Thank you, America
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 09:54:18 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Thank you, America
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Thank you, America  (Read 5254 times)
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2006, 11:11:06 AM »

I say we have more 3 politicians come forward to announce their intent prior to Christmas.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2006, 12:01:16 PM »

American voters threw out the three worst Senators in the country tonight. For that alone, they deserve a huge 'Thank you'.

Not so sure about that.  Oh, don't misunderstand me.  I am glad some of the good guys won for a change.  Burns and Santorum were bad eggs, IMO. (Though Santorum really was quite gracious in defeat and I respect that a lot.)

But the WORST senators weren't up for re-election.  Jim DeMint and Tom Coburn are the worst of the worst.  Can you think of anyone in the Senate who is more theocratic?  Cornyn, maybe?  Hell, even Orrin Hatch can play nice with Ted Kennedy once in a blue moon.
AuH2O
YaBB God

« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2006, 12:20:55 PM »

Democrats won 2006, big. But they haven't won the 2008 Presidential race yet, not even close.
kashifsakhan
« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2006, 12:25:18 PM »

Democrats won 2006, big. But they haven't won the 2008 Presidential race yet, not even close.

maybe not, but this win will make 2008 a bit easier in my opinion
Deano963

« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2006, 02:20:33 PM »

At least a good number of MODERATE democrats won in the new seats, vice the leftists.  I wonder if JFern will still be happy with that?

Ahh.....the Fox News talking points....

Isn't it funny how every single one of these Democratic challengers was blasted by his/her oppoentn for being a "liberal" during the race and now all the conservative blowhards are saying that all fo the Dems who were elected are conservative ones?
TX_1824
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.06, S: 2.17

« Reply #30 on: November 08, 2006, 02:24:07 PM »

At least a good number of MODERATE democrats won in the new seats, vice the leftists.  I wonder if JFern will still be happy with that?

Isn't it funny how every single one of these Democratic challengers was blasted by his/her oppoentn for being a "liberal" during the race and now all the conservative blowhards are saying that all fo the Dems who were elected are conservative ones?

It's called trying to get your candidate elected. You don't tell potential voters that your opponent has veiws similar to yours, and that his/her being ellected wouldn't be too bad.
Beefalow and the Consumer
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.77, S: -8.78

« Reply #31 on: November 08, 2006, 10:16:18 PM »

The people sucks. Even if it vote for you... (lol)

A good reason why I don't support dems like you.

No one voted for me.  And I'm not really a dem, but I find them to be the least sucky party in the USA currently.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #32 on: November 08, 2006, 10:19:43 PM »

No one voted for me.  And I'm not really a dem, but I find them to be the least sucky party in the USA currently.

Is the death penalty thing binding?
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #33 on: November 08, 2006, 10:26:55 PM »

Is the death penalty thing binding?

No, thank the Good Lord.  And with Doyle and a Democratic State Senate, it won't happen any time soon.

The marriage amendment is binding, and it depresses me that 59% of voters in my state are that mean-spirited.  Which was the main source of my earlier depressed rant.
Soaring Eagle

« Reply #34 on: November 08, 2006, 10:29:02 PM »

Now we celebrate with a bit of this:

http://www.neuvel.net/Audio%20files/yubnub.wav
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #35 on: November 08, 2006, 10:35:05 PM »

No, thank the Good Lord.  And with Doyle and a Democratic State Senate, it won't happen any time soon.

Ah. Good. Did any county vote against it?

You must be logged in to read this quote.

IMO the problem with the gay marriage/civil unions/etc/etc issue in the U.S at the moment is that the gay rights movement stupidly allowed people opposed to gay rights to define the terms of the entire debate. Too late to do much about it in the short term, long term is hopefully different.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #36 on: November 08, 2006, 10:44:26 PM »

I'm shocked Arizona voted against the marriage amendment. That is awesome. We finally took that thing down somewhere and in a pretty conservative state to boot....but why the hell did Wisconsin vote for it by such a wide margin? Strange.
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #37 on: November 08, 2006, 10:51:37 PM »

Ah. Good. Did any county vote against it?

I haven't been able to find any numbers on that.  I'm sure Dane County went No.  For the marriage amendment, it passed in every county except Dane and Lafayette (southwest of Dane).
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #38 on: November 08, 2006, 10:56:41 PM »

I'm shocked Arizona voted against the marriage amendment. That is awesome. We finally took that thing down somewhere and in a pretty conservative state to boot....but why the hell did Wisconsin vote for it by such a wide margin? Strange.

Both Catholics and Evangelical Protestants are very large groups in Wisconsin.  With all of the Catholics, the one that surprises me is that the death penalty advisory passed.

I thought about arguing with my fellow church members why the marriage amendment is counter-productive, mean-spirited, and bad government, but I didn't see much use in it.  Give folks a chance to "score one for God at the ballot box" and they take it.  Maybe it eased their guilt in voting Democrat, I don't know...
Deano963

« Reply #39 on: November 08, 2006, 10:57:53 PM »

You don't tell potential voters that your opponent has veiws similar to yours, and that his/her being ellected wouldn't be too bad.

Yeh - especailly when the Democrat in question DOSEN'T have similar views to the Republican, as most of the Democrats who were elected yesterday. I'm not trying to be smug, but all of the idiot republicans trying to parrot the Faux News talking point that a bunch of conservative Dems were elected yesterday are full of it.

A ton of progressive democrats were elected yesterday. Nothing more, nothing less.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #40 on: November 08, 2006, 11:51:39 PM »

My impression of Arizona has always been of a libertarian state, voting Republican because of immigration issues and taxes but very socially liberal. I think the gay marriage ban referendum corroborates that opinion.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #41 on: November 08, 2006, 11:52:37 PM »

My impression of Arizona has always been of a libertarian state, voting Republican because of immigration issues and taxes but very socially liberal. I think the gay marriage ban referendum corroborates that opinion.

I don't really think so.  I just think that gay marriage seems to be losing its overall potency as an issue in the North.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #42 on: November 09, 2006, 12:14:04 AM »

skybridge
« Reply #43 on: November 09, 2006, 08:31:37 AM »
« Edited: November 09, 2006, 08:34:48 AM by skybridge »

Haha.

Where are the people claiming because
[ i]t's a center-right country and if the Dems want to win they need Mark Warner or Evan Bayh
now Tongue

Victory celebrations aside, I strongly hope the Dems will deliver more than a mere protest vote and prove that maybe the left isn't nuttier than the religious right or the chickenhawks after all.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #44 on: November 09, 2006, 08:38:00 AM »

Screw you, America - once again you've failed to vote a single Libertarian to Congress. Once again you've screwed us all over by voting for Republicans and Democrats. I hate you, you mother f**king retards! You go to hell, you go the hell and you die!

Oh, and please vote Libertarian in 2008. Wink
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #45 on: November 09, 2006, 10:04:47 AM »

Screw you, America - once again you've failed to vote a single Libertarian to Congress. Once again you've screwed us all over by voting for Republicans and Democrats. I hate you, you mother f**king retards! You go to hell, you go the hell and you die!

When the Libertarian Party stops being batsh**t crazy...then it will find office. (As I think you also believe)
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #46 on: November 09, 2006, 10:23:12 AM »

When the Libertarian Party stops being batsh**t crazy...then it will find office. (As I think you also believe)

They should stop bothering to run Presidential candidates and focus on races they can win, such as in Arizona and New Hampshire, where they might be able to snag a couple of seats in the state legislature and work their way up.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #47 on: November 09, 2006, 10:26:23 AM »

I hate to sound like a broken record, but no one on this forum seems to have heard of Duverger's law.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #48 on: November 09, 2006, 10:39:18 AM »

Yes I do believe that - I was just being facetious.

They should stop bothering to run Presidential candidates and focus on races they can win, such as in Arizona and New Hampshire, where they might be able to snag a couple of seats in the state legislature and work their way up.

I would support that too if it weren't for ballot access issues - in many states we need a major race candidate to get a certain percentage of the vote so we can actually get our candidates on the ballot without the hassle. Otherwise I agree with the sentiment. We should first off stop running in so many congressional races where there are already two major party candidates, concentrating only on those that are uncontested. And as you say we need to concentrate on state-level legislature races as well.
gorkay

« Reply #49 on: November 09, 2006, 11:51:35 AM »

I agree with you. The problem with most third parties in the U.S. is that they try to build from the top down, rather than the bottom up. But I think the other problem with the Libertarians is that most voters just don't agree with enough of their policies. Like me, they see the wisdom in the libertarian outlook on some matters but not on others. They might get more votes if they moderated their views on some issues, but I expect they'd be accused of selling out by many of their current supporters if they did so.
The big problem I have with full-bore libertarianism is the almost naively touching faith they have in the goodness of mankind and the infallibility of the free-market system.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies