Webb May Be Senate Maverick
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 03:37:10 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Webb May Be Senate Maverick
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Webb May Be Senate Maverick  (Read 2233 times)
Virginian87
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: -3.55, S: 2.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 11, 2006, 01:48:16 PM »

Check this article out from The Washington Post.  It's a little long, but worth the read:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/11/11/AR2006111100471.html

Here are some excerpts:

Webb's long shot paid off last week as he unseated Allen after a bruising campaign, giving Democrats control of the Senate.

With the campaign having centered on Allen's gaffes as much as it did on Webb's views on issues, few know what to expect when the former Marine and novelist enters the nation's most exclusive club, where the art of the deal rules the day.

But Webb, a former Republican and Reagan administration official, said he might be a bit of a maverick in the Senate, which could frustrate Democratic leaders who poured more than $6 million into his campaign.

"I have my own views, and I have a lot of experiences, and I think I can bring the experiences I had to issues rather than having to read off a party briefing sheet," Webb said Friday in an interview.

Webb said he will model himself after former New York senator Daniel Patrick Moynihan (D), whom he described as someone "who had government experience that was shaped by the intellectual world."

But being a senator can be as much about politics as policy, and Webb on the campaign trail was almost the antithesis of the typical politician.

"My perspective is Jim will be a much better and happier senator than senatorial candidate," said former Virginia lieutenant governor Donald S. Beyer Jr. (D). "I don't think he is a natural candidate, but he is very bright, strong-principled and apparently fearless. I think he can be a very strong voice in the Senate. He will be very comfortable working with 99 other senators to solve problems."

Rep. Thomas M. Davis III (R-Va.) said Webb has "a keen intellect" and will do fine in the Senate, once he understands its frustrations.

"It will test his patience, as it does all of us," said Davis, who has known Webb since the two coached Little League games together in Fairfax County.

Voters also should prepare for Webb's libertarian views on such issues as his support for abortion and gun rights and concern about some of President Bush's tactics in the war on terrorism, including the domestic wiretapping program.

"Government does not belong in people's private lives unless there is a compelling reason," Webb said.

Despite a desire to be portrayed as independent, Webb plans to become engaged with the state's Democratic Party. He said he plans to start helping Gov. Timothy M. Kaine (D) with his effort to elect more Democrats to the General Assembly next year.

"I want to do what I can to bring people back into the party," Webb said.

Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2006, 01:55:17 PM »

Voters also should prepare for Webb's libertarian views on such issues as his support for abortion and gun rights and concern about some of President Bush's tactics in the war on terrorism, including the domestic wiretapping program.

"Government does not belong in people's private lives unless there is a compelling reason," Webb said.

Despite a desire to be portrayed as independent, Webb plans to become engaged with the state's Democratic Party. He said he plans to start helping Gov. Timothy M. Kaine (D) with his effort to elect more Democrats to the General Assembly next year.

Somehow I don't think this guy is going to frustrate Democrats that much... Tongue

I'm liking Webb more and more the more I hear about him.
Deano963

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2006, 02:15:58 PM »

No surprises there.
Conan
conan

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2006, 02:32:27 PM »

He's gonna be a fine democratic senator.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2006, 02:38:14 PM »

he will be an asshole and  a misogynist, just like private citizen webb was.
Adlai Stevenson
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2006, 02:39:00 PM »

Somehow I don't think this guy is going to frustrate Democrats that much... Tongue

TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.25, S: -2.72

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2006, 03:55:26 PM »

Webb will be an excellent Senator. He's a rising star in the Democratic party.

The only bad thing is that he's already 60 years old.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2006, 04:05:15 PM »

Webb will be an excellent Senator. He's a rising star in the Democratic party.

The only bad thing is that he's already 60 years old.

He's still a lot younger than Byrd, Stevens, Lautenberg, and the HI Senators.
RBH

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2006, 04:46:38 PM »

So Jim Webb is a lot like Paul Hackett?
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2006, 05:04:37 PM »

Jim Webb is really going to have to  keep to the political center and not go off to the left or he will be quickly shot out of the sky in this state.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2006, 05:16:05 PM »

Jim Webb is really going to have to  keep to the political center and not go off to the left or he will be quickly shot out of the sky in this state.

What was left will soon be center.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.25, S: -2.72

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2006, 05:24:50 PM »

Please define your version of the political center.
Conan
conan

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2006, 08:04:27 PM »

Thats where your wrong. VA is trending left. He was elected left, he'll serve relatively left.
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2006, 02:11:04 AM »

Thats where your wrong. VA is trending left. He was elected left, he'll serve relatively left.

God your hackishnesh never disappoints to surprise me! VA is still a Republican state we have Republicans holding both Lt. Governor and AG offices and in which both politcans a pretty populer epecsilly with the AG. not to mention we also control the state legaslature although the state Senate is only a small majority but it has always been that way for both parties and we hold the state assembly by a large majority. Also the Republicans are in big time control of the State's House delagation. So VA is still very much a Republican state at heart.     
AuH2O
YaBB God

« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2006, 02:50:42 AM »

Webb was very classy at his victory rally, praising Allen for his service in the Senate and some other things that quieted the crowd a bit. I do think it's possible Webb will wind up a little less like Kerry and Schumer than a lot of Democrats would like.

Virginia has been "trending left" for 175 years but has managed to stay center-right. Many uneducated observers of Virginia politics, i.e. most of the Democrats in this forum, mistake Virginia's unique political character for a trend.

While Duke won the white vote in Louisiana, Virginia elected the nation's first black Governor. People like Wilder and now Webb, in terms of their politics, have always been able to compete in Virginia. Nothing's changed. Hillary Clinton for one won't be competitive here.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2006, 05:04:04 AM »

^^^^^^^^^

Pro-choice + Anti-Iraq= My kind of Democrat.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2006, 05:06:38 AM »

Webb was very classy at his victory rally, praising Allen for his service in the Senate and some other things that quieted the crowd a bit. I do think it's possible Webb will wind up a little less like Kerry and Schumer than a lot of Democrats would like.

Virginia has been "trending left" for 175 years but has managed to stay center-right. Many uneducated observers of Virginia politics, i.e. most of the Democrats in this forum, mistake Virginia's unique political character for a trend.

While Duke won the white vote in Louisiana, Virginia elected the nation's first black Governor. People like Wilder and now Webb, in terms of their politics, have always been able to compete in Virginia. Nothing's changed. Hillary Clinton for one won't be competitive here.

Hillary Clinton will not be the democratic nominee.
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2006, 11:21:53 AM »

You're right on that for instence VA doesn't elected exterme left-wingers like alot of Mid-Atlantic states which some Democratic forum members claim VA is becoming 
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2006, 11:26:13 AM »

Depends what you think Radical left wingers are.

However, VA is trending more Democratic... not left. VA does not have the demographics to be trending left - it DOES in the populated areas of the north and the south east appear to have a democratic lean going on.
AuH2O
YaBB God

« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2006, 03:25:14 PM »

Well Virginia is more fiscally conservative than socially. So the Republicans high-spending ways in Washington doesn't play well here.

The movement towards Democrats is national, not local to Virginia or anywhere else. The GOP has bled slowly for a while and in '06 got pasted. When one party has some national success, it makes it look like various states are trending their way, when in fact they are not.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies