Shockers of the election? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 11:12:40 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Shockers of the election? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Shockers of the election?  (Read 9091 times)
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« on: November 08, 2006, 05:29:31 AM »

A lot this election.  Once the results are more final, I'll point out the ones that surprised me the most.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2006, 05:44:02 AM »

A lot this election.  Once the results are more final, I'll point out the ones that surprised me the most.

Something I noticed is that the Republicans were, generally, better at holding affluent suburban districts (or mixed districts with an affluent suburban presence) than other sorts of seat.

NY-19 being an exception, I presume.  But I see your point.

Like I said earlier, the wave hit in odd places.  IN, NH and PA were decimated (with Gerlach oddly standing throughout), OH and NY were left relatively unscathed. (NY-19 being the exception)  IA, WI were hit badly and so was MN-01, but Pawlenty looks likely to survive.  Shays was left standing, Johnson was taken down, Simmons is really unknown right now.

One other thing, which I mentioned on another thread, if Wilson survives, I'm going to offer WMS a drink to toast the victory.  After calling her "dead" this morning, saying she was a good GOP Rep. who lost to a totally inferior opponent, if she manages to pull it out, this will make my election.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2006, 06:43:46 AM »

Patrick Murphy winning, but Lois losing.

Gerlach winning, Fitz and Hart losing.  I would never have predicted that, period.  Weldon and Sherwood were already gone.  Go figure.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2006, 12:04:03 PM »

It might have something to do with the gerrymander; the Ohio Republicans got it "just right", unlike the PA Republicans who were too greedy (and who have just paid for their greed).

I think it has much more to do with the fact that the Ohio GOP machinery is still very strongly in place at the lower levels of (State legislature races), which have the greatest impact on House races, imho.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2006, 02:34:03 PM »

I was surprised to see only one OH district change hands.  I thought Deborah Pryce was a goner, but she managed to pull through.  Wulsin nearly took down Schmidt, but just missed out. Sad

I assume you noticed that Schmidt performed much better in the rural counties who were so against her when she faced Hackett and yet she performed much worse in her home of Hamilton County than before.  I suspect that this means she is will become more entrenched in her CD and not less, unfortunately.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2006, 06:07:40 PM »

One other thing, which I mentioned on another thread, if Wilson survives, I'm going to offer WMS a drink to toast the victory.  After calling her "dead" this morning, saying she was a good GOP Rep. who lost to a totally inferior opponent, if she manages to pull it out, this will make my election.

While I am still awaiting the final numbers...if Wilson wins, I have my Tequila of Happiness ready, Sam. Grin Trust me, once this is official (not certain but...the remaining areas appear to favor Wilson) I am going to be one happy camper, for the reasons you stated above.

And I am so going to make a short rant when that happens. Cheesy Because Wilson deserved the seat so much more than Madrid did.

Wilson and Partick Lyons (R - Commissioner of Public Lands) are the only two races in NM that were at all in doubt, and Lyons already won his for certain...TAKE THAT, JIM BACA! Grin *does the happy dance*

Jim Baca lost for Land Commissioner?? In a Democratic year? WTF WMS?

Yes, he did.  New Mexico can be an odd state at times.  Tongue 

52.5% to 47.5% at last count.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies