McCain vs. Obama
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 12:06:12 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  McCain vs. Obama
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Who wins?
(R) McCain/Romney

(D) Obama/Richardson

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 33

Author Topic: McCain vs. Obama  (Read 8250 times)
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 16, 2006, 04:59:55 AM »

Senator John McCain of AZ wins the Republican Nomination against main contenders Governor Mitt Romney of MA, and Governor Mike Huckabee of AR who ran as conservative alternatives to Senator McCain.

McCain's short list of running mates includes:::
(R-KS) Senator Brownback
(R-MS) Governor Barbour
(R-MN) Governor Pawlenty
(R-MA) Governor Romney
(R-SC) Governor Sanford

Senator McCain chooses Governor Romney as a narrow pick over Governor Pawlenty.

Senator Barack Obama of IL runs a hard campaign against main contenders Senator Hillary Clinton of NY, Senator John Edwards of NC, and Governor Bill Richardson of NM.

Obama wins the Democratic Nomination, and his running mate short list includes:
(D-IA) Governor Vilsack
(D-AR) General Clark
(D-NM) Governor Richardson

Obama chooses Richardson as his running mate.

(R) McCain-Romney vs. (D) Obama-Richardson

WHO WINS? LET'S SEE MAPS!
adam
Captain Vlad
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -5.04

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2006, 10:40:40 AM »

McCain in a landslide. The map would look something close to 1988.
Michael Z
Mike
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: -5.88, S: -4.72

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2006, 10:46:14 AM »

Something like this?

Not entirely sure how MN, WI, OR or WA would go, though.

A McCain/Romney ticket is probably the best possible option for the GOP. While I like Obama, he is simply too inexperienced to run for President (yes, the said the same about JFK blah blah, but, still), but that said, he would make a good running mate and could use that to gear up for a run in 2012.
elcorazon

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2006, 12:33:27 PM »

I think Obama would win easily barring a major gaffe or some sort of scandal, which hopefully would prevent Obama from winning the nomination.  It's not all about ideology or experience, and most voters, I suspect, would connect better with Obama.  I'm not going to do a map, but I think it might surprise a lot of you.

Also, I hate the idea of Obama as veep.  He adds no experience to the ticket and his vision/charisma is deflated by being the second fiddle (see Edwards in 2004).  If Obama fails to win the nomination, he should not accept a veep slot, but build up his resume in other ways (in the Senate, or possibly by cleaning up Illinois State Gov't in the governor's mansion).
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2006, 01:05:03 PM »

I think Obama would win easily barring a major gaffe or some sort of scandal, which hopefully would prevent Obama from winning the nomination.  It's not all about ideology or experience, and most voters, I suspect, would connect better with Obama.  I'm not going to do a map, but I think it might surprise a lot of you.

Also, I hate the idea of Obama as veep.  He adds no experience to the ticket and his vision/charisma is deflated by being the second fiddle (see Edwards in 2004).  If Obama fails to win the nomination, he should not accept a veep slot, but build up his resume in other ways (in the Senate, or possibly by cleaning up Illinois State Gov't in the governor's mansion).

What has Obama done compared to McCain that would make him a strong national security President?
elcorazon

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2006, 01:17:54 PM »
« Edited: November 16, 2006, 01:39:06 PM by elcorazon »

What has Obama done compared to McCain that would make him a strong national security President?
nothing. who said that people will automatically vote for the stronger "national security president"?  So long as people have good feelings about Obama, people will trust him to do the right thing.  I know it was pre-9/11, but Bush' national security resume was pretty empty prior to the 2000 election as well.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2006, 01:19:40 PM »

It depends on the priority, Adam. McCain may be a good National Security guy, but if the economy takes a nosedive or whatever, Obama could always pull out a Bill Clinton.
auburntiger
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.61, S: 0.65

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2006, 01:36:30 PM »

Something like this. Comfortable win for McCain. 334-204

Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2010, 12:29:17 PM »

This thread is a lesson for us all.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2010, 02:06:27 PM »

Yes...but I'm shocked that indeed it was John McCain beating Mike Huckabee and Mitt Romney...as in November 2006...Huckabee's chances were slim.
feeblepizza
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.45, S: -0.26

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2010, 09:07:25 PM »

I voted for a McCain victory just for the hell of it Cheesy
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2010, 09:13:36 PM »

I posted this a month after this thread was started.

It's going to be fun to watch the look on Republican's faces when their "maverick" loses to a one term black Senator from Chicago.
Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey
hantheguitarman

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2010, 11:27:09 PM »

It depends on the priority, Adam. McCain may be a good National Security guy, but if the economy takes a nosedive or whatever, Obama could always pull out a Bill Clinton.

Wow, you totally called it.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2010, 02:44:29 AM »

Yes...but I'm shocked that indeed it was John McCain beating Mike Huckabee and Mitt Romney...as in November 2006...Huckabee's chances were slim.

Tradesports #s on the 2008 GOP presidential nomination from Nov. 13, 2006:

Those were the top four on that day.  So guessing that Huckabee would be one of the finalists at that time isn't really *that* surprising.
hawkeye59
United States

« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2010, 08:16:25 AM »

Prophetic!
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies