president of the 30 million member National Association of Evangelicals is gay (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 05:14:59 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  president of the 30 million member National Association of Evangelicals is gay (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: president of the 30 million member National Association of Evangelicals is gay  (Read 4336 times)
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« on: November 02, 2006, 09:43:10 PM »

He would also have to be mighty dumb to make up such a statement.  Not that people are never dumb, but I don't see how anyone would be able to convince himself that any good would come out of making this up.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2006, 12:27:25 AM »

He would also have to be mighty dumb to make up such a statement.  Not that people are never dumb, but I don't see how anyone would be able to convince himself that any good would come out of making this up.

Political motive?

Without proof, any political motive he might be trying to promote is gonna be hurt rather than helped by this, especially in the long term, but also in the short term.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2006, 04:48:25 PM »

We shall see on the 8th - dude. I think the organizational structure of the Christian is more important to the movement than you do, I think that organizational structure has taken some serious blows. I think Christian Right voters are going to have much less impact this year than in the last few elections because of it.

But again - we'll see on the 8th if there has been a wave election against the GOP or not.

I do think the analogy using drunks and Christians is a good one - but for different reasons than you Wink

I think a far better test to is see what happens in the 7 gay-marriage votes

Those votes are actually an indication of the sheep-like qualities that some evangelicals have with their leaders (at least in the perception of those leaders).  Otherwise, why would this one issue out of all the issues that one could base out of biblical teachings (and not a teaching universally accepted by all self-professed Christians, tho admittedly it is by a solid majority of the evangelical movement) be the one that is being hammered home this year as in 2006.  How about debt cancellation every 7 years (Deut 15:1)  How about propositions to make divination and speaking with the dead illegal in accordance with Deut 18:10-11?  There are plenty of biblically based laws that could be fought for in the political arena, and yet the ones that are based on disputed biblical interpretations are the ones that end up on the agenda of political evangelicals.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2006, 07:30:06 PM »
« Edited: November 03, 2006, 07:32:00 PM by Sen. Ernest »

And since you believe that God will force Christians to restart sacrificing animals again, thus making Christ's sacrifice on the cross null and void, you're really not one to comment on what is and what is not proper Christian dogma.  Can you name a single Christian denomination that agrees with you on this issue?

My statement was intended to point out that political evangelicals tend to focus on issues that differentiate themselves from others who consider themselves Christian instead of issues that could attract a broader degree of support within the community of self-professed Christians, not indicate that I have inerrant knowledge of God's intent.  I shall leave such hubris to others.

As to your question, the closest denomination that I have come across that reflects my views actually goes further than I do in condemning Paul and considers itself to be monotheistic Jewish rather than tritheistic Christian.  (Ebionite Community)  There are a number of organizations in the Ebionite/Nazarene spectrum that exists in the sparsely populated hinterlands between traditional Rabbinic Judaism and Pauline Christianity, some hewing more towards one side or the other.  Given that sparsity of people with similar beliefs, not finding an organization with an exact match to mine is not heavily troubling to me.  Of course, I would need an exact match only if I were a sheep content to be herded by other men.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2006, 10:20:43 PM »

[As to your question, the closest denomination that I have come across that reflects my views actually goes further than I do in condemning Paul and considers itself to be monotheistic Jewish rather than tritheistic Christian.

I am monotheistic

I should know better by now than to try subtety with you since you always seem to miss it.  Since I was discussing their beliefs I was presenting their viewpoint in thier terms and they see making a trinity out of YHWH as grafting new gods onto the one true god.

Doesn't look like they accept ANY books from the New Testament as canon:
http://ebionite.org/tanak.htm

And they deny the divinity of Christ: 

"[Jesus] was not divine....He was not the Messiah but undertook a messianic mission." http://ebionite.org/history.htm

How nice

Well, it was either quote this group or one of several others that accept even the Pauline portions of the New Testament as inspired, and given my opinion of Paul, that one came closer.  I have come across ither that come closer to my position, but keeping track of religious websites is not my obsession and this was the best a quick search could provide.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies