Kerry's VP
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 04:01:41 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  Kerry's VP
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Author Topic: Kerry's VP  (Read 12314 times)
PeteLI66

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: February 06, 2004, 10:53:17 AM »

As I posted in another thread, while it looked for awhile that Edwards was the shoo-in for VP, I now think that Gephardt looks like the best pick for Kerry. I think Gep's endorsement of Kerry yesterday is part of the staging of his pick as VP. For Gephardt, it makes sense. His dreams of Speaker are all washed up, why not try a shot at VP, maybe he'll get to the Presidency that way?

Gephardt is seen as a more serious politician than Edwards, he could be valuable in the key midwest and border South states - IA, WS, MN, MO, OH, MI, WV, and AK, spreading the Dem gospel about the loss of jobs, the health care mess, etc., and trying to bang out the union vote.

Interesting.......This all makes sense. But I hestate to agree, because of one term used: "Washed up." And unfortunately Gephardt sort of is washed up, in general. That's why I think Kerry may not choose Gephardt. Fresh faces or rising stars are more like to be chosen as VPs, I think.
Mort from NewYawk
MortfromNewYawk

« Reply #76 on: February 06, 2004, 11:02:51 AM »

Not necessarily. The Dems have been burnt this year with rising stars (remember that guy named Dean?).

This year, it's name recognition, gravitas, and for VP, someone who people are comfortable with being a heartbeat from the Presidency.

Gephardt balances Kerry nicely on trade issues. He's also a nice balance as the midwestern "common man" to Kerry's elite Northeast persona.
zachman

« Reply #77 on: February 06, 2004, 03:15:11 PM »

Gephardt just represents a weaker less polished version of Kerry. He has been around too long, and I brand him as a weak democrat, for his stardom near the 2002 midterm elections. It also knocks off any chances Kerry wants at trying to play as an outsider.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies