State Legislative Elections
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 05:51:33 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  State Legislative Elections
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
Author Topic: State Legislative Elections  (Read 24654 times)
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: November 21, 2006, 12:04:40 AM »

That is my Hebrew name.
RBH

« Reply #51 on: November 21, 2006, 01:28:41 AM »

The 2007/2008 New Hampshire General Court, by the numbers

240: The Number of Democrats in the General Court for the 2007/2008 session

149: The Number of Democrats in the General Court for the 2005/2006 session

71/52: The Democrat/Republican split in Hillsborough in 07/08 session

45/77: The Democrat/Republican split in Hillsborough in 05/06 session

2123: The Number of votes recieved by Shirl Garhart (D) and Steve Spratt (D) for 4th place in Hillsborough-3. Hillsborough-3 only has 4 seats.

8: The Number of Recounts scheduled for today though next Tuesday.

36/1: The Democrat/Republican split in Strafford for 07/08.

4: The number of counties which had Democratic majority delegations in 05/06

7: The number of counties with Democratic majority delegations in 07/08

5: The number of married couples elected to the General Court. Those couples are The Katsakiores (R-Rockingham-5), The Rollos (D-Stafford-2), The Merricks (R-Coos-2), The Obers (R-Hillsborough-27), and the Knowles (D-Hillsbourgh-27)
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #52 on: November 25, 2006, 05:05:10 PM »

Under the Texas Constitution (as interpreted by court cases), counties with a population smaller than one representative may not be split. (...)  Lubbock County has a population slightly less than 2 districts, so it must have one whole district, and the remnant treated liked the other mid-sized counties (Texas House districts average about 139,000 in population). 
I was thinking about what would happen if these rules were applied to Texas federal districts...

There would be two districts entirely in Bexar County, and not much outside them.

No change is needed in El Paso, obviously.

Lloyd Doggett's Austin district would look much as it did in 2002-4. The remainder could be combined with Bastrop, Hays, and Hill Country areas, perhaps even including the small Bexar remnant.

South Texas gets weird. Cameron and Hidalgo have to go into separate districts, and Solomon Ortiz' Cameron-Nueces district is also impossible.
Hidalgo could be rounded off with Starr, Brooks, Jim Hogg and Zapata, with another district linking Cameron and Webb. Nueces would be combined with territory to the northwest and northeast, with its district bordering the Fort Bend and outer Austin districts.
(The Trans-Pecos + Eagle Pass/Del Rio areas of the 23rd will have to be combined with parts of the Permian Basin in that case...)

In the Dallas area, there'd be three districts entirely in Dallas, two districts entirely in Tarrant, one essentially Collin Co district (perhaps Collin/Grayson/Rockwall), one essentially Denton Co district (perhaps Denton/Cooke/Wise/Parker/Hood). The Dallas and Tarrant remnants could be combined with each other, Johnson, and Ellis.

Around Houston, there'd be 5 entirely Harris Co districts. A Galveston/Brazoria/remainder of Harris district is a possibility. Montgomery and Fort Bend (and Jefferson, too) would each dominate a fairly large district.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #53 on: November 26, 2006, 11:45:24 PM »

There are maps for MN, but they are PDFs and not color coated and pretty like the ones posted here.

It is pretty interesting how the state legislature split.. I see a split on old ethnic lines.  If you ignore the metro area (which is hard to do with so much of the state living there, but just bear with me).. you can see that the farmer and labor DFL strongholds still going.

The Scandinavian farming areas of northwestern, west-central, and southwestern MN stretching down the MInnesota River Valley to about Mankato, and then again in far south-eastern MN have all gone for the DFL.. the same goes for the eastern European labor areas of the iron range/Duluth areas.

The central MN and south central traditionally German areas have gone Republican.  It should also be known that Germans didn't have a very active position in Minnesota politics (at least in comparison with the Norwegians) until 1978... that year was also known as the "minnesota Massacre" when Democrats suffered major losses in the state.

The metro area, where people tend to forget their ethnic heritage, is a more typical picture of the U.S with the inner-city and inner-ring suburbs going DFL, with a slight DFL hold in the St. Paul suburbs while the Minneapolis exurbs go strongly GOP.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #54 on: November 27, 2006, 12:04:00 AM »

There are maps for MN, but they are PDFs and not color coated and pretty like the ones posted here.

Right, what I want are ones I can easily make results maps out of.

It is pretty interesting how the state legislature split.. I see a split on old ethnic lines.  If you ignore the metro area (which is hard to do with so much of the state living there, but just bear with me).. you can see that the farmer and labor DFL strongholds still going.

Something that no doubt is infuriating the GOP, they thought they would make permanent gains there-didn't happen.

This also should hopefully stick a fork in their dream of one day turning the Iron Range Republican, not that they were all that succesful, but they liked to pretend they were.

The Scandinavian farming areas of northwestern, west-central, and southwestern MN stretching down the MInnesota River Valley to about Mankato, and then again in far south-eastern MN have all gone for the DFL.. the same goes for the eastern European labor areas of the iron range/Duluth areas.

Actually most of the areas just outside of here (Mankato) and to the immediate west tend to be German and Republican, though some of those leg districts did go DFL suprisingly.

The central MN and south central traditionally German areas have gone Republican.  It should also be known that Germans didn't have a very active position in Minnesota politics (at least in comparison with the Norwegians) until 1978... that year was also known as the "minnesota Massacre" when Democrats suffered major losses in the state.

But their hold is weakening. See Austin and Rochester.

I find it rather telling that Gutknecht lost Olmsted County. This is his home county and political base, and one area he should've overperformed. The GOP's collapse in Rochester continues...
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #55 on: November 27, 2006, 12:42:18 AM »
« Edited: November 27, 2006, 12:56:14 AM by HumanRights® (htmldon) »

ATTN: Snowguy and BRTD:

Base map for MN, derived from GIS files

http://stuff.donjohnson.org/mn-housemap.gif

http://stuff.donjohnson.org/mn-senatemap.gif

What is awesome about the MN GIS files is that they include precinct-level election results for statewide elections (prez, sen, sos, etc) going all the way back to 1992!!!

I've posted a presidential map by precinct:
https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=49625.0
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #56 on: November 27, 2006, 12:59:30 AM »

That map is cool except for the fact it's mostly just a giant mess of black, now if each county had an individual map that'd be very cool.

I should hopefully get state leg maps done tommorow. I have to use school comps though, it's virtually impossible to do so on mine.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #57 on: November 27, 2006, 01:14:17 PM »

Here's the State Senate:

That D > 80 in the northwest corner and the only R > 80 should both be > 90, both incumbents were running unopposed.

I think I'll do State House tonight.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #58 on: November 27, 2006, 02:10:44 PM »

Where is Bachmann's old seat?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #59 on: November 27, 2006, 02:56:25 PM »
« Edited: November 27, 2006, 02:57:59 PM by Senator BRTD »

The large blue one to the northeast of the metro below the light red one.

GOP only retained it by 5 points suprisingly. But it's not that conservative actually. People weren't aware of how nuts Bachmann was when she was first elected. In fact, she did worse there than she did district-wide, Klobuchar won it, and Bachmann could've lost reelection had she ran again.

Independence    JOHN PAUL BINKOWSKI    3014   8.11   
Republican    MICHELE BACHMANN    17806   47.90   
Democratic-Farmer-Labor    PATTY WETTERLING    16321   43.91   
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #60 on: November 27, 2006, 09:29:36 PM »

Word is that in the final race to be decided in the PA House, the Republican is up just nine votes, but this is not official (the local Dems are claiming the margin in just nine). Final official count could come tomorrow.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #61 on: November 27, 2006, 10:04:26 PM »

State House:

BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #62 on: November 27, 2006, 10:05:16 PM »

As you can see by both maps, the GOP has really lost it in rural areas.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #63 on: November 27, 2006, 10:11:48 PM »

About half the races are from 2004. All >90s are unopposed, though one in Seattle was 89.6-10.4 Dem... so close!

Repulsives lost big in suburban Seattle.
ottermax
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -6.09

P P
« Reply #64 on: November 27, 2006, 11:27:45 PM »

There was a story in the Seattle Times today about the losses of the Republicans in suburban areas of Seattle. My district was one of the few to keep their delegation split (we have two representatives and one senator per district; in mine, the 41st, my senator is a Dem, and I have one Republican rep, and one Dem rep).
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #65 on: November 28, 2006, 04:57:45 PM »

Sad  Sad  Sad

The PA GOP has lost control of the state House by one seat, giving the Dems a 102-101 makeup of the body. There are rumors about some members switching parties to give the GOP the majority but it is not going to matter (I think you can determine for yourself what that means).
NewFederalist
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -2.26

« Reply #66 on: November 28, 2006, 05:17:05 PM »

Sad  Sad  Sad

The PA GOP has lost control of the state House by one seat, giving the Dems a 102-101 makeup of the body. There are rumors about some members switching parties to give the GOP the majority but it is not going to matter (I think you can determine for yourself what that means).

This is a GOOD thing. Rep. Clymer can no longer block changes in ballot access legislation! Hooray!
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #67 on: November 28, 2006, 05:21:11 PM »

Sad  Sad  Sad

This is a GOOD thing. Rep. Clymer can no longer block changes in ballot access legislation! Hooray!

And now some Dem chairman will just continue blocking it.
NewFederalist
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -2.26

« Reply #68 on: November 28, 2006, 05:22:51 PM »

Sad  Sad  Sad

And now some Dem chairman will just continue blocking it.

Not likely. They actually believe the LP and CP will undercut Reps more than the Greens will undercut Dems. A shame nobody really considers FAIRNESS!
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #69 on: November 28, 2006, 05:23:20 PM »

Damn, my map's out of date already.

Was it the open Chester seat?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #70 on: November 28, 2006, 05:25:15 PM »

Yes, it was Elinor Taylor's seat. That seat was also completely written off by the PA GOP.

Not likely. They actually believe the LP and CP will undercut Reps more than the Greens will undercut Dems. A shame nobody really considers FAIRNESS!

I bet they still block it but we'll see.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #71 on: November 28, 2006, 05:30:11 PM »

Yep, Chester. Good blog here:

http://chescocount.blogspot.com/
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #72 on: November 28, 2006, 05:32:44 PM »

The best one for what goes on in Harrisburg - http://www.harrisburgbuzz.blogspot.com/
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #73 on: November 29, 2006, 12:30:25 AM »

GOP officials say they are far from conceding the Chester county race. Leaders are said to be going over several options. They're making the point for a full recount since this is the first time Chester county has used the new voting machines but I just think that this is putting off the inevitable - we lost it, guys. Let's start working on 2008 now.
Deano963

« Reply #74 on: November 29, 2006, 12:59:38 AM »

Sad  Sad  Sad

This is extremely good news. Smiley Smiley Smiley
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies