool way to come up with an electoral map would be to allow users to log in and vote one time each in their home state of choice.  I guess that would just be an online poll.  
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #53 on: January 06, 2004, 07:52:58 PM »

There is a reason - I removed a number of entries from prediction spammers (kind of like ballot-box stuffing).  There were three individuals who had submitted almost the same maps over 20 times each.  This was skewing the data towards the bias of a couple of individuals.  I've added additional features to reduce this problem.

As for the identical nature of the prediction map and 2000, this is not a huge surprise since the defaults of the prediction maps are set to the 2000 results - many predictions do not change the win percentages and there are a majority of predictions that believe that the same states will be won in 2004.  I expect this to change once the general election democratic candidate is chosen and more polls are released closer to the election.

I will have to ask you a question then. I posted more than one prediction map, reflecting two different scenarios and one more informative poll based map. They're called Gustaf2 and Gustaf3 and so on. Is this not allowed, b/c then I can remove some, in case you haven't already?
ElectionAtlas
Atlas Proginator
YaBB God
United States

P P P
« Reply #54 on: January 07, 2004, 01:03:49 PM »

I've set it up so that you can post three, but not more.
Dave
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #55 on: January 07, 2004, 02:27:24 PM »

Dave

OK, thanks, I think I have already said this once, but GREAT thing with the new prediction map functions. I love it... Smiley

Why, btw, is there no third party option? It doesn't seem viable now, but it could be interesting in the future.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #56 on: January 11, 2004, 01:52:32 PM »
« Edited: January 11, 2004, 01:52:51 PM by Harry »

Dave

OK, thanks, I think I have already said this once, but GREAT thing with the new prediction map functions. I love it... Smiley

Why, btw, is there no third party option? It doesn't seem viable now, but it could be interesting in the future.

I can agree; perhaps a third party candidate column should be included.  If Dean runs as a 3rd party candidate or something (which i am NOT saying I think it will happen, but some may want to put that on their maps.
Mort from NewYawk
MortfromNewYawk

« Reply #57 on: January 15, 2004, 03:03:55 PM »

How are campaign stickers posted to the user signature?

I've tried copying .gif and .bmp files but my "paste" command is greyed out when I right-click in the signature box of the profile.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #58 on: January 15, 2004, 03:07:54 PM »

How are campaign stickers posted to the user signature?

I've tried copying .gif and .bmp files but my "paste" command is greyed out when I right-click in the signature box of the profile.
well, you use img and /img tags in brackets [] to post images.
ElectionAtlas
Atlas Proginator
YaBB God
United States

P P P
« Reply #59 on: March 16, 2004, 04:29:40 PM »

Update to the Prediction page:  There is now the ability to click on a state to see the statistical charts of the > 1000 predictions!
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #60 on: March 16, 2004, 04:30:33 PM »

Update to the Prediction page:  There is now the ability to click on a state to see the statistical charts of the > 1000 predictions!

Awesome!
Jyrki
Rookie
France

« Reply #61 on: March 16, 2004, 10:45:11 PM »

Help !

How can I put a map in my post ?

I want to put a prediction map in a post and comment it.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #62 on: March 17, 2004, 01:15:49 PM »

Help !

You make it on the EV calculator, then you right-click somewhere OUTSIDE the map, but inside the window (I recommend in between Hawaii and the continental US...), click on properties and copy the address (including the long series of letters and numbers there), paste it here and put  before and after it.
Jyrki
Rookie
France

« Reply #63 on: March 18, 2004, 09:12:41 PM »

Help !

You make it on the EV calculator, then you right-click somewhere OUTSIDE the map, but inside the window (I recommend in between Hawaii and the continental US...), click on properties and copy the address (including the long series of letters and numbers there), paste it here and put  before and after it.

Thanks a lot.
But it doesn't work with my computer : the map is all grey. Besides this, I would like to use a "prediction map" (with percentages), not a EV map with just red and blue states.
I also tried to paste the adress of a "prediction map" but there was no map at all (not even a grey one).
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #64 on: March 19, 2004, 04:15:34 PM »

Help !

Thanks a lot.
But it doesn't work with my computer : the map is all grey. Besides this, I would like to use a "prediction map" (with percentages), not a EV map with just red and blue states.
I also tried to paste the adress of a "prediction map" but there was no map at all (not even a grey one).

Hm, the all grey thing seems to happen occasionally...but I think you're just making a small mistake then, I remember other people has been through the same thing. You can do what I just told you with the prediction maps you make to get percentages, etc. You could just post a link to your prediction on this site if you wanted.
Jyrki
Rookie
France

« Reply #65 on: March 21, 2004, 11:21:07 AM »

Help !

Thanks a lot.

Hm, the all grey thing seems to happen occasionally...but I think you're just making a small mistake then, I remember other people has been through the same thing. You can do what I just told you with the prediction maps you make to get percentages, etc. You could just post a link to your prediction on this site if you wanted.

Could you make a test with the following adress so I can see what you did with a "Reply" ?
 http://www.uselectionatlas.org/USPRESIDENT/GENERAL/CAMPAIGN/2004/USERMAPS/pe2004917P2)

Thank you
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #66 on: March 21, 2004, 12:34:39 PM »

Help !

Thanks a lot.

Could you make a test with the following adress so I can see what you did with a "Reply" ?
 http://www.uselectionatlas.org/USPRESIDENT/GENERAL/CAMPAIGN/2004/USERMAPS/pe2004917P2)

Thank you

Let's try this...

Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #67 on: March 21, 2004, 12:35:47 PM »

That's your map, right? Smiley

Jyrki
Rookie
France

« Reply #68 on: March 21, 2004, 07:11:32 PM »

Yeah, it's my map  Wink
And I'm very proud of it !

I see the problem : nobody told me to put a .gif at the end of the adress.

Now it works :
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #69 on: March 22, 2004, 08:46:33 AM »

Yeah, it's my map  Wink

Now it works :

Well, I didn't put it there, I just used properties, etc like I told you. Smiley
Jyrki
Rookie
France

« Reply #70 on: March 22, 2004, 09:47:01 AM »

Yeah, it's my map  Wink

Now it works :

Well, I didn't put it there, I just used properties, etc like I told you. Smiley

I was forced to put it there (letter by letter). When I did what you told me It didn't work. Your browser must have different settings.
I saw on another page on the forum that someone else had the same trouble (with "grey maps"). The solution is to add .gif manually. It should be in the "Help" somewhere.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #71 on: March 22, 2004, 10:15:55 AM »

Yeah, it's my map  Wink

Now it works :

I was forced to put it there (letter by letter). When I did what you told me It didn't work. Your browser must have different settings.
I saw on another page on the forum that someone else had the same trouble (with "grey maps"). The solution is to add .gif manually. It should be in the "Help" somewhere.

OK, I guess you're right then. Anyway, now that you know you can put them on the discussion thread and get other people's opinions. Smiley
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #72 on: March 31, 2004, 01:49:34 PM »

I am trying to add my prediction map to signature file in here.  I have seen a few others who have this.  I tried to follow your instructions, i.e., copy the address of the map from properties.  What I have now is a link to my prediction map in my signature, not the map itself.  Can anyone help me with this?
dunn

« Reply #73 on: March 31, 2004, 01:57:35 PM »

I am trying to add my prediction map to signature file in here.  I have seen a few others who have this.  I tried to follow your instructions, i.e., copy the address of the map from properties.  What I have now is a link to my prediction map in my signature, not the map itself.  Can anyone help me with this?
you put img befor but in [] and /img in [] after it
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #74 on: March 31, 2004, 04:13:31 PM »

you put img befor but in [] and /img in [] after it

Thanks....that didn't work.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to: