Our friend Zell Miller is back...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 06:16:55 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2006 Elections
  2006 Senatorial Election Polls
  Our friend Zell Miller is back...
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Our friend Zell Miller is back...  (Read 6859 times)
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 31, 2006, 03:55:04 PM »

... and he's backing Santorum!  (Posted for Phil)

"Zell Miller leads Democratic coalition for Santorum"

Former Sen. Zell Miller, a Georgia Democrat who supported President Bush in 2004, will head a new group of Democrats supporting Pennsylvania GOP Sen. Rick Santorum's reelection bid.

"I am not involved in any other race in the country," Miller said during a radio interview Monday, according to a news release from Santorum's campaign. "I am only doing this for Rick Santorum. I believe in Rick Santorum's leadership that much."

Santorum is trailing in public polls to his Democratic challenger Bob Casey, Jr.

(Cont...)
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2006, 03:58:39 PM »

Zell Miller is probably the politician I'm most afraid of going on a crazed rampage.
Adlai Stevenson
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2006, 04:01:23 PM »

You'd think Miller would have been used effectively by the Republicans in the South.  He could campaign for Perdue, Corker and Allen and could probably sway a few conservative Democrats.
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -1.22

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2006, 04:02:13 PM »

Zell Miller is probably the politician I'm most afraid of going on a crazed rampage.
Now now, it wil be a polite rampage...he'll just challenge everyone to duels. Wink
DarthKosh

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2006, 04:17:44 PM »

They gave him his meds in the home.
merseysider
militant centrist

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2006, 05:15:04 PM »

How old is Miller? Does anyone think he might be senile?
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2006, 05:28:03 PM »

They should have stuck him with Burns. That would have been funny.
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -3.74, S: -6.96

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2006, 09:16:22 PM »

Just when I thought Zell was right about being moderate and trying to attract Southern voters, he campaigns for the meanest, most bigoted out of touch Republican in the Senate. What a jerk. I don't know who is more offensive, Miller or that troglodyte Sam Nunn. Georgia Senators except Max Cleland suck.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2006, 09:50:41 PM »

Former Sen. Zell Miller, a Georgia Democrat who supported President Bush in 2004, will head a new group of Democrats supporting Pennsylvania GOP Sen. Rick Santorum's reelection bid.

I'm happy to see that Miller's family is enthusiastic about politics.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2006, 10:34:23 PM »

Zell has cut at least one other TV ad.  I saw one today that had him backing Gov. Perdue in the race that he was leading by a wide margin.  I'm guessing he's just backing the people he likes best and isn't worrying about where it would have the most impact as this makes a second race that isn't close enough to matter.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2006, 12:31:05 AM »

It's really a shame what's happened to Zell. He really was an excellent Governor and strongly backed Clinton in 1992. I can't believe he'd support Santorum over Casey; the latter should be exactly his type of Democrat. I think he really sold his soul for the attention that he loves to get.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2006, 12:35:43 AM »

This was interesting...from Zell's Wikipedia entry:

But at a dinner in Atlanta in 2001, Miller had introduced Kerry as "one of this nation's authentic heroes, one of this party's best-known and greatest leaders — and a good friend," who had "worked to strengthen our military."
Downwinder

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -6.43

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2006, 03:36:25 AM »

Zell Miller, Democratic Coalition of One for Santorum!!
Ben.
Ben
YaBB God

« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2006, 07:48:20 AM »

You'd think Miller would have been used effectively by the Republicans in the South.  He could campaign for Perdue, Corker and Allen and could probably sway a few conservative Democrats.

Allen maybe, but Miller was close to Barnes and probably wouldnt dream of backing Perdue... as with Corker, I'm not sure, Ford stikes me as one of the few Democrats of whom Miller would be very supportive of.

So i get the sense that Miller is only backing Santorum becuase he's a friend of his, indeed Ford and Santorum are meant to get along quite well... as nutty as Santorum is he does seem to be somone who's friends are very loyal and attached to, regardless of his poltics... and that's one reason why Miller is, so far, only openly supporting him rather than doing as he did back in '04.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2006, 08:43:39 AM »

I'm happy to see that Miller's family is enthusiastic about politics.

hahaha . . . this was the first time I ever heard of the group.  I haven't found a link to them yet though.  Tongue
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2006, 10:49:07 AM »

I can't believe he'd support Santorum over Casey; the latter should be exactly his type of Democrat.

Casey is now a puppet of the Dem establishment and Zell has liked Santorum for awhile.
Ben.
Ben
YaBB God

« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2006, 11:03:26 AM »

I can't believe he'd support Santorum over Casey; the latter should be exactly his type of Democrat.

Casey is now a puppet of the Dem establishment and Zell has liked Santorum for awhile.

Miller seems to be attempting (in his own totally useless way) to bolster Santorum's campaign rather than hammering Casey, as Phil says Santorum and Miller are fairly close (and as i have said Santorum seems to get on, at a personal level, with plenty of Democrats)... I wouldnt expect any sweeping endorsments from Miller as there where two years ago.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2006, 11:07:17 AM »

Miller seems to be attempting (in his own totally useless way) to bolster Santorum's campaign rather than hammering Casey, as Phil says Santorum and Miller are fairly close (and as i have said Santorum seems to get on, at a personal level, with plenty of Democrats)... I wouldnt expect any sweeping endorsments from Miller as there where two years ago.

Well, that's a good point. At least he's not bashing Casey; perhaps he is only endorsing Rick due to remaining loyal to a friend rather than truly agreeing with Santorum more than Casey on the issues. I have no problem with that.

But it is quite interesting how Kerry went from a great friend and protector of the military to horrible and someone who would arm the military with spitballs in his eyes in just three years. And his proof for this was to cite Kerry's votes for defense cuts in the late 80's and early 90's, which of course had occured 10 or more years before Zell considered Kerry to be in favor of a strong military.
RBH

« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2006, 11:21:12 AM »

If Bob Casey Jr isn't the right kind of Democrat for Zell Miller, who the hell is?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2006, 11:23:34 AM »

If Bob Casey Jr isn't the right kind of Democrat for Zell Miller, who the hell is?

John Breckenridge. Obviously.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2006, 12:11:40 PM »

glad to see miller endorsing the normal candidate in the pa senate race.

but i dont think of miller as a 'democrat' any longer.  he should give up that label.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2006, 01:09:05 PM »

Allen maybe, but Miller was close to Barnes and probably wouldnt dream of backing Perdue... as with Corker, I'm not sure, Ford stikes me as one of the few Democrats of whom Miller would be very supportive of.

Zell has cut at least one other TV ad.  I saw one today that had him backing Gov. Perdue in the race that he was leading by a wide margin.  I'm guessing he's just backing the people he likes best and isn't worrying about where it would have the most impact as this makes a second race that isn't close enough to matter.

Zell is backing Perdue.  Why he's bothering I have no idea, but he is.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2006, 02:34:15 PM »

Isn't he backing Blackwell over Strickland as well?
RJ
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2006, 03:54:25 PM »

What, all 25 of them?

Democrats for Rick Santorum. Now that's funny!

Isn't he backing Blackwell over Strickland as well?

Blackwell over Strickland? Once again, old Go-to-Hell Zel is at it again.

I'd figure Lieberman is Zel's idea of a Democrat.
Ben.
Ben
YaBB God

« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2006, 04:36:05 PM »

I'd figure Lieberman is Zel's idea of a Democrat.

On national secuirty perhaps, but Lieberman is way too liberal for a pol like Zel, the thing is he states he's trying to articulate a conservative democrat position on the issues... but he withholds suppor from the likes of Lincoln, Landrieu, Casey and Ford.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies