A statement on recent events
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 06:24:21 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  A statement on recent events
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: A statement on recent events  (Read 1980 times)
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 29, 2022, 05:53:05 PM »

Oh god, where do I start.

Well first and foremost, I'm going to tell what this post won't be about, it isn't going to be about what you think it is about. Instead I'm going to comment on a certain double standard that I see.

So, to begin with, it seems that the intent is to suppress well founded controversies of the Federalist Party to continue to harangue the Labor Party over actions that did not actually violate the TOS. The fact that we have seen a desire to now infract discussions of actual actions that did violate the TOS is an alarming move away from the consensus that the TOS should always come before Atlasia.

Let's just start with the fact that LouisvilleThunder, as is well known by now, doxxed someone. It should be noted that the TOS forbids transmitting information that is "invasive of another's privacy." While this is such a broad term, it can be safely presumed that doxxing falls within this category. So, now you may enquire what has been done about such a blatant violation of the TOS by such a prominent political official. Well I regret to disappointment you by stating that no action has been taken none. Also with the recent hardline desire to promote discussion of the current plot, any discussion of this event would be deemed non germane or so it seems. Not to mention, the consequences of this event are obviously far more severe than the consequences of the plot, the fact that we focus so much on the latter than the former is frankly an indictment of us as a society, but also on the individual level, as people.

Unfortunately, LouisvilleThunder is not the only right winger to have committed blatant TOS violations. Fhtagn is someone with a long history of TOS violations, yet discussions of these are deemed non germane. In fact, when confronted on this she said that she thinks that merely being offended by the thought of fascist dictator Benito Mussolini going to heaven is abnormal. Unfortunately, when confronted on this issue, it was impossible to elaborate on it further, because it was deemed not germane yet again. To cite the specific part of the TOS to which this applies, language that promotes "racism, bigotry, and hatred" is not allowed. If saying that a man who committed mass human rights violations and aided Nazi Germany in their war crimes and genocidal actions went to heaven is not promoting bigotry and hatred, I don't know what is. So at this point, we must ask ourself, why is discussion of these issues being suppressed. Why does the opposition simply shut down any form of criticism of themselves, but it gets even worse.

Mr. Reactionary is another member of the right wing who is notorious for a history of TOS violations, including one where he compared me to a member of the upper crest of the Nazi Party, not only a blatant personal attack, but frankly an extremely disrespectful one which downplays the evil of fascist ideology. The fact that ideas resembling some form of right wing authoritarianism, though not doctrinaire fascism, are gaining support in our mainstream further underlines this need. But no matter the form of antidemocratic right wing authoritarianism, downplaying its threat is ridiculous.

However, this is not even the worst of this. The worst is that I am expected to reconcile with these people. I must put these issues aside so we can discuss an issue that has literally no TOS violations. At this point, we have reached the point where Atlasia seems to trump the TOS, this is a very, very dangerous path for the game to undergo, and more people should think about this and the implications it carries than whatever they currently think of.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2022, 06:04:29 PM »

I have never infected anything that doesn't violate the TOS.

Atlasia exists under a littany of exceptions on trolling and spamming that would be infracted elsewhere. This includes derailing threads with off topic conversation, one of which was reported and I no actioned it because I am a very patient man. Most of the time when this happens I just split the topic and select no violation counted when I do act.

S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2022, 06:06:09 PM »

^ This does nothing to address my broader point, especially that derailing is apparently more important than doxxing someone. Until LT is sanctioned for what he did, I don't think the right has any leg to stand on here.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2022, 06:08:25 PM »
« Edited: April 29, 2022, 06:15:00 PM by Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee »

^ This does nothing to address my broader point, especially that derailing is apparently more important than doxxing someone. Until LT is sanctioned for what he did, I don't think the right has any leg to stand on here.

I am on my phone, at work on lunch. Ten paragraph dismantlings happen at 4 am for a reason.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2022, 06:10:06 PM »

One thing that has come to attention is people are very much not aware of the how the moderation system works.

North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2022, 06:12:11 PM »

The old "how can you attack Xahar, while defending Napoleon" trope. I am sure that will hold up in court.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2022, 06:15:31 PM »

The old "how can you attack Xahar, while defending Napoleon" trope. I am sure that will hold up in court.

What court? Trying this while letting LT off scot free would be utterly ridiculous. Also frankly if this is going to become a game where Discord plots matter more than the very real consequence of divulging personal information, then I'm not sure it's for me anymore. It's really a shame that this is getting far more oxygen than that incident.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2022, 06:15:55 PM »

Well first and foremost, I'm going to tell what this post won't be about, it isn't going to be about what you think it is about. Instead I'm going to comment on a certain double standard that I see.

So, to begin with, it seems that the intent is to suppress well founded controversies of the Federalist Party to continue to harangue the Labor Party over actions that did not actually violate the TOS. The fact that we have seen a desire to now infract discussions of actual actions that did violate the TOS is an alarming move away from the consensus that the TOS should always come before Atlasia.

Let's just start with the fact that LouisvilleThunder, as is well known by now, doxxed someone. It should be noted that the TOS forbids transmitting information that is "invasive of another's privacy." While this is such a broad term, it can be safely presumed that doxxing falls within this category. So, now you may enquire what has been done about such a blatant violation of the TOS by such a prominent political official. Well I regret to disappointment you by stating that no action has been taken none. Also with the recent hardline desire to promote discussion of the current plot, any discussion of this event would be deemed non germane or so it seems. Not to mention, the consequences of this event are obviously far more severe than the consequences of the plot, the fact that we focus so much on the latter than the former is frankly an indictment of us as a society, but also on the individual level, as people.

Unfortunately, LouisvilleThunder is not the only right winger to have committed blatant TOS violations. Fhtagn is someone with a long history of TOS violations, yet discussions of these are deemed non germane. In fact, when confronted on this she said that she thinks that merely being offended by the thought of fascist dictator Benito Mussolini going to heaven is abnormal. Unfortunately, when confronted on this issue, it was impossible to elaborate on it further, because it was deemed not germane yet again. To cite the specific part of the TOS to which this applies, language that promotes "racism, bigotry, and hatred" is not allowed. If saying that a man who committed mass human rights violations and aided Nazi Germany in their war crimes and genocidal actions went to heaven is not promoting bigotry and hatred, I don't know what is. So at this point, we must ask ourself, why is discussion of these issues being suppressed. Why does the opposition simply shut down any form of criticism of themselves, but it gets even worse.

Mr. Reactionary is another member of the right wing who is notorious for a history of TOS violations, including one where he compared me to a member of the upper crest of the Nazi Party, not only a blatant personal attack, but frankly an extremely disrespectful one which downplays the evil of fascist ideology. The fact that ideas resembling some form of right wing authoritarianism, though not doctrinaire fascism, are gaining support in our mainstream further underlines this need. But no matter the form of antidemocratic right wing authoritarianism, downplaying its threat is ridiculous.

However, this is not even the worst of this. The worst is that I am expected to reconcile with these people. I must put these issues aside so we can discuss an issue that has literally no TOS violations. At this point, we have reached the point where Atlasia seems to trump the TOS, this is a very, very dangerous path for the game to undergo, and more people should think about this and the implications it carries than whatever they currently think of.
I certainly agree with your point on the doxxings, especially given how easy it is to blur out personal information. There absolutely should be forum wide discipline against anyone who doxxes. That is something you should constantly bring up with moderation in a different folder. But LT should not ever be forgiven for intentional doxxing nor will he be.

As for the other things? I’m sorry but I am strongly inclined to disagree. Fhtagn and MrReactionary have already been flagged for their TOS violations, and let’s be real those aren’t exactly severe offenses that pose real life danger. Those are things that are handled by moderation, not the mob, for good reason. While indeed their personal attacks and rhetoric outside of Atlasia absolutely at times have crossed the line, that is a separate issue and you trying to bring it up is downright pathetic if we are being honest.

And no you aren’t expected to be best friends with these guys, but you are expected to not instigate a motherf**king coup because you get bored with your power.

Frankly your entire post is amusing. Others will be far better at explaining how ridiculous you sound right now, but a meme is worth 1000 words.

S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2022, 06:19:29 PM »

I certainly agree with your point on the doxxings, especially given how easy it is to blur out personal information. There absolutely should be forum wide discipline against anyone who doxxes. That is something you should constantly bring up with moderation in a different folder. But LT should not ever be forgiven for intentional doxxing nor will he be.

This is where you're wrong, he has, at least by the right. They all gleefully support him as Southern governor and for President. Frankly, it's utterly disgusting behavior.

As for the other things? I’m sorry but I am strongly inclined to disagree. Fhtagn and MrReactionary have already been flagged for their TOS violations, and let’s be real those aren’t exactly severe offenses that pose real life danger. Those are things that are handled by moderation, not the mob, for good reason. While indeed their personal attacks and rhetoric outside of Atlasia absolutely at times have crossed the line, that is a separate issue and you trying to bring it up is downright pathetic if we are being honest.

It is not pathetic because the TOS does trump any Atlasia concerns and discussing TOS violations is a far more serious issue for forum culture.

And no you aren’t expected to be best friends with these guys, but you are expected to not instigate a motherf**king coup because you get bored with your power.

I did not instigate or plan that plot, please go find other talking points.

North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2022, 06:23:50 PM »
« Edited: April 29, 2022, 06:27:26 PM by Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee »

Doesn't your logic apply in reverse? Why should in game discussion be put on hold or the game held hostage because you disagree with the actions of the forum administration?

Your post was reported and I no sanctioned it and instead posted a warning in the thread. Would you have rather I deleted it all and infracted you? It wasn't even a fed who reported it if we play by your logic.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2022, 06:37:14 PM »

This is where you're wrong, he has, at least by the right. They all gleefully support him as Southern governor and for President. Frankly, it's utterly disgusting behavior.

It is not pathetic because the TOS does trump any Atlasia concerns and discussing TOS violations is a far more serious issue for forum culture.

1. The vast majority of voters do not nor will ever support LT’s disgusting behavior.
2. So are you gonna argue that anyone with a violation should never run for office again? Moderation has already dealt with them, and if you didn’t like how they’ve dealt with them, why didn’t you bring it up persistently until the moment you conveniently needed an excuse to change the conversation?
3. And yet here you are, trying to get everyone to ignore it. Are you listening S019, I was f**king rooting for you, I wrote your f**king name in protest on ballots in the past, and you then pull this. Do you have no sense of shame nor a bone of dignity in you? Why are you trying to downplay this? What is your gain here? Apologize to the people of this country, or does the S stand for spineless?
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2022, 06:45:14 PM »

1. The vast majority of voters do not nor will ever support LT’s disgusting behavior.

The majority in the South do, that is still too many.

2. So are you gonna argue that anyone with a violation should never run for office again? Moderation has already dealt with them, and if you didn’t like how they’ve dealt with them, why didn’t you bring it up persistently until the moment you conveniently needed an excuse to change the conversation?

My friend, my issue is that they try to lecture me on what's right and wrong and it just ends up as a case of the plot calling the kettle black. I am not going to be lectured by them of all people.

3. And yet here you are, trying to get everyone to ignore it. Are you listening S019, I was f**king rooting for you, I wrote your f**king name in protest on ballots in the past, and you then pull this. Do you have no sense of shame nor a bone of dignity in you? Why are you trying to downplay this? What is your gain here? Apologize to the people of this country, or does the S stand for spineless?

Quite frankly, the greatest sense of shame I have is not leaving this hellhole. I do apologize to the people, in fact, I apologize for continuing to allow this game to exist after the LT incident by not encouraging mass deregistrations as protest. I do apologize for that, I do apologize for not calling out this culture aggressively enough and letting it become entrenched as normal. What I do not apologize to the people for is for educating them on the actual truth about the opposition and not letting them be easily influenced by this controversy. I am proud to be giving people the full story here and letting them judge for themselves.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2022, 06:58:32 PM »

The majority in the South do, that is still too many.

My friend, my issue is that they try to lecture me on what's right and wrong and it just ends up as a case of the plot calling the kettle black. I am not going to be lectured by them of all people.

Quite frankly, the greatest sense of shame I have is not leaving this hellhole. I do apologize to the people, in fact, I apologize for continuing to allow this game to exist after the LT incident by not encouraging mass deregistrations as protest. I do apologize for that, I do apologize for not calling out this culture aggressively enough and letting it become entrenched as normal. What I do not apologize to the people for is for educating them on the actual truth about the opposition and not letting them be easily influenced by this controversy. I am proud to be giving people the full story here and letting them judge for themselves.

LT is not an excuse you can just use to justify whatever you want, yknow? If it were up to me LT would be barred from running for public office, and you can and should continue to call him out at all costs. But LT doesn’t excuse this attempt at a coup without any public support. And let’s be clear here, this is a common tactic used by politicians when they get caught with their hand in the cookie jar, bring up a completely unrelated incident and hope it gets heat off of them.
At the end of the day doxxing is wrong, coups are wrong, you all should be ashamed.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2022, 07:55:43 PM »

Attacking my religious views makes you a bigot.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2022, 10:36:00 PM »

Quite frankly, the greatest sense of shame I have is not leaving this hellhole. I do apologize to the people, in fact, I apologize for continuing to allow this game to exist after the LT incident by not encouraging mass deregistrations as protest.

You see Forumlurker's response was actually nice and reasonable, but S019s comes off as quite angry.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2022, 10:41:13 PM »

I apologize for continuing to allow this game to exist

This is the exact same hubris that was written all over the logs and was likewise present in 2015. This attitude of self-righteousness, hubris and quite frankly disdain for other people, that makes a certain group every so often, elect themselves lord high executioner with the mission to destroy the game.

I think, after being on the receiving end of three of these very similar situations with this same attitude manifested, it is reasonable of me to ask why this mindset develops?
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2022, 10:47:13 PM »
« Edited: April 29, 2022, 10:50:51 PM by Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee »

What I do not apologize to the people for is for educating them on the actual truth about the opposition and not letting them be easily influenced by this controversy. I am proud to be giving people the full story here and letting them judge for themselves.

Right because Tack (who first prosectuted LT), Scott (Whose issues with LT are famous), WB (likewise), WxTransit (Likewise), and so on and such forth, did all they have the past month, because they just love LT so much?

Press X to doubt.

You guys screwed up, 1/6 style denialism, and whataboutery befitting a Republican Congressman, ain't gonna change that fact.

The other thing is and since you are so concerned about getting the full story. The strategy was to goad LT to the point that his ego made him become the face of the opposition, thus ensuring that the plot would succeed because a unified opposition could not form.

Fortunately LT did the smart thing, and for the most part, kept his mouth shut and that was the first big setback for the plotters.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2022, 11:13:08 PM »

What court? Trying this while letting LT off scot free would be utterly ridiculous.

You know what, screw it. I am going to go there.

What I want to know is how it can became the general narrative in the Labor discords of the world, that LT getting off with a DoJ run by Dirty Fing Harry himself and a Supreme Court 4-1 Labor aligned was anything other than the result sheer rank incompetence on the part of Labor somewhere (Due note I am not attacking Tack here, he had RL stuff and frankly real life should trump the game).

The only real delay on LT's side was inability to find an attorney. People (Jambles) presumed I could, should and thus would be so but I had conflicts in game and RL obligations likewise that had to come first. Regardless of how much you despise LT, he still has a right to counsel in a trial under the law, not that you care much about that sort of thing. Even so it was not the result of any delaying actions on LT's side that the first attempt failed, it was because Tack wasn't able to continue.

His replacement, whose incompetence should by now not be in a doubt in anyone's mind, blew a whole month working on a meme secessionist effort in the Northeast before deciding, "let's try LT again".

If there wasn't such rampant hubris and narcissism going around Labor discords, their should have been an acknowledgement that it was a screw up. Instead, Crane went after Windjammer in a rather embarrassing episode and you guys peddled this "obstruction" angle, which is not what happened and if it did, a competent prosecution would have dealt with it.

What you are saying is, the Truman wing of Labor screws up and the game has to die at the hands of Truman's crew because of it? That because your crew couldn't successfully carry out a prosecution, you have immunity for all future crimes?
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2022, 11:28:17 PM »
« Edited: April 29, 2022, 11:35:50 PM by Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee »

Are you saying that the game should be responsible for TOS enforcement? You said in one breath that the forum administration (TOS) should be above the game and the next minute you are saying they should be mixed?

At least try to get your bs somewhat straight S019.

1. LT's TOS violation was an issue for the forum administration and it was addressed by the forum administration at that time. You may disagree with the severity of the sanction, but this is the wrong board for that.

The Game doesn't enforce the TOS.

2. The game internally has a law that prohibits doxxing. LT was prosecuted under that law (see my previous post).

3. In case you guys are confused, I am a Moderator, not Modadmin, not Admin, just a moderator of a low traffic board. I am just a band-aide man at best. Someone posts information here on this board, I can delete it, edit it out etc (which I did Monday morning). But if it is not on my board (or offsite), that is beyond any power that I have. I offer my input on what should be done, others offer theirs, but I don't make the final decisions (I have a lot of respect for those who do, because someone will always be pissed now matter how you play it).

I generally put a lot of thought into what I delete and moderate and I ask YE's opinion frequently.

4. YE as modadmin has moderator access to all boards and basically functions as a defacto co-mod for these boards since it is low traffic comparatively speaking and thus doesn't warrant a second dedicated one now a days.

5. The only things I have threatened to moderate in this situation are "spam/fake oaths" in the swearing in thread and I threatened to split a topic that was getting off task (without infraction).

So S019, you can drop the faux mod fascism angle.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2022, 11:41:17 PM »

You are not going to win a battle of words with Yankee, friend. Please cease.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2022, 11:55:06 PM »

You are not going to win a battle of words with Yankee, friend. Please cease.

I will miss going toe to toe with Truman, like back in December. I don't know if he enjoyed it, but I sure did and a number of others did too until certain folks had to ruin it.

AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2022, 02:06:39 AM »

1. LT's TOS violation was an issue for the forum administration and it was addressed by the forum administration at that time. You may disagree with the severity of the sanction, but this is the wrong board for that.

The Game doesn't enforce the TOS.

2. The game internally has a law that prohibits doxxing. LT was prosecuted under that law (see my previous post).

What's astounding is I'm pretty sure no one involved ever even considered reporting LT's actions to Discord. The site he actually doxxed on. Which has pretty strong rules against doxxing. That probably would've resulted in a ban from the site.
Deep Dixieland Senator, Muad'dib (OSR MSR)
Muaddib
Australia

« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2022, 02:40:50 AM »

Quote from: Translation
I was only following orders

Deep Dixieland Senator, Muad'dib (OSR MSR)
Muaddib
Australia

« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2022, 02:49:56 AM »

Quote from: Parallels
When additional information was brought forward that forced Eichmann into admitting what he had done, Eichmann would insist he had no authority in the Nazi hierarchy and was only following orders.

Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2022, 03:19:45 AM »
« Edited: April 30, 2022, 03:24:51 AM by tack50 »

For the record I will say the "real life issues" that prevented me from doing a competent prosecution were sheer lazyness and loss of interest Tongue (I'd say last summer was when I gradually started losing interest on Atlasia). There was a period of about 1 week where I was genuinely unable to do stuff since I was on vacation and I do recall some issues with exactly how we could have been able to present the evicence or not; but that's it. I was algo genuinely busy with my life starting in mid-September since that's when I moved to Madrid irl, but that still would have left me with 2 full months to do a competent prosecution.

I believe I apologized to the people involved on private for my sheer incompetence and I will issue an apology again to the people involved (they know who they are). The fact LT is "walking on the street" is on me and my own incompetence alone and I suppose one of the biggest regrets of my time here that I was unable to give him at lest some semblance of punishment. Not like that justifies the coup attempts.

Unrelated to all of this, I did not expect S019 of all people to be the one pulling a huge angry post. S019's changes in his time in the site are huge and mostly for the better tbh.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies