Shockers of the election?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 12:47:23 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Shockers of the election?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Shockers of the election?  (Read 9062 times)
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: December 12, 2006, 10:17:55 PM »

It could hardly have happened to a more deserving congressperson.

I think I still have the screencap from 2002 that shows CNN calling the election for Bonilla despite the fact that he was losing in the vote totals.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #51 on: December 13, 2006, 12:42:03 AM »

It could hardly have happened to a more deserving congressperson.

I think I still have the screencap from 2002 that shows CNN calling the election for Bonilla despite the fact that he was losing in the vote totals.

Presumably the heavily Democratic areas had already reported and few if any of the heavily Republican ones had. It might seem illogical at a glance but it happens, and I've seen Dems declared winners who are behind in the votes that have been reported so far as well (if say the heavily urban areas haven't reported yet).
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #52 on: December 13, 2006, 12:45:14 AM »

Presumably the heavily Democratic areas had already reported and few if any of the heavily Republican ones had. It might seem illogical at a glance but it happens, and I've seen Dems declared winners who are behind in the votes that have been reported so far as well (if say the heavily urban areas haven't reported yet).

I've never ever ever seen this happen with a Democrat ever. However, in the 1988 presidential election, Illinois was called for Dukakis, only to be taken back later when DuPage County "found" a whole bunch of votes for Pa Bush.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #53 on: December 13, 2006, 12:46:39 AM »

It happens when there are exit polls. Bush was leading in California when it was called for Gore.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #54 on: December 13, 2006, 12:53:06 AM »

I've never ever ever seen this happen with a Democrat ever. However, in the 1988 presidential election, Illinois was called for Dukakis, only to be taken back later when DuPage County "found" a whole bunch of votes for Pa Bush.

Well Bush won Illinois by 95,000 votes approximately in 1988. Dupage turnout was only up 14,000 votes from 1984, so I think it's a bit of a stretch to say that turnout was actually at least 81,000 votes lower than it was in 1984 in actuality with the 95,000 extra manufactured votes....

Bush won Dupage by 123,000, which is down from Reagan's 155,000 vote margin in 1988. A Republican margin of only 28,000 in Dupage would've been lower than any Republican had won in that county since 1944 (and also lower than the Republican margin has ever been since 1988, despite Dupage's overall sharp turn to the left in the meantime), so again, seems a bit of a stretch.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #55 on: December 13, 2006, 12:56:24 AM »

I think some of the other suburban counties contributed to that though.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #56 on: December 13, 2006, 12:56:48 AM »

Maryland was called for O'Malley while Ehrlich was leading in the polls.
Mike in Maryland
Rookie

« Reply #57 on: December 13, 2006, 12:49:38 PM »

Maryland was called for O'Malley while Ehrlich was leading in the polls.

That's because the GOP-leaning areas of the state tend to report first.  I don't know why that is, except that they're less populated and tend to have their vote counts done faster.

Returns from Montgomery County, Prince Georges County, and Baltimore City and County trickled in more slowly, and as they did O'Malley and Cardin moved well ahead.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies