president of the 30 million member National Association of Evangelicals is gay
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 02:07:20 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  president of the 30 million member National Association of Evangelicals is gay
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Author Topic: president of the 30 million member National Association of Evangelicals is gay  (Read 4273 times)
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: November 03, 2006, 05:00:11 PM »

I think a far better test to is see what happens in the 7 gay-marriage votes

Those votes are actually an indication of the sheep-like qualities that some evangelicals have with their leaders (at least in the perception of those leaders).

Actually, it is a testiment as to how social conservativism crosses party lines.   Which is why pols must hide their agenda and pretend not to support gay-marriage.

---

Otherwise, why would this one issue out of all the issues that one could base out of biblical teachings (and not a teaching universally accepted by all self-professed Christians, tho admittedly it is by a solid majority of the evangelical movement) be the one that is being hammered home this year as in 2006.  How about debt cancellation every 7 years (Deut 15:1)  How about propositions to make divination and speaking with the dead illegal in accordance with Deut 18:10-11?  There are plenty of biblically based laws that could be fought for in the political arena, and yet the ones that are based on disputed biblical interpretations are the ones that end up on the agenda of political evangelicals.

The ballot measures do not make homosexuality illegal, they merely reject having The People being forced to publicly recognizing gay marriages.

And since you believe that God will force Christians to restart sacrificing animals again, thus making Christ's sacrifice on the cross null and void, you're really not one to comment on what is and what is not proper Christian dogma.  Can you name a single Christian denomination that agrees with you on this issue?
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #76 on: November 03, 2006, 07:30:06 PM »
« Edited: November 03, 2006, 07:32:00 PM by Sen. Ernest »

And since you believe that God will force Christians to restart sacrificing animals again, thus making Christ's sacrifice on the cross null and void, you're really not one to comment on what is and what is not proper Christian dogma.  Can you name a single Christian denomination that agrees with you on this issue?

My statement was intended to point out that political evangelicals tend to focus on issues that differentiate themselves from others who consider themselves Christian instead of issues that could attract a broader degree of support within the community of self-professed Christians, not indicate that I have inerrant knowledge of God's intent.  I shall leave such hubris to others.

As to your question, the closest denomination that I have come across that reflects my views actually goes further than I do in condemning Paul and considers itself to be monotheistic Jewish rather than tritheistic Christian.  (Ebionite Community)  There are a number of organizations in the Ebionite/Nazarene spectrum that exists in the sparsely populated hinterlands between traditional Rabbinic Judaism and Pauline Christianity, some hewing more towards one side or the other.  Given that sparsity of people with similar beliefs, not finding an organization with an exact match to mine is not heavily troubling to me.  Of course, I would need an exact match only if I were a sheep content to be herded by other men.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #77 on: November 03, 2006, 08:03:33 PM »
« Edited: November 03, 2006, 08:56:28 PM by jmfcst »

[As to your question, the closest denomination that I have come across that reflects my views actually goes further than I do in condemning Paul and considers itself to be monotheistic Jewish rather than tritheistic Christian.

I am monotheistic

---

Doesn't look like they accept ANY books from the New Testament as canon:
http://ebionite.org/tanak.htm

And they deny the divinity of Christ: 

"[Jesus] was not divine....He was not the Messiah but undertook a messianic mission." http://ebionite.org/history.htm

How nice
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #78 on: November 03, 2006, 10:20:43 PM »

[As to your question, the closest denomination that I have come across that reflects my views actually goes further than I do in condemning Paul and considers itself to be monotheistic Jewish rather than tritheistic Christian.

I am monotheistic

I should know better by now than to try subtety with you since you always seem to miss it.  Since I was discussing their beliefs I was presenting their viewpoint in thier terms and they see making a trinity out of YHWH as grafting new gods onto the one true god.

"[Jesus] was not divine....He was not the Messiah but undertook a messianic mission." http://ebionite.org/history.htm

How nice

Well, it was either quote this group or one of several others that accept even the Pauline portions of the New Testament as inspired, and given my opinion of Paul, that one came closer.  I have come across ither that come closer to my position, but keeping track of religious websites is not my obsession and this was the best a quick search could provide.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #79 on: November 03, 2006, 10:39:38 PM »

I am monotheistic

I should know better by now than to try subtety with you since you always seem to miss it.  Since I was discussing their beliefs I was presenting their viewpoint in thier terms and they see making a trinity out of YHWH as grafting new gods onto the one true god.

How nice

Well, it was either quote this group or one of several others that accept even the Pauline portions of the New Testament as inspired, and given my opinion of Paul, that one came closer.  I have come across ither that come closer to my position, but keeping track of religious websites is not my obsession and this was the best a quick search could provide.

I asked you to name a denomination that shares your views on God forcing Christians to reinstate animal sacrifices...and you came up with a group that denies the divinity of Christ along with his resurrection.

quite telling
HardRCafé
YaBB God
Italy
« Reply #80 on: November 04, 2006, 01:10:18 AM »

I guess our experiences differ. One would think that if you read this very forum you would have concluded that there are quite a few Christians that have a differing opinion of the subject than you - in fact I've seen them tell you that directly. I guess you weren't paying attention.

Wiccans considering themselves Christians does not make them Christians.
nlm
« Reply #81 on: November 04, 2006, 08:06:38 AM »

I guess our experiences differ. One would think that if you read this very forum you would have concluded that there are quite a few Christians that have a differing opinion of the subject than you - in fact I've seen them tell you that directly. I guess you weren't paying attention.

Wiccans considering themselves Christians does not make them Christians.

Uh - do we have Wiccans that post on this board? Or are you saying that anybody that disagrees with jmfsct is like a Wiccan? Maybe I'm just missing the context of your statement - because it doesn't seem to relate to what has been posted before it.
Virginian87
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: -3.55, S: 2.70

« Reply #82 on: November 04, 2006, 02:31:21 PM »

I love how so many evangelicals are total hypocrites.  We had a conservative representative in the 2nd District in Virginia (a strong proponent of the Federal Marriage Amendment) who had to resign when it was discovered that he had illicit phone conversations with younger men.  We had Ralph Reed and his ethics scandals, and now we have this guy.

Yet another reason why mainline Christianity is the way to go, and not the route of these crazy people with their megachurches.  We also don't go around imposing our extreme views on America through faith-based legislation.  It is possible to be a religious Christian without being totally nuts like Dobson, Falwell, or Robertson.

Even many Republicans don't like them (see Dick Armey), and I think we might see either less of an effort by the GOP to court them in national elections or less of an evangelical tendency to blindly support the Republicans.

Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #83 on: November 04, 2006, 09:05:27 PM »

Yep, another sanctomonious hypcrite bites the dust. The likes of Haggard give evangelicals a bad name Sad

Dave
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #84 on: November 06, 2006, 01:32:37 PM »

How funny this sounds now
http://www.poetv.com/video.php?vid=8354
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length