Kerry leads by 8% in New Jersey
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 06:49:40 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election Polls
  Kerry leads by 8% in New Jersey
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Kerry leads by 8% in New Jersey  (Read 6678 times)
The Vorlon
Vorlon
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -4.21

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 23, 2004, 11:32:35 AM »

http://www.quinnipiac.edu/x11538.xml

Kerry +8 in the "Garden State"

Kerry 49
Bush 41

Lead is 6% with Nader on the question

Public Opinion Strategis had it 49%/42% so these two polls agree very very closely

I think this should end all this fairly silly talk of Bush taking a run at Jersey.

If this was a "little" state with cheap media, maybe Bush might take a run.

New Jersey is a weird state media wise, other than a bit of cable, some radio, and a few newspapers, there really is no "New Jersey" media per se, it's all spillage from New York and Philadelphia.

New York media is insanely expensive, and to take a run at Jersey, Bush would have to buy New York media time..

Ain't Gonna happen....
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2004, 12:02:15 PM »

Some of the media that Bush buys in Pennsylvania will be seen by NJ voters.
zachman

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2004, 12:06:25 PM »

I don't believe campaign commercials will make as much of an impact as the national news, but true NJ will get tapped with campaign ads. I think Bush will get 42-44% in NJ, which is a strong gain given the state's trends.
millwx

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2004, 12:30:30 PM »

I think you're all right... must be the independent in me coming through Cheesy  That is, as Keystone Phil stated, some of those PA ad buys will hit NJ.  And Bush should do reasonably well in the state.  Nonetheless, the largest population mass is in the northeast of the state... not likely to catch the PA ads.  So, The Vorlon is also right, NJ is probably a pipe dream for Bush.  The best he can do is hope to tighten it enough to force Kerry to waste time/effort/money there... much like Kerry may try to do in NC by tapping Edwards as VP... NC will still very likely go to Bush, but he'd need to pay it some attention just to be sure.  IMO, that's the best Bush can hope for in NJ... force Kerry to defend, just in case.
The Vorlon
Vorlon
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -4.21

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2004, 01:04:13 PM »

it's all spillage from New York and Philadelphia.

Philadelphia = part of Pennsylvania (Unless they have held a referendum in the "T" I have not heard about..)
struct310
Rookie

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2004, 01:05:18 PM »

If Kerry only wins by 8% in New Jersey then Bush should win the popular vote in the country.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2004, 01:05:22 PM »

Yeah...he'd buy in the philly market...Northern Jersey outside of the immediate NYC burbs, leans republican (well the moderate type) anyways...its those southern counties Bush needs inroads in (burlington, a bigger margin in Atlantic)...

he could kill two birds with the same stone...the philly burbs...and south jersey...(maybe if its close enough then he puts an ad or two in the NYC market)...

but I think thats contingent on how well he's polling in SE PA...if the games over there....he's not gonna waste money there...and south jersey.
classical liberal
RightWingNut

Political Matrix
E: 9.35, S: -8.26

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2004, 01:20:45 PM »
« Edited: June 23, 2004, 01:57:47 PM by RightWingNut »

North Jersey is moving left.  Sommerset was a tossup in 2000, and will probably go Kerry this time.  Bush 1 took Morris at +37, Bush 2 got +11 last time.  Hunterdon was Bush 1 +40 and Bush 2 +15.  Sussex went from Bush 1 +45 to Bush 2 +15.  Warren went from Bush 1 +20 to Bush 2 +10.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2004, 02:12:13 PM »

Yeah...he'd buy in the philly market...Northern Jersey outside of the immediate NYC burbs, leans republican (well the moderate type) anyways...its those southern counties Bush needs inroads in (burlington, a bigger margin in Atlantic)...

he could kill two birds with the same stone...the philly burbs...and south jersey...(maybe if its close enough then he puts an ad or two in the NYC market)...

but I think thats contingent on how well he's polling in SE PA...if the games over there....he's not gonna waste money there...and south jersey.

Bush is wasting his time in the Philadelphia media market.  Burlington, Camden, and Gloucester Cos will go heavily for Kerry as will Southeast PA.  The local media (Inquirer/DN) has not been kind to Bush at all.  The murders of 2 local contractors practically killed his chances here to gain any ground.  Bush can spend his money here if he wants, but this will give Kerry an opportunity to flank him in VA, NC, NV, and AZ which will detract from Bush.  
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2004, 02:19:00 PM »

Bush is wasting his time in the Philadelphia media market.  Burlington, Camden, and Gloucester Cos will go heavily for Kerry as will Southeast PA.  The local media (Inquirer/DN) has not been kind to Bush at all.  The murders of 2 local contractors practically killed his chances here to gain any ground.  Bush can spend his money here if he wants, but this will give Kerry an opportunity to flank him in VA, NC, NV, and AZ which will detract from Bush.  

I don't even think Bush is looking for an outright victory in the Philly burbs man...as long as he can close the gap some...with the smaller margin, he might be able to run up the score in the T and get some more votes out of metro pittsburgh...that seems to be his strategy.

Of course, if he repeats his 2000 performance in the Southeast...its over here. Too big of a margin to overcome. Having Specter and not Toomey helps though.

At the end of the day...Kerry 50 Bush 48 Nader 2.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2004, 02:29:19 PM »

I don't even think Bush is looking for an outright victory in the Philly burbs man...as long as he can close the gap some...with the smaller margin, he might be able to run up the score in the T and get some more votes out of metro pittsburgh...that seems to be his strategy.

Of course, if he repeats his 2000 performance in the Southeast...its over here. Too big of a margin to overcome. Having Specter and not Toomey helps though.

Good point.  One thing I realized with Philly area voters is the Inquirer and Daily News mean more than advertsing here at least in my opinion.  Another thing you forgot in Pittsburgh is Teresa HEINZ-Kerry.  That should play well out there and I think he'll do a lot better out there than Gore did last time and I think the SE will go Kerry better than Gore got last time as well.  Bush better have a A-1 machine in the "T' to even come close.  My prediction:

Kerry: 53%
Bush: 45%
Nader/other: 2%
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2004, 03:00:35 PM »

I live in Southern New Jersey near Atlantic City and we get plenty of Bush ads here. I'm watching one right now. The Northern part of the state should get any ads being played on New York stations.

Other than the Natl ads their isn't that many ads in NYC media market.  Reasons well NY is a very safe Democratic state and the cost of ads is too expensive to run ads just fr North Jersey
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2004, 03:03:46 PM »

Good point.  One thing I realized with Philly area voters is the Inquirer and Daily News mean more than advertsing here at least in my opinion.  Another thing you forgot in Pittsburgh is Teresa HEINZ-Kerry.  That should play well out there and I think he'll do a lot better out there than Gore did last time and I think the SE will go Kerry better than Gore got last time as well.  Bush better have a A-1 machine in the "T' to even come close.  My prediction:

Kerry: 53%
Bush: 45%
Nader/other: 2%

I wonder if super's got any info on how Heinz-Kerry is being recieved due to her switch.

phillies
Rookie

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2004, 04:00:50 PM »

Local media: Cable

It's cheap.  There's a lot of it.  You can't always target one _town_ at a time, but one _state_ is straightforward, so while it is true that NJ has few (1?) broadcast TV stations of significance, you can now do what used to be challenging.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2004, 04:07:20 PM »

TV ads can definitly spill over into other states. I know I've seen Virginia campaign ads on Washington TV channels even though I live in Maryland.

Bush does have enough money though to run expensive ads in the NYC city market.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2004, 04:12:07 PM »

though he'd be better off trying to chip away at Kerry's lead in SE PA...and letting the Spillage help him a little in South Jersey.

If it helps him enough, then putting money into NYC for North Jersey becomes Viable.

Not likely though.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2004, 04:35:06 PM »

Bush has a better chance of winning in PA, which is a must-win for Kerry, than in NJ. Plus, PA is worth 6 more EV's.
Shira

« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2004, 06:15:03 PM »

Bush will get in NJ 8.5% below his national number
Shira

« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2004, 06:18:14 PM »

If Kerry only wins by 8% in New Jersey then Bush should win the popular vote in the country.

There will be a 16% gap between Kerry and Bush
struct310
Rookie

« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2004, 08:56:58 PM »

Not according to the multiple polls taken for NJ.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2004, 01:40:28 AM »

though he'd be better off trying to chip away at Kerry's lead in SE PA...and letting the Spillage help him a little in South Jersey.

If it helps him enough, then putting money into NYC for North Jersey becomes Viable.

Not likely though.

Bush payment per vote in SE Pennsylvania and Southern New Jersey if given as a ratio would be extremely high here.  In other words, his campaign is not very dollar efficient here.  I hope Bush keeps spending here, won't help him much.  This is also given the fact that Kerry can spend in near battleground states such as NV, AZ, VA, NC, CO, AR, TN, and LA plus devote to Ohio.  Rendell will deliver Philly and Heinz-Kerry will deliver Pittsburgh.  End of story.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2004, 09:19:10 AM »

There will be a 16% gap between Kerry and Bush

More like 8-12%.  All polls seem to signify that that will be the gap.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies